What is the best clamp on gas block

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

What is the best clamp on gas block

Post by Bgd »

I just ordered an 18 inch barrel with 1/10 twist carbine length gass port. What is your favorite clamp on gas block? I will be using a bravo company hand guard.
NRA life member.
xdmalder
Senior Silent Operator

Re: What is the best clamp on gas block

Post by xdmalder »

Adjustable or fixed gas block?
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

I have never had an adjustable gas block so I am not sure if I want one. I am mainly looking for dependable. Does an adjustable gas block need any special maintenance? The concept of an adjustable gas block is interesting.
Last edited by Bgd on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA life member.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I have gotten to really prefer the tapered pins of the colt style.. I simply cut and grind down a front site to become a lo pro... that way you can keep the durability of those pins.

I have seen more than a few set screw jobbers come loose at in opportune times...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +gas+block.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

cwlongshot wrote:I have gotten to really prefer the tapered pins of the colt style.. I simply cut and grind down a front site to become a lo pro... that way you can keep the durability of those pins.

I have seen more than a few set screw jobbers come loose at in opportune times...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +gas+block.

CW
That is a good idea but I don't feel confident about drilling the barrel for the pin.
NRA life member.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

Will your gas block be covered by the handguard or will it be exposed?
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

Nic56 wrote:Will your gas block be covered by the handguard or will it be exposed?
It will be covered by a bravo company handguard.
NRA life member.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

Bgd wrote:It will be covered by a bravo company handguard.
OK, I thought it probably would be. In that case, a set screw gas block will serve you just as well. I don't profess to be an expert, but I used to believe set screw gas blocks would not be secure on a barrel. After having to remove two or three from barrels with relatively low round counts, I realize just how fused with the barrel they become. They are not fun to remove after a little carbon and crud build up between the block and barrel. Also, clamp-on blocks tend to run bigger, and I found they often would not fit under a low profile rail. I don't want to sound like I am telling you what to do, but just wanted to share my experience. If the gas block is under the rail, it has virtually no chance of being affected by anything anyway.

For a basic set screw gas block, I really like the Midwest Industries low profile gas block. It has three set screws instead of two and it is very low profile.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Lo ... pg.750.htm

Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

Nic56 wrote:
Bgd wrote:It will be covered by a bravo company handguard.
OK, I thought it probably would be. In that case, a set screw gas block will serve you just as well. I don't profess to be an expert, but I used to believe set screw gas blocks would not be secure on a barrel. After having to remove two or three from barrels with relatively low round counts, I realize just how fused with the barrel they become. They are not fun to remove after a little carbon and crud build up between the block and barrel. Also, clamp-on blocks tend to run bigger, and I found they often would not fit under a low profile rail. I don't want to sound like I am telling you what to do, but just wanted to share my experience. If the gas block is under the rail, it has virtually no chance of being affected by anything anyway.

For a basic set screw gas block, I really like the Midwest Industries low profile gas block. It has three set screws instead of two and it is very low profile.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Lo ... pg.750.htm

That looks interesting. Is it longer than an inch? The barrel I ordered is lightweight and gas blocks longer than an inch won't fit.

Thanks!!
NRA life member.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

Bgd wrote:That looks interesting. Is it longer than an inch? The barrel I ordered is lightweight and gas blocks longer than an inch won't fit.
Thanks!!
Yes, it is longer than an inch, so it won't be suitable to your barrel. But, don't be afraid of a set screw gas block, especially if it is under the rail. As I said, after a few rounds, it will be on there tight.

As mentioned above, an adjustable gas block can be handy. I have some on uppers. You can really tune the gas for a better felt recoil. They are very handy for turning the gas down when using a suppressor. However, adjustable gas blocks are something extra you have to worry about. The set screws can be hard to turn once carbon gunks them up if you don't loosen/tighten them occasionally. On a no-nonsense gun, especially something you might use in defense, I would not have one on my rifle. Just my 2 cents worth.