Wilson Combat bad-mouthing the 300 Blk

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

The Collector

Re: Wilson Combat bad-mouthing the 300 Blk

Post by The Collector »

This is the first I am hearing about this 7.62x40...you know what. No. Just plain out No. I'm not even going to look into it. I don't want to hear about any more of these freaking AR-15 cartridges. It seems like everyday there is something else they are trying to shove down our throats. I plan to finish my AR in 300 BLK, Keep my 5.56, build one in .45 ACP, get a .458 SOCOM upper to build a gun around. That is as far as I am taking it. That said, As high end as Wilson may be, they've never put out anything that wow'd me. I despise their 1911s, and granted I haven't had the displeasure of trying their rifles, but I don't think I'd be impressed. I mean they are quality guns, and I just don't see a huge difference from Colt and Springfield 1911s. At least not to enough to justify the price difference. As for rifles I think I'd rather have a good S&W or Adam's Arms. They work very well and are quality firearms.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

Jim Timber wrote: Satern via Brownells instead. Plus, with Brownells lifetime returns I can always get a new bolt if I manage to break the lugs.

Barrel showed up today - looks pretty darn nice so far!
If the Satern powder funnels I have are any indication of their overall product, it should shoot lights out.

Everybody makes fun of my $15, caliber specific, powder funnels until they use them and then the light bulb goes on. "Holy hell these powder funnels are the shit" is what I usually hear and "where can I order them".
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

The Collector wrote:This is the first I am hearing about this 7.62x40...you know what. No. Just plain out No. I'm not even going to look into it. I don't want to hear about any more of these freaking AR-15 cartridges. It seems like everyday there is something else they are trying to shove down our throats. I plan to finish my AR in 300 BLK, Keep my 5.56, build one in .45 ACP, get a .458 SOCOM upper to build a gun around. That is as far as I am taking it. That said, As high end as Wilson may be, they've never put out anything that wow'd me. I despise their 1911s, and granted I haven't had the displeasure of trying their rifles, but I don't think I'd be impressed. I mean they are quality guns, and I just don't see a huge difference from Colt and Springfield 1911s. At least not to enough to justify the price difference. As for rifles I think I'd rather have a good S&W or Adam's Arms. They work very well and are quality firearms.

Yup, that's what we all say, no more ARs! But wait, what about a 9mm for cheap practice, or a 22LR is that ever becomes available again. Then there's the 6.5 Grendel and 7mm Valkyrie for long range playtime. AR57 is also pretty sweet, 50 rounds in that one! If you hunt deers, you'll probably need a 25-45 Sharps or maybe a 30 AR... Only one in 5.56 you say? You should probably get a couple more of those, they're giving them away it seems. You'll need at least one lightweight, one standard carbine, and maybe something with a longer heavy barrel for reaching out a little bit. Good luck. There are 7 of them in my safe right now. Don't forget about all the things you can do with the AR-10 platform as well...
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

wilson is a rip-off he is using reverse engineered dies for the 458 socom others as well . If it is not from tromix , s.b.r, rock river , or jd jones the chamber reamer is a knock off . So why would anybody expect any better of him when it comes to the 300 blackout . alexander arms tried to pull a fast one on my with a short chambered 50 beowulf but I called their bluff . I will not purchase any more of their products either . I know in these days and times people can make a simple minute change and call it something else but I still believe in a hand shake meaning something and a man only being as good as his word I find both gentlemen mentioned in my post as not being trustworthy of either.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

jwb47 wrote:wilson is a rip-off he is using reverse engineered dies for the 458 socom others as well . If it is not from tromix , s.b.r, rock river , or jd jones the chamber reamer is a knock off .
SBR has their barrels made by Satern, so Satern has the right specs in their reamers and was given the green light to market a barrel/bolt/brake package under the Brownells label (barrel is engraved Brownells on the bottom under the specs). Even the 458 experts are in agreement that it's legit to the original prints.

I agree about the copying being a problem in the gun biz - it's in all sporting goods for that matter. Seems like few people have the character to let another do their thing if it's making them any money. You can make a little and be left alone, but as soon as you start pulling serious coin the vultures swoop in to take a bite out of it.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

Jim Timber wrote:
jwb47 wrote:wilson is a rip-off he is using reverse engineered dies for the 458 socom others as well . If it is not from tromix , s.b.r, rock river , or jd jones the chamber reamer is a knock off .
SBR has their barrels made by Satern, so Satern has the right specs in their reamers and was given the green light to market a barrel/bolt/brake package under the Brownells label (barrel is engraved Brownells on the bottom under the specs). Even the 458 experts are in agreement that it's legit to the original prints.

