Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

iflyskyhigh

Re: Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Post by iflyskyhigh »

45r wrote:Interesting.
You gave it a try and the wilson works.
Good idea to use the wide nose bullets in it.
Mine cycles well except on last round sometimes.
My favorite barrel is my seekins 10.5 inch.
It works real well and very accurate.
It's too bad the BA barrels don't come with the right barrel extention.
The accuracy isn't bad for the price.
Agreed. The Wilson is an 18" barrel, and it's a carbine gas system, so it's not great for subsonic. I know, not ideal for 300 BO. No lectures please. It's great for hunting with supers though, and accurate as hell. The barrel is older, now all the Wilson barrels come with a pistol gas system no matter what the length. I'd buy another if they had the length I wanted.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ballistic Advantage Barrel and Heavy Lead Subs = No Go. Suggest Another Barrel Please.

Post by dellet »

iflyskyhigh wrote:
Agreed. The Wilson is an 18" barrel, and it's a carbine gas system, so it's not great for subsonic. I know, not ideal for 300 BO. No lectures please. It's great for hunting with supers though, and accurate as hell. The barrel is older, now all the Wilson barrels come with a pistol gas system no matter what the length. I'd buy another if they had the length I wanted.
No idea why you would think it’s not great for sub-Sonics, I shoot subs down to 150 grains in my 18” carbine gassed barrel. It’s much quieter than any pistol gassed barrel will ever be.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

dellet wrote:
iflyskyhigh wrote:
No idea why you would think it’s not great for sub-Sonics, I shoot subs down to 150 grains in my 18” carbine gassed barrel. It’s much quieter than any pistol gassed barrel will ever be.
I got the 195's to run in it subsonic with A1680, but I couldn't get the 215's or 245's to run with a subsonic load and get the bolt to lock back with either 4227 or 1680. I have a Magpul fixed rifle stock on there, maybe I'll try it will a carbine lower and carbine buffer.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

iflyskyhigh wrote:
dellet wrote:
iflyskyhigh wrote:
I got the 195's to run in it subsonic with A1680, but I couldn't get the 215's or 245's to run with a subsonic load and get the bolt to lock back with either 4227 or 1680. I have a Magpul fixed rifle stock on there, maybe I'll try it will a carbine lower and carbine buffer.

Carbine gas, carbine buffer. That’s how it’s designed to work.

If you want to use the rifle tube, you can get a spacer to allow a carbine buffer.

If you can get the 195’s working and not the 245’s you’ve got other problems.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
phils3
Silent Operator

Post by phils3 »

The Leatherheads 220's shoot great and cycle well (even BHO on last round) in my BA 11" modern profile barrel. 9.2 grains 300-MP and 8.4 Lil, Gun. It's my favorite barrel.
I do make my own brass w/ Hornady dies. Maybe check the diameter of your loaded rounds at the neck...
iflyskyhigh

Post by iflyskyhigh »

phils3 wrote:The Leatherheads 220's shoot great and cycle well (even BHO on last round) in my BA 11" modern profile barrel. 9.2 grains 300-MP and 8.4 Lil, Gun. It's my favorite barrel.
I do make my own brass w/ Hornady dies. Maybe check the diameter of your loaded rounds at the neck...
Thanks. My Leatherhead order got lost in USPS oblivion. Still waiting. It’s a barrel /bullet combination issue. The rounds work fine in my Wilson barrel. And I’ve measured everything a zillion times. I make my own brass as well. I only LC cases to avoid that problem. Some of the other NATO brass is too thick. Appreciate the input.
45r
Silent But Deadly

Post by 45r »

My 9 inch ba barrel feeds everything great now.
I went after the feed ramps even more than before.
Made sure they point towards the center of the chamber and a little wider.
It feeds the .200 wide nose bullets with no problems ever.
The guy on you tube was right.
The ramps point way too high and that's the problem.
It feeds even with a long 2.175 C.O.L.
I use 10.6 grains N-120 or 8.7 grains N-110 and getting 1 inch groups at 50 yards.
Kelveeno

Post by Kelveeno »

have a 9.5 BA barrel and I shot various brands of factory ammo without issue, like remington 220 in the white/green box. My handloads using 225 gr hornady bthp function flawlessly as well. I did have an issue early on where I would load a magpul gen 3 mag with 30 rounds and when I inserted the mag and charged the gun manually, it would not lock into battery. This only happened on the first round. I heard this was an issue with magpul gen 3s. recently I got the magpul 300 blk mags and tested at the range, they run fine.