Quit compromising, raise your standards and have realistic expectations for 300BLK in 2017

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

FOB
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quit compromising, raise your standards and have realistic expectations for 300BLK in 2017

Post by FOB »

All hail Rebel and Dellet. Seriously.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quit compromising, raise your standards and have realistic expectations for 300BLK in 2017

Post by smustian »

Totally agree with Dellet. Without testing and seeking sub moa accuracy you are doing yourself and the cartridge a disservice. My targets were taken after ladder testing and I was checking turret adjustments as only the 125 SST and 125 SMK printed in about the same place. They were also with the Nikon 2-7 BDC for 300 Blk and I HATE the circle reticle for target shooting. I get to sight in all over again when the weather warms in the spring since I moved the BDC to my 10.5 and put a new scope on the 18" (3-9 duplex reticle). Hopefully I can tighten things up a tad. Will get pictures then if I remember.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I've shot better and I've shot worse. Posted this target a few times but a good example of "doing the homework" like a lot of us do.
Target was 100 yards, flyer was cold bore, 6 shots. I've since tightened this load with a bit to the seating depth.
I am not tooting my or anyone else's horn here. Do the homework at the range and be honest about yourself and your abilities. There is no shame in saying "I can't do that yet" or "I've done that twice", do it 10 out of 10 and then go hunting, The meat tastes better if you spend a bit more time and money on it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

smustian wrote:Totally agree with Dellet. Without testing and seeking sub moa accuracy you are doing yourself and the cartridge a disservice. My targets were taken after ladder testing and I was checking turret adjustments as only the 125 SST and 125 SMK printed in about the same place. They were also with the Nikon 2-7 BDC for 300 Blk and I HATE the circle reticle for target shooting. I get to sight in all over again when the weather warms in the spring since I moved the BDC to my 10.5 and put a new scope on the 18" (3-9 duplex reticle). Hopefully I can tighten things up a tad. Will get pictures then if I remember.
I do 75-80% of my load development at 50 yards because its convenient, about 20 yards from the loading bench, and 25 from the refridgerator :lol:

If a group is 1/2"-3/4" outside/outside and the spreads are good, it's out to 200 yards with either variations of charge or depth.

My biggest problem is lack of detailed notes, so I repeat a lot of mistakes. :oops:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
widow

Post by widow »

Being that I'm new to the 300 I am thirsty for all and any into I can get. I always have strived for the best I can get with any rifle and load for it. I take shooting a animal very serious and will not use anything I do not have total confidence in. I am use to using weapons that may have limitations I hunt with a recurve bow for example not a compound or crossbow, also revolvers, lever actions and of course pump and bolt guns. If I am not sure I will test a bullet in my own ballistic test to see how it performs, mushrooms and penetrates. I will pass on shots if I have to to use my weapon of choice for me it is not just getting a kill it is how I get a kill that matters. So many people try to take the hunt out of hunting I say put back the hunt into hunting you will enjoy it much more and that is what I try to do. I am looking forward to all the loading, balistic testing and working with a cartridge that is more sensitive to one grain or one thousand of a inch. Rest assured I will ring all there is out of my rifle and us nothing but the best components to get the job done. So here is to putting the HUNT BACK INTO HUNTING! WIDOW
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Widow, I welcome the enthusiasm. In days of yore long past, folks here didn't have a damn clue. Then they started playing, and reloading and killing stuff. I got in on the tail end of those first guys (some which still post occasionally) and respect their work. I think we can and have carry it further as long as your mindset persists. All the projectiles that are discussed today were vetted out like 3 years ago for performance in wetpack, varmints or deer. This can be old news to some of us, so be patient with the old timers when we say " Great, yeah it does work". I don't mean to sound like an elitist, lust been there, done that - let's find something new and different.
That being said, carry on with your bad self 8)
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
az-jim