I agree about the copying being a problem in the gun biz - it's in all sporting goods for that matter. Seems like few people have the character to let another do their thing if it's making them any money. You can make a little and be left alone, but as soon as you start pulling serious coin the vultures swoop in to take a bite out of it.

thanks for the info jim I have a sbr 18 inch 458 socom barrel for a savage small shank reciever I just have not got around to installing it . I had a donor rifle but made the mistake of shooting the rifle before changing the barrel so now I have 2 308 bolt guns :lol: and a barrel waiting for an action.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

I've thinned down the AR's because I had too many similar guns. Part of why the receiver set I used on the 458 sat in the safe so long was because I was completely uninspired to make another small platform gun. 300BLK does the job on deer short range, I now have .308 for longer range (I've had a CETME for 15 years, but stopped fielding it). I've got a Cooper M21 in .25-06 if I need to go further out yet. There's only so many things you can do without getting into goofy calibers. Then I saw the ft-lbs the 458 was producing, and the 10 round max load in a 30rd mag body didn't seem so silly. :lol: Who wouldn't want a 500gr hammer chucking machine for subs? I won't deny the appeal of the smaller AR15 platform over the AR10 for hunting. It's lighter too.

I have a feeling we're going to see something like the Hearing Protection Act passed in the next 3 years, so this is forward thinking on my part (personal collection wise), but there's also a demand for .45 caliber muzzle devices and that's the main reason I'm moving forward with it.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
The Collector

Post by The Collector »

DoubleJ wrote: Yup, that's what we all say, no more ARs! But wait, what about a 9mm for cheap practice, or a 22LR is that ever becomes available again. Then there's the 6.5 Grendel and 7mm Valkyrie for long range playtime. AR57 is also pretty sweet, 50 rounds in that one! If you hunt deers, you'll probably need a 25-45 Sharps or maybe a 30 AR... Only one in 5.56 you say? You should probably get a couple more of those, they're giving them away it seems. You'll need at least one lightweight, one standard carbine, and maybe something with a longer heavy barrel for reaching out a little bit. Good luck. There are 7 of them in my safe right now. Don't forget about all the things you can do with the AR-10 platform as well...
Well, I hate collapsible stocks, so there goes the standard carbine. I have considered getting a 5.56 Carbine upper to swap on and off my 5.56 lower when just chilling at the house, but that is not a whole new gun. With its main objective being making your AR legal to hunt, I personally feel that 25-45 sharps is stark raving useless when there are options like 300 BLK, 6.5 PCC, and 7mm Valk available with little change to rest of the gun. Its expensive and really gives you no real advantage to other cartridges that simply do the same thing. The only wildcat cartridge that really holds my attention, rather intentionally, is the 6.5 PCC. It makes the most sense to me, and we will see if it still holds my attention a few years from now. Really the only reason I want a carbine in .45 ACP is because I have a ton of .45 brass and bullets that I want to load up, but I have nothing to put it through and I really want to paint an AR white with black trim. So yeah, I could drop that project like a hot tater if I wanted. I am building a 300 blk gun to have a hunting legal AR and to teach myself how to work up a custom load. (I'm new to reloading). Also worth mentioning that I've been considering 300 BLK for about 4 years before I actually started building one. .458 SOCOM has my attention, and has had it for about 5 months. We'll see if I am still thinking about it by the end of Trump's first term, but I am having problems getting over the cost of reloading, much less factory ammo. 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39, and 5.45x39 all seem to have a ton of feeding issues and the need for more mags is a turn off. Plus I have both an AK and an SKS so I have no need for any other gun in these cartridges. I have very little interest in a .308 anything...I have a Garand and I'm convinced that M2 Ball is much better than any stinking .308. So yeah, I don't feel much love for that AR-10...if I were to get a .308 it would be an M1A. Now that is a gun worth salivating over. I'm not really an AR collector. I collect WWI and WWII firearms. As far as ARs go I like to build them and shoot them, not so much collect them though.

Oh yeah, as far as the lightweight thing, I'm putting my 300 BLK build to work for that concept.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

rjacobs wrote: Everybody makes fun of my $15, caliber specific, powder funnels until they use them and then the light bulb goes on. "Holy hell these powder funnels are the shit" is what I usually hear and "where can I order them".
I have a few of those; they are awesome!
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

jim please update when you get everything up and running . you know your now gonna have to buy lil-gun by the keg , right? I use it for 300 blackout , 458 socom , 50 beowulf , 44 mag , and 480 ruger .