Quit compromising, raise your standards and have realistic expectations for 300BLK in 2017

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Quit compromising, raise your standards and have realistic expectations for 300BLK in 2017

Post by dellet »

300 AAC Blackout, turns 5 next month. SAAMI approval was official January of 2011.

Since that time, it seems that the cartridge has brought almost nothing but controversy, disgust, misinformation, outright lies. Some was out of ignorance, some purposeful. Thankfully, a within a small circle of acceptance, admiration and truth has managed to hang on and present the cartridge for what it is.

The two most asked questions on the forum are basically "what can I expect from the cartridge" and "why do my case mouths dent". It seems like both are generally answered with accuracy and patience.

As the thread title suggests I have a challenge (ok four) to people who appreciate the cartridge.

Quit compromising on components.

Raise your standards of acceptable performance.

Have realistic expectations.

All three of these things will lead to the fourth, i'll get to that one later.

Quit compromising on components.

On your rifle and optics maybe, ammo and reloading supplies for certain.

The cartridge could not have hit the streets at a worse time. Less than a year after SAAMI approval, the worst buy/supply event in firearms history unfolded. We are actually just now starting to see reloading components readily available again. What that caused was both good and bad. A lot of people did a lot of experimenting with many powder/bullet combinations that might not have ever been tried. Many of those results were mediocre and the reputation and ability of the cartridge suffered.

We now have probably no less than 25 bullets designed specifically for the cartridge, both sub and super. This week the first powder designed for the cartridge hit the streets. There is no longer a reason to cobble something together and hope it works.

I will stop short of saying that all $100 barrels suck, but when you look at the parts lists posted by people having problems, quite often the only thought that went into it was, which part is the cheapest. Good barrels, triggers and optics shrink group sizes on a regular basis.

You get out what you put in.

Minute of pie plate with a bullet that might work when it gets there, seems to be the accepted standard for the cartridge. That's BS. This summer we had folks shooting sub MOA at 200 yards subsonic. Those same guys can probably take the cartridge to 500 shooting supers with the same results. None of the components used were all that special. The difference was, they put the time in to tune their loads and their shooting technique. Mostly they did not listen too the internet BS and just went and did it.

Some of the best brass and bullets available to the top shooters in all categories are available for us to use in our ammo. You want mil spec results, use mil spec components (both rifle and ammo), you want match quality results, use match quality components and assembly techniques.

Have realistic expectations.

That's really the sum of the first two ideas. If you assemble your rifle out of the absolutely cheapest components you can find(that's a lot different than finding the best components, as cheap as you can find) and run ammo that is made from range pick up, mixed headstamp, converted brass and military pulled bullets, don't blame the cartridge or the platform for your results.

Too many people spend a little extra to get mid level components, and have MOA +/- .25 results, to not think that price and careful selection don't have something to do with final results.

I'll take a small drift here into the different expectations of hunting, self defense and target shooting.

There enough bullets out there now that you do not need to "make do" in your bullet choice. Barnes Hornady and Winchester and others have all come out with cartridges specifically loaded hunting ammo. Smaller specialized companies are making self defense ammo and some of that is also suitable for hunting. Lehiegh defense is best known, but Maker, DRT, Gorilla, HSM and probably a dozen others are making quality hunting and self defense ammo and or components.

The best target ammo will always be hand made. Surprisingly Remington UMC 120's have been very accurate for many shooters at an affordable price point. It always seems to out shoot the 150 grain FMJ offerings. Maybe the Barnes 300 Blackout specific bullet has something to do with that.

Bottom line, you now have the ability to select and choose your grade and design of ammo or components, just like you would for any other mainstream cartridge, why compromise?

Here's the fourth challenge.

Spread the word.

A lot of folks here are the go to guys on other forums about the cartridge. There is a ton of bad information out there. It's just plain stupid the number of people who come here, because they heard some place, some thing, that was complete and utter BS. I think for the most part people here don't sugar coat the opinion of the cartridge and are generally able to back up what they say they can do.

It's already been proven that manufacturers, small and large pay attention to the forums. The smaller ones are more likely to see a need and meet it.

With the changing of the White house, the panic buying is over for a while. To keep selling, new products not the same old crap, will be what sells. If we are vocal enough about what we want, create the demand. Smart manufacturers will see the available profits.

In a nutshell my hope for 2017 is that we as a group will;

Quit compromising.
Use, ask for, and support products and companies building cartridge specific components.

If Minute of Pie Plate is good enough for you, narrow that down to Minute of Saucer. If Military pulls is your idea of a good bullet, spend a little extra from time to time and buy some new ones, maybe even a quality bullet as a blem.

Keep your expectations realistic.

If all you want/expect is a plinker and you spend the time and money accordingly, don't bitch when you can't hit the target, or your game runs away after being shot. If the bullets a proven performer and you can't get it to group less that 3" at 50 yards, don't blame the bullet.

Another slight drift here.

I think I have read here this year about more lost animal and long tracks than ever before. Generally by people using proven components. Sorry, but my opinion is operator error until proven otherwise. Too many people have not learned to hunt. They have learned to shoot, pull the trigger, and the rest is up to the bullet.

Sadly, the expectations of the cartridge are too high. You can't shoot a deer in the hoof or the ass and expect the heart and lungs to turn to jello. You have know where the vitals are and how to place the bullet there.

