Delayed... Why?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Delayed... Why?

Post by ProdigalSun »

I went to pick up the lower today, and got delayed. Why? I had a gun on me... And several more here at home. And the one I'm buying doesnt work! It's a lower! What do they think Im going to do with a lower, that requires a waiting period?
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Delayed... Why?

Post by smustian »

Did you put your SSN on the 4473? Many people do not and then there is some sketchy person somewhere in the USA that has the same name or similar and they get delayed. I have always put my SSN on the form and never been delayed even when others were. The Feds do not need your SSN to track you down if they want to so what is the big deal?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

did they tell you what caused the delay? was it the NICS check or what?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

What state are you in?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

NICS doesnt give a reason for delay.

I got delayed back in December. My FFL buddy said it was most likely due to high volume. If the system doesnt respond in like 60 seconds with a "proceed" or a "denial", it automatically gives you a delay. Mine cleared about 4 hours later and when I went back to pick it up the shop agreed with my buddies assessment.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ATF monitors a lot of different gun forums. They probably saw your other thread, just wait until they start on the paper work for your stamps.

That is if they get this cleared up before July 15th.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Are you a veteran? What always bothered me when I worked at the gun store was how many military veterans get delayed. It seemed like the vast majority of Iraq and Afghanistan vets get delayed.

So our country is happy to send them over there with all kinds of cool weapons, but then the gov't balks at letting them buy a gun here at home. Kinda sucks.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

Not a veteran.

Yes I did put my SSN on a 4473

They did not say why.

Michigan

If they monitor the gun forums, then they should know that I have every intention of doing this legally, and that I went through a headache trying to understand and follow the laws.

I had been delayed last time I bought a gun too, a double barrel 12 ga, for my daughjters 12th B day. Black, with a Bi-pod, red dot, and 18" barrel. She loves it. ETA. They approved this shotgun the same day.
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

ProdigalSun wrote:I went to pick up the lower today, and got delayed. Why? I had a gun on me... And several more here at home. And the one I'm buying doesnt work! It's a lower! What do they think Im going to do with a lower, that requires a waiting period?
Just because you carry a gun doesn't mean you can legally buy one and a lower is considered a firearm just like any other gun.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

rjacobs wrote:NICS doesnt give a reason for delay.

I got delayed back in December. My FFL buddy said it was most likely due to high volume. If the system doesnt respond in like 60 seconds with a "proceed" or a "denial", it automatically gives you a delay. Mine cleared about 4 hours later and when I went back to pick it up the shop agreed with my buddies assessment.
This - I've seen people delayed buying a long arm that had 5 pistol permits in possession. No rhyme or reason behind it. All I know is when I call in and they are busy, a delay is inevitable. What do they care ? 45 minutes of me on the phone with sucky music and the customer has to wait for their weapon.
One other thing, write your SSN on a notepad, not the form and get it back from the FFL. That way it's not stuffed in a pile for some employee to access.
Not a worry in my shop but if you get your stuff from Academy - :shock:
BlogSarge wrote:Are you a veteran? What always bothered me when I worked at the gun store was how many military veterans get delayed. It seemed like the vast majority of Iraq and Afghanistan vets get delayed.

So our country is happy to send them over there with all kinds of cool weapons, but then the gov't balks at letting them buy a gun here at home. Kinda sucks.
I have seen this quite a bit and it disturbs me as well.
plant.one wrote:did they tell you what caused the delay? was it the NICS check or what?
NICS declares proceed, delayed or denied. They do not give a reason. If denied, expect a visit from an agent.
dellet wrote:ATF monitors a lot of different gun forums. They probably saw your other thread, just wait until they start on the paper work for your stamps.

That is if they get this cleared up before July 15th.
Aluminum foil hats help them not identify you :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.