FTF Before Firing

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

FTF Before Firing

Post by ProdigalSun »

I am having failure to feed and I haven't got to shoot it yet as a result.

I pull the charging handle, and the bolt will start to move the round forward, but instead of staying behind trhe case like it should, it tries to bypass the round, the round starts to move forward a half inch or so, and then just winds up stuck at a funny angle withe the BCG jammed into the side of the case, usually gouging it. Here are the parts.

BCM barrel, 9" fluted. BCM BCG. CMT upper. Standard spring, H2 buffer. raptor charging handle. Aero Precision pistol lower. Lancer 20rd mags.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: FTF Before Firing

Post by rjacobs »

what ammo are you running?

How far are you pulling the charging handle?

The front of the lugs on the bolt is what should be pushing the base of the case forward. If the carrier is what is pushing on the case, you have an issue with either operator error or something like your buffer or spring is to long and keeping you from pulling the charging handle all the way back.

I typically lock the carrier to the rear with the bolt release, insert a mag, slap the bolt release to send the bcg home. When you use the charging handle you can end up riding it and weird things happen when you try to slowly charge an AR15.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
Larry B
Silent But Deadly

Post by Larry B »

Is the point of the bullet up in the locking lug area of the barrel? What ammo? If handload what bullet and COL?
When the bolt goes to strip a ctg from the mag it should pop up and the bolt push it into the chamber. If the ctg comes up at too steep an angle the bullet tip will be in the barrel locking lugs and the bolt jammed into the side of the ctg.
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

First thing I would try is a different magazine.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

BCM reccomends H3 buffers with their Blackout barrels.

Pull the charging handle back all the way and let go. Tap the back of the mag against a table and then insert it into your rifle. Lancer mags are GtG
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Try it with one round.

If it works the problem is likely that your bullets are fat and they are loaded too long.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

I am using reloads. Cast, powder coated. OAL is 2.00" It is fom the Accurate Molds llc. . part # 31-215 E3. Comes out right at 220gr.

I pull the charging handle all the way back, locking the bolt, and I let the bolt release take care of sending it home. I do not ride the charging handle.
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
Roverhound
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Roverhound »

Are you crimping your cases? I found that if I don't have my die set exactly right that it will actually swell the shoulder on the case slightly causing it to not fit the chamber.
I've since found I don't really need a crimp so stopped doing it.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

By the looks of that flat tip I would begin to think that is your problem.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

those are some wierd looking rings around the neck of the brass, and your shoulder is hard to tell if its correct with the fuzzy pic.

i dont know if either of those issues is whats causing your problem - its unlikely - but stills ticks out as funny looking to me based on that pic.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.