Rough Chamber ?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

killerapplesauce

Rough Chamber ?

Post by killerapplesauce »

Purchased a Advanced Armament Corp. 16 inch 300aac blackout barrel a while back from brownels. I finally was able to take her out to the range this last weekend. I fired a few round and noticed the empty shell casings where real frosty. Is this normal seems to mean that the chamber is real rough?

emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Rough Chamber ?

Post by emmagee1917 »

That is real bad . I don't think I've ever seen one that bad , even used .
I would guess that the chamber missed the final post-reaming polish or was parkerized .
Other real experts should be along to give you better help .
Chris
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Looks like it's a treated barrel that was not cleaned well. Nitride is a salt bath and will leave behind almost a sandpaper finish. Clean it really well with a chamber brush as well as the rifling. That will probably take care of the scuffing.

The big worry is the mark at the base in the first photo.
Is that a cut line from dragging on the barrel extension? it looks like it is inline with the marks on the neck and that would make sense.

If that's the case it is probably just a sharp edge left from machining that will wear or you could polish it some to keep that from happening.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
killerapplesauce

Post by killerapplesauce »

Thanks guys for the responses. I'll give it a good clean tonight and see how that works out.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

killerapplesauce wrote:Thanks guys for the responses. I'll give it a good clean tonight and see how that works out.
you can chuck the chamber brush up in a hand drill if you want to speed the process up a bit, but it'll smoke the brush on you.

just a fair warning :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

You can also call brownells and report the problem to them before you do something to your barrel that will void the warranty. AAC will also honor its warranty and probably just exchange the barrel so you don't have to screw with it
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

While Brownells has the lifetime satisfaction warranty I don't believe the OP said that is where he got it. Using a brush in the chamber probably wont void any warranty otherwise no one could clean it. :)
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

if a brass chamber brush damages a melonite finished barrel.. there was something seriously wrong with that barrel to begin with...

there's virtually no way that a properly finished melonite barrel can be damaged by a brass brush due to the hardness of that melonite layer of the metal.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote:if a brass chamber brush damages a melonite finished barrel.. there was something seriously wrong with that barrel to begin with...

there's virtually no way that a properly finished melonite barrel can be damaged by a brass brush due to the hardness of that melonite layer of the metal.
If you think a brass brush can't hurt a melonited barrel, you haven't seen one where someone has put it on the end of a drill. :roll:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

well ya if you're determined enough you can damage pretty much damn near everything with just about anything else, hence the 'virtually no way' :roll:

but as long as you're reasonably cautious, is there really that much of a risk of damage?