What is the best clamp on gas block

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: What is the best clamp on gas block

Post by L1A1Rocker »

This is what I prefer (the clamp on version):

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ga ... co.%2c+inc.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

Bgd wrote:I just ordered an 18 inch barrel with 1/10 twist carbine length gass port. What is your favorite clamp on gas block? I will be using a bravo company hand guard.

...I would recommend you check this page out ----> http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?rout ... y&path=131

....The SLR AGB's are extremely reliable and highly adjustable. Once adjusted (tuned) to your particular firearm and load, there is no need to readjust unless you change ammo, add or remove a suppressor, etc. If you desire, it is extremely "user friendly" for DETAILED maintenance, but isn't needed in my experience with their AGB's, which I have been using them since 2013 on multiple caliber builds.

...the link above also contains the schematics detailing the dimensions of their products so you can determine fitting with whatever handguard product you choose.

...I've used both clamp and set-screw types without issue. If you decide to go with a set screw model and the barrel you purchased isn't dimpled already, then it eases which model of set screw AGB you choose, the 0.400" or 0.450" spaced set screws.

...just a little info, the gas port size on the SLR AGB's are typically larger than the gas port in the barrel so if you have misaligned your gas block a little, it won't be adversely affected.
RWA007
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RWA007 »

I recently installed my first AGB on one of my 300blk rifles. As with everything that I purchase, the research on this dumb little part was literally weeks. Here are a few points that I thought I needed to be concerned about (this is related to an ADJUSTABLE gas block, but a non adjustable will have many of the same points to ponder).
(Not in any particular order...)

1. Clamp on or setscrew or pinned?
2. Price
3. Can it be FULLY closed or only PARTIALLY closed?
4. Handguard compatibility...will it fit underneath the current handguard?
5. Ease of adjustment...I don't want to have to take the handguard off to adjust.
6. Dependability and durability. I don't want to have to replace or fix it ever.

For ME, the rifle that I was installing this on is a factory Ambush (Daniel Defense) 300blk carbine. It cycled perfectly supers, subs, suppressed and unsuppressed so I was not trying to solve any particular cycling issues...the reason I wanted it is because even suppressed and subsonic, when I shoot it, that action noise right next to my ear is STILL over 100db loud and is enough to make my ears ring. Even UNLOADED when I cycle it and let the bolt return home with the rifle shouldered it is uncomfortably loud for me. Yes, I already have a lot of hearing damage, including Hyperacusis (extra sensitive to noises like that) and I am a regular wearer of hearing aids. Even though I do have a Bolt Gun (RARR) which is awesome to shoot subsonic suppressed...I wanted to be able to shoot that AR in silence also. So I wanted the ability to make it a SINGLE SHOT by closing the gas port completely. It is a little inconvenient to have to charge each round manually, but the quietness makes up for the inconvenience! So I needed an AGB that would CLOSE completely. Some don't. Then I started looking at Clamp on, set screw or pinned. My factory setup was pinned. I was not interested in drilling the gas block to match so my choices were clamp on or set screw. Come to find out, there are a lot of opinions about this topic out there on the internet. Basically, the consensus, the way I understood it, is that SETSCREW gas blocks can put uneven pressure on the barrel. Even PINNED gas blocks can do this. Seems as though the CLAMP ON gas blocks are the way to go to avoid any (imagined or un-imagined) uneven pressure issues on the barrel in that spot. Then, was price. It had to be under $100. That was just a personal goal. I've spent outrageous money on other un-necessary items before and I've always been very happy with them...and I've cheaped out sometimes (within reason) and been just as happy (again, MOST of the time). I decided that $100 was a reasonable goal, and that I would NOT pay less much less than that either. This way I figured I'd get at least a good functional Toyota, but not quite a Lexus, but it wouldn't be a Pacer. (no offense to anyone who still owns an AMC Pacer...) Will it clear my hand guard?...my rifle has the DD Modular Float rail. It's fairly slim and not a whole lot of room in there. I found the specs, did some measuring and it looked like it would fit. Finally, adjustment. The one I picked adjusts from the FRONT with a ball driver (yes, I have to have that tool with me if I want to adjust it) but is quick and easy and simple. I can adjust it hot or cold and it takes about 10 seconds.

After evaluating all that criteria...I settled on the Odin Works Adjustable Clamp On gas block. I do not know how any of the other gas blocks work or how nice or not nice they are. I will say that I am 100% satisfied with the operation and function of this gas block and if I were to do this to any of my other rifles (probably will) I will buy the same one. I do not work for them, nor do I get any kickbacks, etc. but it's a solid piece and works great. I think the ONLY downside to this gasblock is that it DOES require that little ball driver tool to make the adjustment. If I forget it...I'm shooting it in whatever mode it was left in, which for me is either full OPEN or fully CLOSED. I like the positive "clicks" that you can feel (some people can hear) when adjusting it. You can tune it for a given round (say...5 clicks open for brand X, etc.) and it's easy to always return to that exact adjustment. All the way closed is closed, and 10 clicks seems to be all the way open.

Hope this helps!
Sorry for the length... :)

Randy
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

Thanks for the advise I appreciate being able to learn from your experience. My barrel will be done in about 11 weeks so I have 11 weeks to decide. I am thinking clamp on is the way to go for this build. I have used the set screw type and am not real impressed, but I have no personal experience with the clamp on. I may take the plunge with an adjustable and see how I like it.
NRA life member.
xdmalder
Senior Silent Operator

Post by xdmalder »

If you are going to look at adjustable also look at Superlative Arms gas blocks. I'm impressed so far
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

I, too, have had good experience with the SLR clamp on AGB. Easy to adjust from the front, very positive clicks and well made. You do have to oil the adjuster threads every so often, and running the adjuster all the way in and back out periodically will ensure that it remains adjustable.
Last edited by 2manyToys on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

I ordered the SLR adjustable clamp on gas block. My barrel probably won't be here until the end of July so I will have to suffer and just look at it until then. This is my first adjustable gas block can't wait to try it. Thanks for all the valuable input!!!
NRA life member.
cdakers
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdakers »

While perusing the Odin Works AGB I found this statement - "Not for use with pistol length gas systems and high pressure rounds."

I really like the way the Odin Works block works, but I'm assuming the statement above rules out use on 300Blk for the majority of us that are using pistol length gas. Has anyone disregarded this guidance and used it on pistol gas anyway? If so, has it had any issues?
Roverhound
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Roverhound »

cdakers wrote:While perusing the Odin Works AGB I found this statement - "Not for use with pistol length gas systems and high pressure rounds."

I really like the way the Odin Works block works, but I'm assuming the statement above rules out use on 300Blk for the majority of us that are using pistol length gas. Has anyone disregarded this guidance and used it on pistol gas anyway? If so, has it had any issues?
I'm running one on my 9.5" pistol and no problems from it so far. When I bought mine I didn't see any restrictions on gas length. Wonder if this is something new that they just came up with?
One thing I liked about the Odin works is that it has parts are available for it.
I guess if I do have problems with it in the future, I'll put it on another build and get another Black Rain Ordinance like I have on my 16" pistol length 300.
Last edited by Roverhound on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

SLR is expensive garbage.

I bought a "tool less" model for a 308. The "tool less" part broke off after approx 10 rds. Response from SLR was "too bad, we don't have any more of those"

I put the allen wrench adjust insert in, but the adjuster frose up after about a month and no longer works. I've got $20 adjustable gas blocks from china that work better.