Cases quit ejecting?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

338weatherby

Cases quit ejecting?

Post by 338weatherby »

I'm new to the forum and the 300blk. I built a 8.5" SBR using a Noveske barrel and gas block which came with the barrel. I am running a can and have had no issues after firing 200+ rounds of both supers and subs until today. Now it won't eject either and I mean not even close. The carrier isn't moving at all like it isn't getting any gas.
I cleaned it after it was getting dirty (not completely cycling) and now it's a single shot. I'm confused on how it ran great then totally quit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cases quit ejecting?

Post by TMD »

Gas block came loose or is leaking. That or the gas key on the bolt carrier came loose.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

TMD wrote:Gas block came loose or is leaking. That or the gas key on the bolt carrier came loose.
Has to be one of those. My bet would be the gas block got loose.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Also check to make sure the gas tube did not plug. It's not unheard of to have burr on the gas port that shaves the bullets.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

All of my Noveske barrels came pinned, if the OP's is pinned, it's less likely that came loose.
If the tail end of the bolt is loaded with jacket material, then there can be a burr issue in the bore.
Did it slow down over time, or did it suddenly stop?
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Carl from Sling Blade: "It ain't got no gas." :mrgreen:
Regardless of the cause (could be any of the ones mentioned above) it's a simple fix.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

Maybe so, it isn't the easiest of thing to troubleshoot some complaints without having parts in hand. What may be obvious to some, the same issue may be less obvious to others. Just depends though.
Chedr
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chedr »

If you can... using a rubber tube or something and see if you can blow air through the gas tube into he barrel. I've had a gas tube before with material (metal factory shaving) plugging it when it was new.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

OP stated that he had fired 200+ rounds with no problems. The problem just started with the last range trip. Something moved, broke or clogged up. As stated above you could try a rubber hose but if you are like me you will not have one to fit. In that case, separate your gun. Remove the BCG. Stuff a rag or paper towel into the chamber to seal it off. Blow down the muzzle and check for air coming out of the gas tube inside the upper. If no gas, remove your handguard and check for a loose gas block. If loose then adjust the gas block while blowing into the barrel until the max amount of air goes through. Tighten the screws and use loctite. If the gas block was tight and a good flow of air comes through then the problem is with the BCG. Check the gas key screws are tight and stake them if they were not before.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

This happened to me after using some Barnes factory loaded black tips. The ammo was too hot and blew a primer into the gas key plugging it up. I had to drill the primer out. Pull the carrier out an try blowing through it. Any restriction means it's clogged up.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.