Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

iflyskyhigh

Re: Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Post by iflyskyhigh »

smustian wrote:
iflyskyhigh wrote:
It’s not the edges but the angle of the feed ramps themselves. It’s just to sharp of an angle and the blunt nose of the bullet hits and just stops. I’ve decreased the angle, but am hesitant to take them down any more.

Not every manufacture makes their ramps exactly the same. Obviously. As I have one gun that feeds them just fine.
Have you tried shortening the COAL as dellet mentioned above?
Yep. Tried every COAL possible from as short as I could safely make them to just barely off the lands. I've been at this for months.
Last edited by iflyskyhigh on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iflyskyhigh

Re: Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Post by iflyskyhigh »

45r wrote:There is a U tube video that shows how to dremel 300blk feed ramps.
Mainly it's breaking the sharp edges by rubbing a .315 sanding drum up and down and across the high points of the ramps where the bullet digs into.
The angle of the feed ramps aren't changed.
It's widening them.
Wilson sells 7.62x40 barrels and they have wide ramps and the 300blk barrels are wider also.
When I had a jam the bolt was stuck hitting the middle of the case.
I think soft lead cast bullets dig into the sharp edges and the bolt rides over the back of the brass.
Google up feed ramps modifications and it will show what it looks like.
Watched the videos. Already modified the feed ramps several times. Doing just a little more each time. No help.

I would like to get the Wilson 300 blackout barrel, but it's 11.5" inches. By the time I add my can, it's too long. 7.5" is too short.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Look at the ramps Windham weaponry uses on their 7.62x39 uppers.
They will feed anything.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

In the early days of the cartridge what set AAC, Noveske and Wilson apart was attention to detail. Part of that was 30 caliber feed ramps. Just don't find that on budget barrels.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

Quality seems to be lacking sometimes.
My BA 9 inch performance barrel didn't even have a dimple for a gas block.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

dellet wrote:In the early days of the cartridge what set AAC, Noveske and Wilson apart was attention to detail. Part of that was 30 caliber feed ramps. Just don't find that on budget barrels.
Son of gun. I just checked my Noveske barrel - I hadn't realized that it has 30 caliber feed ramps.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

2manyToys wrote:
dellet wrote:In the early days of the cartridge what set AAC, Noveske and Wilson apart was attention to detail. Part of that was 30 caliber feed ramps. Just don't find that on budget barrels.
Son of gun. I just checked my Noveske barrel - I hadn't realized that it has 30 caliber feed ramps.
Did you have another to compare it to?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

Agreed. My Wilson barrel is top notch. Just wish they had the length I want.

To you knowledge are there any other manufactures that use 30 cal feed ramps on their 300 Blackout Barrels
Last edited by iflyskyhigh on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

45r wrote:Quality seems to be lacking sometimes.
My BA 9 inch performance barrel didn't even have a dimple for a gas block.
I don't think that's a quality issue. None of the BA barrels, as I understand it have dimples. But I knew that when I bought it.

I use the BRD Engineering dimple jig. Works like a charm. Just spend the money for a carbide drill bit if you barrel is coated. Trust me.

I actually find the barrel quality of the BA barrels to be pretty good. Not the best, but for the price, can't complain.
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

45r wrote:Look at the ramps Windham weaponry uses on their 7.62x39 uppers.
They will feed anything.
Will do. Thank you.