Does Magpul BEV Block fit 300 BLK?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Does Magpul BEV Block fit 300 BLK?

Post by voip-1 »

Simple question but I can't seem to find an answer.

I'm in need of swapping some muzzle devices and tired of removing the hand guards on my short barrel uppers to clamp the barrel.

Does the BEV block work with 300BLK barreled uppers? Seems like it's probably 5.56 only since it grabs the barrel itself.

Thanks.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Does Magpul BEV Block fit 300 BLK?

Post by dellet »

Yes it will.

It will work on anything using a 223/5.56 bolt.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

It actually grabs the barrel extension by slipping into the locking lug cut-outs , so any caliber in which the size of those are standard , it will work on . The backside is a post with an o-ring that slips into a standard carrier with the bolt removed . So , again , any standard sized bolt carrier will fit over it .
Chris
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

Hopefully your barrel extension is installed properly. A few guys have found that out the hard way.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

dellet wrote:Yes it will.

It will work on anything using a 223/5.56 bolt.
It actually grabs the barrel extension by slipping into the locking lug cut-outs , so any caliber in which the size of those are standard , it will work on . The backside is a post with an o-ring that slips into a standard carrier with the bolt removed . So , again , any standard sized bolt carrier will fit over it .
Chris
Thanks to both of you for the answer!
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

DutchV wrote:Hopefully your barrel extension is installed properly. A few guys have found that out the hard way.
Do you mean muzzle device? Scratching my head a bit about barrel extension.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

voip-1 wrote:
DutchV wrote:Hopefully your barrel extension is installed properly. A few guys have found that out the hard way.
...what was meant is if the barrel extension the BEV fits into wasn't properly torqued AND the muzzle device was OVER torqued or secured with TOO MUCH thread locker adhesive, when trying to remove the muzzle device, the barrel extension unscrews from the barrel before the muzzle device breaks loose. The barrel extension is the part that fits into your receiver that has the "star pattern" that the bolt slides into and "locks" when a round is chambered.

If your current muzzle device uses a crush washer only, or it uses peel or similar shim type washers and no thread locker, you should have no problem.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

r.tenorio671 wrote:
voip-1 wrote:
...what was meant is if the barrel extension the BEV fits into wasn't properly torqued AND the muzzle device was OVER torqued or secured with TOO MUCH thread locker adhesive, when trying to remove the muzzle device, the barrel extension unscrews from the barrel before the muzzle device breaks loose. The barrel extension is the part that fits into your receiver that has the "star pattern" that the bolt slides into and "locks" when a round is chambered.

If your current muzzle device uses a crush washer only, or it uses peel or similar shim type washers and no thread locker, you should have no problem.
Thank you for the explanation, it makes sense.

They are all factory uppers so I guess it's a crap shoot on how well they were put together. They aren't junk though, three BCM uppers, and two DD uppers that I will be working on.

definitely clamping the barrel for a muzzle device is the fail safe way to proceed, but on my SBRs there isn't enough barrel to clamp so I have to remove the entire hand guard to do the swap which is a PITA. Was hoping the BEV block would speed the process up a bit.... and be a useful bit of gear for when I build my first complete upper in a few months.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

I do believe one of the victims of using a BEV block to remove their muzzle device had a BCM barrel... Do the job the correct way with a barrel clamp, I don't care what MAGPUL says it can be used for, Mr Murphy can and will show up to mess with your rifle but good! Don't take the chance!
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

Sorry if I wasn't clear before. There's been stories of guys unscrewing their barrel extensions using the Bev block or Reaction rod, even though extensions are supposed to be very tight. (150 ft-lbs or so).

I've had good luck with a set of nylon V-blocks and some leather strips for removing & installing muzzle devices.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.