The folks that post here of hunting success in the past have been, in many ways a cut above average. They know the cartridge, they know their rifle and they know their game. This is why their success has been so easily obtained. I think people see that success and think "hey those guys on the Blackout forum are killing things easily, I bet I can too". In the past, there were more hunters than animal shooters using the cartridge. I think we are now seeing more animal shooters giving it a try.

I think the people on this forum are a huge reason for the success of the cartridge. That also hands us the responsibility of protecting the reputation we have built. Questionable hunting practices and a lot of wounded or lost game is the quickest way of losing support for the cartridge.

Don't be shy about sharing your success, don't be afraid to call out a questionable load or shot. We've debated a lot of bullets and powders over the years and opinions have changed because people have been able to back up their claims. Keep it honest and don't be afraid to change your mind.

I look forward to the 2017 SHOT show and all the new cartridge specific things to be released next year.

The point of the long post, if you have made it this far, is that being known as someone hunts/shoots a 300 Blackout, should be more of a badge of honor than shame. The presentation of that image will be determined by us.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quit compromising, raise your standards and have realistic expectations for 300BLK in 2017

Post by rebel »

Amen.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quit compromising, raise your standards and have realistic expectations for 300BLK in 2017

Post by Jim Timber »

Gotta agree with you Todd. The cheapest parts are going to kill the gun before the skill of the shooter makes it laughable.

I'm not sure I agree with your insistence upon 125gr instead of 150gr bullets, but there's truth in using the right pill for the job.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

last week. i bought a big baggie of ammo at a gun show for a hunting trip not sure what the bullet is the nose is painted black on some and some. primers are silver and the others gold,I beleiv in being prapared so I emptied a mag off hand at 25 it cycled good and hit a five gallon bucket several times ,well i just shot a huge buck at about 250 yards with it five times and the damn thing ran off ,I trailed it for 50 yards but didn't want to get my new boots muddy crossing the creek bed ,Im sick at loosing that big deer cant beleive I listend to you ppl here ,300 BlackOut sucks i don't care what you prissy snobs with your fancy reloders say,
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

bangbangping wrote:last week. i bought a big baggie of ammo at a gun show for a hunting trip not sure what the bullet is the nose is painted black on some and some. primers are silver and the others gold,I beleiv in being prapared so I emptied a mag off hand at 25 it cycled good and hit a five gallon bucket several times ,well i just shot a huge buck at about 250 yards with it five times and the damn thing ran off ,I trailed it for 50 yards but didn't want to get my new boots muddy crossing the creek bed ,Im sick at loosing that big deer cant beleive I listend to you ppl here ,300 BlackOut sucks i don't care what you prissy snobs with your fancy reloders say,
Lol, no really, I really am laughing out loud, my side hurts.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

bangbangping wrote:last week. i bought a big baggie of ammo at a gun show for a hunting trip not sure what the bullet is the nose is painted black on some and some. primers are silver and the others gold,I beleiv in being prapared so I emptied a mag off hand at 25 it cycled good and hit a five gallon bucket several times ,well i just shot a huge buck at about 250 yards with it five times and the damn thing ran off ,I trailed it for 50 yards but didn't want to get my new boots muddy crossing the creek bed ,Im sick at loosing that big deer cant beleive I listend to you ppl here ,300 BlackOut sucks i don't care what you prissy snobs with your fancy reloders say,
:lol: Sounds about right.

I laugh at the guys who poo poo it for 300yds+. Most of them can't see a deer that far out well enough to shoot it. It's not a Montana cartridge.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I think is saw your post on a TTAG blog a couple weeks ago, how's that new 82A1 working out for rabbits down there?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Jim Timber wrote:Gotta agree with you Todd. The cheapest parts are going to kill the gun before the skill of the shooter makes it laughable.

I'm not sure I agree with your insistence upon 125gr instead of 150gr bullets, but there's truth in using the right pill for the job.
Not sure where you got that idea but this thread might explain it
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=99882

I think I was just comparing the off the shelf performance of the 120 UMC vs all the offerings loaded with basically military FMJ bullets in cheap, new ammo.

If the truth were known my favorite bullet is the 150 Berger Flatbase. I have shot it in everything from a 1/5 to 1/10 twist and 7"-24" barrels, 1650-2250 MV. Bolt action, Handi rifle and a couple AR's and it's almost like you have to work to get it shooting anything less than MOA. Find your seated depth, stuff it full of 1680, Shooters World 300BLK or N120 over a magnum primer and pull the trigger. It's almost that easy.
(That should not be considered sound load development :shock: , please buy a book or two and actually read them before attempting :P)

A cartridge specific 150 hunting bullet that works down to even 1500 fps would be wonderful. The problem with all copper bullets that weight, is they get too long, it's like loading a 175 grain bullet and you lose powder capacity. A copper vs lead core bullet of the same dimensions will be about 80% of the weight.

Overall anything designed for the 300 Blackout could/should have a flatbase. Accuracy and BC below 300 yards will be equal to, if not better than a boat tail and you won't be losing much needed case capacity to a boat tail.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

Federal's hunting loads are also 150gr, but I don't think the boat tail vs flat base has anything to do with case capacity. Each bullet has to fill the same volume to make the same weight. The ogive shape/taper can change where that weight is up front to move the GC forward and require less length, but with all else being equal (same ogive and boat tail or flat base being the only deciding factor), there's no volume spared; only the location that volume is utilized.
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

:mrgreen: