Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

45r
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Post by 45r »

My 9 inch BA barrel shoots the .200 fat nose cast without problem except on last round.
I'm going to try different lengths.
I was shooting them loaded to 2.175 yesterday.
I got some loaded to 2.210 to see how they do loaded longer 10 thou off the lands.
It shoots jacked supers accurately but still need more work on subs.
The last 3 shot group with the AC Mold 240-A bullets shot 1.5 inch at 100 yards using 10.5 grains N-120 so it might be getting there.
iflyskyhigh

Re: Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Post by iflyskyhigh »

45r wrote:My 9 inch BA barrel shoots the .200 fat nose cast without problem except on last round.
I'm going to try different lengths.
I was shooting them loaded to 2.175 yesterday.
I got some loaded to 2.210 to see how they do loaded longer 10 thou off the lands.
It shoots jacked supers accurately but still need more work on subs.
The last 3 shot group with the AC Mold 240-A bullets shot 1.5 inch at 100 yards using 10.5 grains N-120 so it might be getting there.

I found they fed better too when loaded long. Problem is the throat is shallow. If our barrels are anyting alike, they have to be into the lands at that length. I was surprised how short I had to make them to keep them just .020” off the lands.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

At 2.210 the round will drop out of my hanson barrel when clean.
On my fired performance barrel it sticks lightly.
I'm going to seat them down to 2.200.
At 2.220 they're jammed into the lands.
Maybe my mold drops bullets a little slimmer than the MBC 215's.
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

Try Sons Of Liberty Gun Works
https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... 3083520321

I have a few of their rifles and this exact barrel, no issues what so ever and every barrel is dimpled below the gas port before it leaves their shop. Or you can have them pin it. They guarantee everything they sell for life, so even if you screw it up in fifty years, they'll fix it or replace it for free.
The time calls for dark men to do dark things.
Do not be afraid to lead them to it.
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

45r wrote:At 2.210 the round will drop out of my hanson barrel when clean.
On my fired performance barrel it sticks lightly.
I'm going to seat them down to 2.200.
At 2.220 they're jammed into the lands.
Maybe my mold drops bullets a little slimmer than the MBC 215's.
I think I have the Performance barrel. It's the cheap one. I got a deal on it. I think it was just over $100. Crap, I can't remember what I bought. But their different barrels must be cut different. Thanks for the info.
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

A Boy Named Sue wrote:Try Sons Of Liberty Gun Works
https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... 3083520321

I have a few of their rifles and this exact barrel, no issues what so ever and every barrel is dimpled below the gas port before it leaves their shop. Or you can have them pin it. They guarantee everything they sell for life, so even if you screw it up in fifty years, they'll fix it or replace it for free.
I will look into that. Thank you.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Got mine running real well now with the wide nose bullets.
No jamming at all.
Changed buffer to H2 and used 8.6 grains N-110 seated to 2.180.
Was shooting 1 inch groups at 30 yards sitting on the ground leaning against a tree.
Didn't have time to set up at the 100 yard bench.
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

Okay. Been messing around for another week or so now, and I think I have some definitive findings.

The Missouri Bullet Company Bullets will not feed in this barrel no matter what. This is the 215gr OEM Blackout Bullet and the 245gr Blackout bullet.I have opened and polished the feed ramps to the point that I almost have a uni-ramp. Kidding but still. You get the point. What's happening is that the blunt nose of the bullet is making it up the feed ramp and hitting the opening of the barrel, and stopping. I have made both rounds as short as I possibly can.

Which brings me to the S & S Casting 195gr Blackout Bullet. I made the COAL of this bullet as short as it can possibly go. That combined with using A5H0 buffer I now have function wit the VLTOR A5 stock. Using A1680 getting about 1050 FPS. COAL is 1.955" Like I said, short.

I knew I was making progress when I got the 195 gr running with the Carbine lower. Then shortened the COAL, and changed the A5 buffer to H0 (started as H2, then tried H1) and bingo.

Still not happy that it took that much work. I'll using the Missouri Bullet Co bullets in my Wilson barreled AR. They feed fine in that.

Just ordered 500 of the Leatherhead 220gr round nose. Wish I would have started with those. I'm about 99.9% sure that those will work great since they are more traditional style pointed bullet.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how the Leatherheads work.

I'm still probably gonna change the barrel at some point and I'll probably go with the X-Caliber.
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

I take it back. Nothing works in this barrel with the A5 stock at least. Went out yesterday to dial in the "1050 FPS" load and had 3 malfunctions in 10 rounds with the S&S 195gr bullets.

Giving up on all three of these bullets for now and waiting for the Leatherheads to arrive.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Interesting.
You gave it a try and the wilson works.
Good idea to use the wide nose bullets in it.
Mine cycles well except on last round sometimes.
My favorite barrel is my seekins 10.5 inch.
It works real well and very accurate.
It's too bad the BA barrels don't come with the right barrel extention.
The accuracy isn't bad for the price.