polishing a mil-spec AR trigger ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DutchV
Silent But Deadly

polishing a mil-spec AR trigger ?

Post by DutchV »

I've had stock AR triggers that were tolerable, and others that were awful. And while I haven't tried every maker, it seems random whether you'll get a good one or not.

Does anyone know of a reliable guide to polishing an AR trigger? For general use, not competition, so safety first, of course. Super light is not the goal; just smoother and perhaps a bit lighter. I'm interested in trying it myself before I buy aftermarket triggers. What sort of improvement can a guy reasonably expect to achieve?

And while we're at it, I've read that it's possible to polish through the surface hardening on the engagement surfaces. This sounds like it'd end poorly. Is this a valid concern? Or is it just another of those endless gunshop rumors?

Thanks, Dutch
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: polishing a mil-spec AR trigger ?

Post by Boolit_Head »

Actually you can get pretty good results with a mil spec trigger. I very lightly stone them with a white stone just to remove any burrs and smooth any finish that is on there.. No more than three or 4 passes on the engagement surface. If you see any real change in the surface you probably went to far. Then I use a JP lightened trigger springs and a trigger adjuster screw that replaces the grip screw. You can get some surprisingly good results.

But yes the hardening is very thin so any major polishing can cause issues. I have a couple that are very close to my CMC trigger.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Boolit_Head wrote:Actually you can get pretty good results with a mil spec trigger. I very lightly stone them with a white stone just to remove any burrs and smooth any finish that is on there.. No more than three or 4 passes on the engagement surface. If you see any real change in the surface you probably went to far. Then I use a JP lightened trigger springs and a trigger adjuster screw that replaces the grip screw. You can get some surprisingly good results.

But yes the hardening is very thin so any major polishing can cause issues. I have a couple that are very close to my CMC trigger.
Sounds like a plan. After you finish polishing and find out they still are pieces of s**t, make yourself happy and get an ALG ACT trigger and some JP yellow springs, You will have a nice, crisp 4 1/2 lb trigger for less than $100.
Jethro99
Silent Operator

Post by Jethro99 »

Google "15 minute trigger job"
I do it to all of mine. lighter pull and smooths them out. Takes the 8 lb pull down to 3.5-5 lb. will cost you nothing. If not what you want/like you can always buy something.
The crime is not shooting poorly, the crime is not learning to shoot better.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Jethro99 wrote:Google "15 minute trigger job"
I do it to all of mine. lighter pull and smooths them out. Takes the 8 lb pull down to 3.5-5 lb. will cost you nothing. If not what you want/like you can always buy something.
I've done this to several rifles and they're no giessle but the also cost nothing
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Walkers Bay wrote:
Jethro99 wrote:Google "15 minute trigger job"
I've done this to several rifles and they're no giessle but the also cost nothing
It can be done but too many people do not know when to quit or screw up geometries resulting in a trigger that will fail or start chain firing. Either result is not good.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I do it to all mine. 1000 - 1500 grit paper works good. Plus one on the trigger adjustment screw. Dolomite hooked me with this idea and it really works well with a few simple tools.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I always started with 400 grit to get any really rough spots smoothed off, then moved up to 800 grit for polish.

I've made some so smooth you could see your reflection in them.

I always laid the sandpaper upside down on a hard surface and rubbed the part back and forth over the sandpaper, rather than rubbing the sandpaper over the part. This preserves the factory edges and angles. If you aren't a total screwup and you do it correctly.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Jethro99
Silent Operator

Post by Jethro99 »

I also run a small set screw up the grip screw hole to take out all the creep . You need to tap some receivers, they don't have threads all the way up. and then use a shorter grip screw so it doesn't bottom out on the small set screw. Set the safety, turn in set screw with a little loc-tight, till it contacts the trigger with the safety, replace grip screw and enjoy a much better trigger for the cost of a few screws.
The crime is not shooting poorly, the crime is not learning to shoot better.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I do all mine too. I also highly recommend the JP springs.

Dremil tools USED CAREFULLY can do wonders with a lil Flitz too!

I have a SCR rifle, its allot of AR DNA but not in the trigger parts at least not enough to drop in a good AR trigger. So making the best of whats there is whats called for. like gunsmiths of old. Improving a guns trigger is becoming a lost art.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS