So when will ammo prices come down!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Rio_Grande

So when will ammo prices come down!

Post by Rio_Grande »

With our recent political win, and me needing 500 or so rounds of 300blk wondering how long before prices on ammo soften up.
Learning the hard way,,,, every day...
jonny4523

Re: So when will ammo prices come down!

Post by jonny4523 »

Ammo has been abundant for the past year or so and prices have MAYBE dropped a few cents a round (basing this on 5.56 prices). I just looked up some 300BLK prices and it looks like its dropped about .05/rd within the last year. Personally, I don't see prices dropping much more. Even if Trump's win takes away some of the 'panic', I think our sport / community is growing rapidly and demand will continue to grow.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I'm hoping for more steel cased ammo to flood the market.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

As long as the price of copper, brass, lead and energy stay up then you will not see any drop in prices. I think the new norm has been reached.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alphawolf082 »

smustian wrote:As long as the price of copper, brass, lead and energy stay up then you will not see any drop in prices. I think the new norm has been reached.
This, so buy the hell out of everything now, it will only get more expensive in the future.
Rio_Grande

Post by Rio_Grande »

Copper and brass are down at the moment.. guess I will go ahead and buy some more. Went through 50 rounds today at the range. Only leaves about 50 on the shelf. Much different from my 5.56 where we count the cans...
Learning the hard way,,,, every day...
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

I don't think there will be too much of a change for a while. There's really no reason to now since we're all safe for the next four years (at least) but there are sales going on around a lot of places now, Veterans Day and Trump victory, that could be taken advantage of.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Rio_Grande wrote:Copper and brass are down at the moment.. guess I will go ahead and buy some more. Went through 50 rounds today at the range. Only leaves about 50 on the shelf. Much different from my 5.56 where we count the cans...
You can always get into reloading. It wont really save you much, especially in the beginning, BUT it will allow you to shoot when you want and basically how much you want within the reason of $$$ you have.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
Rio_Grande wrote:Copper and brass are down at the moment.. guess I will go ahead and buy some more. Went through 50 rounds today at the range. Only leaves about 50 on the shelf. Much different from my 5.56 where we count the cans...
You can always get into reloading. It wont really save you much, especially in the beginning, BUT it will allow you to shoot when you want and basically how much you want within the reason of $$$ you have.

you'll "pay" for your equipment over time, depending on how much you shoot, compared to the cost of factory loads. so basically as mentioned reloading wont save you a single penny.

what will end up happening (over time) is you will reload more - and therefore be able to shoot more - for the same $$ you would have invested in your ammo budget. This is especially true once you start recycling your brass and that no longer becomes a budget item into your reloading cost. Once you have your equipment, now instead of buying a couple boxes of ammo when you go to the store, you'll buy a brick (1000) primers. Or a pound of powder. Or a 100 pack of bullets (or two, depending on caliber and brand). And by doing it that way your cost per round "savings" pay for the ability to get ahead of your shooting habit a bit.

Generally speaking - for supersonic blackout anyway - a brick of primers & 10 boxes of bullets will need approx 3 lbs of powder for supers (or about 1.5 lbs for subs). For 223 the powder consumption will be closer to 4 lbs per 1k rounds. Roughly 6 lbs for 308. Pistol calibers are a lot more powder friendly, my 9mm, 40 and 38 special loads are all less than 1lb of powder per 1k rounds. and now you see the basis for spreading out your spending.

one of the best things i can tell you - if you're even remotely considering getting into reloading - save every piece of brass you can get your hands on starting right now. If you buy it (in the form of ammo) dont leave it on the ground. If you're at the range and someone else is leaving brass on the ground (or picking it up to move to the range brass bucket) ask them nicely if you can have it if you help clean up after them. Take it home, sort it by caliber and store it in zip lock bags. You'd be surprised how much of the stuff you can put into a $0.97 plastic shoebox from walmart :)

hth!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
riude

Post by riude »

Well, your prices are still ridiculous cheap, compared to europe :D.