AR pistol length question...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

FOB
Silent But Deadly

AR pistol length question...

Post by FOB »

I have a pistol lower/brace on the way and am planning on buying an upper assembly soon. It's intended for a home defense/camping/traveling gun, and just for fun. It will have a light mounted front/left, and probably a RDS.

Is 8.5" barrel length too crowded for my meathook and the light. Should I go 10.5"? Would prefer the 8.5 But it has to be practical.

300BLK by the way.

TIA
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: AR pistol length question...

Post by smustian »

Personal preference. I went 10.5" as my intent is to possibly hunt with it and I wanted the little extra velocity. I also want the extra length to be able to adjust my support hand instead of it being cramped.
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

That's my gut feeling too. Short/compact is the goal, but never having actually handled one it seems like 10.5 may be the way to go.

Thanks
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Get the 10.5. Always end up with other stuff on it once its built. I have a 10.5 inch barrel and ordered a sandman-s to keep the length down. As smus stated, a little extra velocity helps too.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

If you are running it without a can, the 10.5 will DEFINITELY feel nice and maneuverable. Admittedly, I am a big guy (6'5") but then ones shorter than that feel awkward to me personally.

ON a sort of related note, I have started running an Inforce on the top of my rail and really like the way it lights from low ready. I got in a pissing match with some Coyotes the other night and it really made 'looking around' the yard easy.
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

Thanks guys, thinking 10.5 now.

I like my Inforce too and will move it from the carbine to the pistol.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It will depend on what you put on the muzzle. I run carbine length handgaurds on 7” barrels. If they will be suppressed I run rifle length.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I would assume you are talking about a pistol AR and not just a pistol length gas system. If it is to be a SBR with a stock, go with an 8" barrel with adjustable stock if overall length is questionable.

To me the reason for putting up an extra $200.00 in stamps for a short barrel rifle is to have a short barrel. If it is to be a pistol AR, go with 10".
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

your states peticular laws on what constitutes a pistol may well also come into play.

at least here in michigan, we have a 26" rule - if you want an ar pistol and have the ability to carry it under the CPL rules here, you have to stay below 26" oal.

with the typical extension tubes used for the braces, that means 9" is about as short as you can go, and still have the hope for *ANY* kind of muzzle device - and then you still have to be cautious on that too.

with a normal pistol receiver extension (one not designed for use with a brace) a 9" barrel with a basic flash hider comes in at just under 25"

i dont know if anything like this applies to you or not, but its something to consider if you havent already.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
batman4706
Silent But Deadly

Post by batman4706 »

I've had everything from 7.5 to 10.5 and I find the 10.5 to be the most pleasant to shoot.