Help needed building my 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

mauidiver

Help needed building my 300 blackout

Post by mauidiver »

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to the Ar world and read tons and tons of your posts. It comes down to this, can you help list your top pics for a build? I just can't make up my mind and want this to be a great rifle.

Howdy sausage king!! Haha! Anyhow I've read tons of your replies about building AR's which I'm just now itching and learning all I can as I have Zero knowledge of these rifles. I just sold my fathers Steyr Mannlicher 270 last week with his blessings as it was a LH rifle which I'm not. He gave it to me when I first moved to Austin (Cedar Park) from Maui Hawaii about 7 years ago. Had a great offer to get on my first lease from a TBH'r I hooked up with.

Anyhow, I work at Williamson County Juvenile Detention Center in Georgetown and have talked with a couple veterans at the facility and narrowed it down to what's I'm looking for.

I have $1800 dollars from the sale of my dad's rifle and need to spend every dollar on something I would never be able to afford otherwise.

I'm wanting a 300 blackout with a 16" barrel for now which will be suppressed when all the paperwork goes through. I'm going to buy one on layaway which they allow me to pay as I wait which rocks. So most of the money will go to the build. I'll either have my gunsmith AJ at blackjack do the build ($200) as I want to make sure it goes boom. If you had $1800 to spend
What parts would you get. Sorry for the long message but my dads in the operating room getting a stint put in his artery as I text. If you have any suggestions please help a brother out, I really want to have a special rifle from my dad basically. Thanks for your help

Colin
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help needed building my 300 blackout

Post by Boolit_Head »

First thing is save your 200 bucks and assemble it yourself. There are lots of videos and the tools you need cost maybe 50 bucks.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Since you mentioned suppressed, I'd go with the newer Mystic X. I just got an email from Liberty that said they are now approved for most everything from 300 Win Mag on down. I'd also go with the lightest in everything, weight wise. Regardless of the suppressor brand, make sure there is no aluminum in the can anywhere. I don't feel there is any need for a scope greater than 9X and if given a choice in keeping the weight down, go with a red dot. Most don't feel the 300 Black is suitable for ranges greater than 200 yards, with the ideal being 50-75 yards.

Sub-sonic, suppressed will put a smile on your face, especially with an adjustable gas block set so the bolt doesn't cycle.
mauidiver

Post by mauidiver »

I'll look into it. Thanks guys
springvalleyarms

Post by springvalleyarms »

This build won't fit the $1800 budget, but you don't have to do it all... a fun read though...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/ ... out-rifle/

You could substitute Aero Precision uppers and lowers plus a Ballistic Advantage barrel and shave hundreds off his example build with virtually no reduction in quality. Perhaps an Odin Works adjustable gas block. I am personally a fan of the SilencerCO Omega silencer.

I really want to give the BCG and trigger Nick mentions in the article a try.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Buy a high quality complete upper and build a lower with a good trigger. Wa la 1800 and it's guaranteed to run. 200 to build a ar is crazy. My guy charges me 30 bucks and it's done while I'm eating lunch. They always end up costing just as much as it would to just call up Wilson combat and have the upper shipped to my door.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Guest762 wrote:Buy a high quality complete upper and build a lower with a good trigger. Wa la 1800 and it's guaranteed to run. 200 to build a ar is crazy. My guy charges me 30 bucks and it's done while I'm eating lunch. They always end up costing just as much as it would to just call up Wilson combat and have the upper shipped to my door.
Barrel and trigger are key. The rest is just fluff for bragging rights.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

smustian wrote:
Guest762 wrote:Buy a high quality complete upper and build a lower with a good trigger. Wa la 1800 and it's guaranteed to run. 200 to build a ar is crazy. My guy charges me 30 bucks and it's done while I'm eating lunch. They always end up costing just as much as it would to just call up Wilson combat and have the upper shipped to my door.
Agree
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

smustian wrote:
Better save a few bucks for a optic. And a good light is always nice if you want to shoot after dark.
GSO
Silent But Deadly

Post by GSO »

smustian wrote:
Spot on! These two are the ones that determine quality and price of a build. The BCG and handguard/rail can also significantly increase price, but not really the quality in my opinion. BCG is only relevant if you want to go adjustable (Gemtech or Bootleg, for example) for use with supressors. A free-float rail is preferred by many and can cost significant money, but enables great flexibility with mounting slings, lights, lasers, and other accessories. These are particularly important for hunting, especially hog hunting at night.

FYI, I'm up the road an hour or so just north of Temple if you wanted to drop by some time and check out some options.
I don't collect firearms; they just accumulate...

"Be Prepared" - My motto from an early age.

Greg