Post by az-jim »

widow wrote:Being that I'm new to the 300 I am thirsty for all and any into I can get. I always have strived for the best I can get with any rifle and load for it. I take shooting a animal very serious and will not use anything I do not have total confidence in. I am use to using weapons that may have limitations I hunt with a recurve bow for example not a compound or crossbow, also revolvers, lever actions and of course pump and bolt guns. If I am not sure I will test a bullet in my own ballistic test to see how it performs, mushrooms and penetrates. I will pass on shots if I have to to use my weapon of choice for me it is not just getting a kill it is how I get a kill that matters. So many people try to take the hunt out of hunting I say put back the hunt into hunting you will enjoy it much more and that is what I try to do. I am looking forward to all the loading, balistic testing and working with a cartridge that is more sensitive to one grain or one thousand of a inch. Rest assured I will ring all there is out of my rifle and us nothing but the best components to get the job done. So here is to putting the HUNT BACK INTO HUNTING! WIDOW
Good post!
I agree, hunting in large part has become about "I killed one", or the minute of pie plate hunters taking 6-700 yard shots with the logic that the bullet will go that far so they are good to go. No thought given to bullet speed or expansion at distance, but merely I got to pull the trigger.

Sorry, not to derail the intent of the OP, I can go for a while on that one :oops:
We need to stop asking "How stupid can you be?" Too many people see it as a challenge

NRA Life Member
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Dellet has hit on a point that new hand loaders should note, the 296/H110 sweet spot for 125's is indeed right around 18.6 gr. I also started at 18.3 and it proved to be just slightly more accurate at 100 yds. This and forums like it have daily requests for load data, often with less than realistic expectations. I spend my online time gathering up nuggets of info, seldom posting, but adding to my personal wealth of data and knowledge.

Like all the load work I do and have done for 40+ years, I try to use the best products and techniques available at the time. The 300 BLK is a great low recoil, platform versatile and accurate cartridge.

Pay attention to what the man said, wisdom has a price. Your cost for this education can be significantly less and in much less time. Many thanks to those here who have shared so much for so little. Enjoy :)

TR
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Nice writeup Dellet

Most of the shooting videos you see with the 300 blk are cringe worthy.
I just chalk it up the majority are content shooting dirt clods at 50yds....
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

az-jim wrote:
widow wrote:Being that I'm new to the 300 I am thirsty for all and any into I can get. I always have strived for the best I can get with any rifle and load for it. I take shooting a animal very serious and will not use anything I do not have total confidence in. I am use to using weapons that may have limitations I hunt with a recurve bow for example not a compound or crossbow, also revolvers, lever actions and of course pump and bolt guns. If I am not sure I will test a bullet in my own ballistic test to see how it performs, mushrooms and penetrates. I will pass on shots if I have to to use my weapon of choice for me it is not just getting a kill it is how I get a kill that matters. So many people try to take the hunt out of hunting I say put back the hunt into hunting you will enjoy it much more and that is what I try to do. I am looking forward to all the loading, balistic testing and working with a cartridge that is more sensitive to one grain or one thousand of a inch. Rest assured I will ring all there is out of my rifle and us nothing but the best components to get the job done. So here is to putting the HUNT BACK INTO HUNTING! WIDOW
Good post!
I agree, hunting in large part has become about "I killed one", or the minute of pie plate hunters taking 6-700 yard shots with the logic that the bullet will go that far so they are good to go. No thought given to bullet speed or expansion at distance, but merely I got to pull the trigger.

Sorry, not to derail the intent of the OP, I can go for a while on that one :oops:
No derail the whole point was to get folks thinking and sharing stuff that would hopefully get people to raise the level of skills.

I have a longer history of hunting with a bow than a rifle. I think I've shot a compound out of curiosity, but never hunted with one. It was a big step up in technology to start with a recurve. A long bow or stick bow was weapon of choice. That's where you learn the value of knowing your equipment and your game.

The group I ran with took a lot of pride in the length of the shot. It was opposite of rifle hunters. The bragging rights went to the shortest shot. I think a spot and stalk Canadian black bear still holds the record at 6 yards.

There's value in competition to a point. Every one improves.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.