Bump Stock ban

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Bump Stock ban

Post by VENT625 »

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27379/tr ... benshapiro

Never really cared for these...I knew they would be trouble when they came out, just surprised it took this long. I have no hate, no cheer for this decision. I personally think its a way for the man to show he's willing to work nice with others......some will call BS and say that rights are being taken away.....people are cashing in on GB.....some going for over $400 bucks.....anyone own one of these? What say you?
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bump Stock ban

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

I do not own one and never care to but it is wrong to try to classify it as anything but an accessory, it requires the user to apply forward pressure with the support hand and thus could in no way be classified as a machingun bc it does not initiate full auto fire.

If you go back in time and look at the design someone once designed a bumpfiring stock mechanism fot the 10/22 that originally was approved but later taken back bc the use of springs behind the action in the stock that sustained the reaction and making it function almost alone, i forget the name of that stock.

But its complete rubbish that Trump or anyone could classify it as anything but an accessory bc it can NOT sustain the reaction alone but must be made to keep functioning by the shooter holding CONSISTENT FORWARWARD PRESSURE (not to mention the semiauto trigger group that has no auto function : hence not a machine gun.)

Sort of funny how the ATF opens for comment on the whole matter and now the dirtbag politicians are trying their best to circumvent and disregard all order that is in place........

"if you give liberal a bumpstock.......he'll ask for your black rifle too.....if you give a liberal your rifle....he'll kidnap your wife and kids too..."

Where does the infringement stop on the 2A?
There is no such thing as a compromise for the 2A ever !

( sorry guys, preaching to the choir i know.)

Besides if anyone wanted to commit a crime with a machinegun it doesnt take a genious to figure out how to obtain one ILLEGALLY or ILLEGALLY convert one of many guns out there to do it, to waste time with a bumpstock is nothing more than a political move to shave the hide off liberty and the hide being shaved will be the law abiding citizen's even if they dont care to own a bumpstock.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the problem with this is - its not gonna be just bump stocks - it cant be just bump stocks. they're going to have to go after ROF (Rate of fire) modifiers as a group. otherwise the regulation/law/whatever wont stick in a court of law.

so here goes the bmf activator for your 10/22, any of the crank style trigger actuators, binary trigger systems, bump stocks and who knows what the hell else until we find out the language used.

and once you start messing with ROF modifiers, whats to stop the definition of a ROF modifier down the road from being changed to include match style short travel/reset trigger groups (ie timney's, etc) and lightweight bcg's, reduced power buffer springs and lighter weight buffer systems? or magazine size because by its very nature, smaller magazines will slow the ROF of any firearm due to the need to reload more often.

i am not a happy trump supporter right now, and the GOP is in the process of sinking to an all time low. :oops: :oops:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

plant.one wrote:the problem with this is - its not gonna be just bump stocks - it cant be just bump stocks. they're going to have to go after ROF (Rate of fire) modifiers as a group. otherwise the regulation/law/whatever wont stick in a court of law.

so here goes the bmf activator for your 10/22, any of the crank style trigger actuators, binary trigger systems, bump stocks and who knows what the hell else until we find out the language used.

and once you start messing with ROF modifiers, whats to stop the definition of a ROF modifier down the road from being changed to include match style short travel/reset trigger groups (ie timney's, etc) and lightweight bcg's, reduced power buffer springs and lighter weight buffer systems? or magazine size because by its very nature, smaller magazines will slow the ROF of any firearm due to the need to reload more often.

i am not a happy trump supporter right now, and the GOP is in the process of sinking to an all time low. :oops: :oops:

Yeah, it's all horse apples !
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

I have one. It’s on my 15-22. Still haven’t figured it out to work as advertised. Can get it to rapid fire a couple, then stop. I can rapid fire faster with my finger. Wasn’t worth the money I paid for it. But I can’t see them coming after just this when custom triggers can be adjusted to like 2 oz and a fast finger could rapid fire. Think the government will have to reclassify what a machine gun is in order to ban bump fire mechanisms!

I looked this up, ATF classification of a machine gun ....
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-g ... initions-0

Not sure how bump fire was cleared for sale after reading this.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

There is no authority to ban gun parts.

BATFE could try declaring the bump stocks to be machine guns, but Congress would have to change the definition of "machine gun" legislatively first.

If course, Obama showed that the government does NOT have to follow the Constitution any more.

mbogo
Last edited by mbogo on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

While I don't have any use for a Bump stock, I have less use for more regulation from Uncle Sam. I see the Congress waaayyy overreaching with legislation. It won't only be bump stocks, it will be nearly any modification. They will reinstate the Assault Weapon ban with even more onerous restrictions...maybe even 5 round mag limit along with the CA style button mag release, no collapsible stocks, etc. Registration of existing MSRs rather than an outright grandfathering is likely to be on the table as well.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

No thought on these one way or the other except I don't think the Govt has the right to regulate accessories. I don't intend to buy one, so I really don't have a dog in the hunt except looking at possibly more government overreach.

On a side note, Optic Planet has now discontinued selling ANY magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. Their release says it's because of local laws making it more difficult to conduct mail order sales and their decision just happens to closely coincide with the Florida shooting. Can we all call "BS" Thats interesting since all of the other online venders state on items regulated by state laws that the product can not be shipped to (insert state). Seems to me like a pretty simple fix for their IT guys.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

bearcatrp wrote:I have one. It’s on my 15-22. Still haven’t figured it out to work as advertised. Can get it to rapid fire a couple, then stop. I can rapid fire faster with my finger. Wasn’t worth the money I paid for it. But I can’t see them coming after just this when custom triggers can be adjusted to like 2 oz and a fast finger could rapid fire. Think the government will have to reclassify what a machine gun is in order to ban bump fire mechanisms!

I looked this up, ATF classification of a machine gun ....
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-g ... initions-0

Not sure how bump fire was cleared for sale after reading this.

"automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger"

Aka: Fully....Automatic, requiring no trigger reset, meaning holding down the trigger without letting off.

Or

Firing 2+ shots wo manual reloading [not possible with a standard semiauto AR-15 ] but might possibly would be applied to something (like a double barrel shothun with only one trigger that fires both barrels at the same time.) Not to be confused with a dbl barrel gun with 2 or more triggers that can be fired at the same time but you have to pull more than one trigger thus completely different.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i fired off the following letter to my reps this morning.

feel free to use freely, or modify to suit your personal tastes as needed

The tragedy in Florida last week saddens me to no end. 17 family's lives were destroyed by the actions of one misguided animal intent on inflicting harm on others. We may never know why, but hopefully justice will be served.

What saddens me even worse is the vitriol being spread nation wide about people who had nothing to do with this massacre. We've been bombarded nonstop with cries of our shared responsibility in this case. How evil firearms are. How we law abiding citizens who support the 2nd amendment are seemingly all mass murdering monsters who just dont know the depth of our own evil, yet.

Guns arent the problem. Our current Laws arent the problem. Our rights to own firearms isnt the problem. Firearm accessories arent the problem.

The problem is people who have no respect for the lives of others.

The problem is people who will use a tragedy like this to push a political agenda.

The problem is people in positions of responsibility who could have stopped this very tragedy failed to do so, even after several VERY specific warnings about this shooter.

So to solve these problems - we're told over and over that we need more laws, because we who already respect the current laws are the problem. Our rights are the problem. Our freedom is the problem.

The thing is - for someone who's already going to commit murder, even the murder of only a single person - that person isnt going to worry about what other laws they have to break to do that heinous act. They're already contemplating breaking one of the worst laws they can break - taking the life of another human. In the case of the recent events, It would have been just as easy for this shooter to take his car, wait until school was dismissed for the day, and run a bunch of people over in the parking lot or on the sidewalks. There's precedent - its been happening all over the world.

So further restricting peoples rights to specific types - or all types - of firearms isnt the answer. That will only affect those of us who already follow the laws. Restricting firearms accessories isnt the answer for the same reason.

There are around 300 million guns in private ownership in the US today. There are trillions of rounds of ammo in private ownership today to feed those 300 million firearms. There are thousands of firearms accessories and an untold variety of configurations they can be combined in. If any of these things were the REAL problem - we'd know it! It wouldnt just manifest itself in the occasional person who wants to murder someone (or multiple someones).

Unfortunately - laws cant dictate morality. They cant force 100% of people to be a functional normal part of society. If they could we wouldnt have ANY of the problems we have with society today as all of the most heinous acts we consider detrimental to society are already illegal under current law - Rape, Murder, Theft, Assault, Discrimination - just to name a few.

So please, as a law abiding gun owner i'm asking you to not support any changes that restrict our rights as a firearm owner because of this tragedy.

Dont make those of us who already obey the laws pay a penalty for the very small segment of society that refuse to.

As an active voter in your representative district, i consider gun rights a single issue stance. I will be following your actions in regard to this and it will STRONGLY weigh into my voting decisions in future elections.

Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter, i look forward to your response.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.