How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

How far can you shoot subs?

Post by steven11b »

I find it fun and challenging shooting(lobbing) subsonic rounds down range at distances past what I would call practical. With that said I have been successful at sending them out to 300yds with a eotech/Trijicon mro using a 50yd zero getting hits on a IPSC sized steel target at a decent hit rate.

What's the farthest you guys have been able to get hits at using a redot, magnified optic or irons? Anyone up for a little friendly competition?

If there is enough interest we can have different categories with optics, distances.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by certifiable »

With iron sights I can get subs out to 300 yds easily enough. With my 1-4x I have gone out to
545 yds. I would try further if my range had the capacity to do so.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet and I have spoken about what a hoot it would be to have a LR sub match. I'm game, but am limited to 300 yards at the range. Maybe smallest target or best group. I think it would be a blast on smallest target - adding a bit of creativity to the fun.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

rebel wrote:dellet and I have spoken about what a hoot it would be to have a LR sub match. I'm game, but am limited to 300 yards at the range. Maybe smallest target or best group. I think it would be a blast on smallest target - adding a bit of creativity to the fun.
Sounds like fun! A set distance of 200 or 300 yds, whichever one will allow all who want to participate do so. A set target size of maybe a postcard, 3.5"x5.5". 1- 5 shot goup for score, any rounds partially or completely off the target do not count.
Smallest group with the highest hit count wins bragging rights. Would just need to come up with a penalty value for the misses
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Post by walnutz »

I know Rebel has egg shoots with the kids once a year.

How bout an egg at 300 yards that would be some good fun.

I'm to far away to compete, just adding a suggestion.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

certifiable wrote:
rebel wrote:dellet and I have spoken about what a hoot it would be to have a LR sub match. I'm game, but am limited to 300 yards at the range. Maybe smallest target or best group. I think it would be a blast on smallest target - adding a bit of creativity to the fun.
Sounds like fun! A set distance of 200 or 300 yds, whichever one will allow all who want to participate do so. A set target size of maybe a postcard, 3.5"x5.5". 1- 5 shot goup for score, any rounds partially or completely off the target do not count.
Smallest group with the highest hit count wins bragging rights. Would just need to come up with a penalty value for the misses
I can easily access 200, beyond that takes some planning.

If we stay around 200 we could do 10 shots w/without optic :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

walnutz wrote:I know Rebel has egg shoots with the kids once a year.

Honor system, If someone needs to cheat to win a contest for internet bragging rights they're welcome to post any target they see fit. :lol:
walnutz
Silent But Deadly

Post by walnutz »

dellet wrote:

Honor system, If someone needs to cheat to win a contest for internet bragging rights they're welcome to post any target they see fit. :lol:
I know I can't do it. Just making a suggestion for targets. :lol: :lol:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

walnutz wrote:
dellet wrote:

I know I can't do it. Just making a suggestion for targets. :lol: :lol:
There's a reason Rebel beats the kids
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

You damn right. The little boogers can shoot!
I like certs rules. While irons and optics would be fun, that may exclude some so here's my suggestion. 200 yards, each shot on target 10 points, no score for miss or cutting the edge (damn cert, your tough), tie breakers will be smallest group. Run what you brung.
I know some of you have a load developed for distance - i haven't fooled with it enough past 100 so, shall we start in June - one entry a month and we all decide at the end of said month. A measuring device such as a ruler or tape must be laid from furthest holes unless you have cert's program. Your calipers can lay there or be used to confirm for the photo, but a straight ruler should be used.
Keep it honest and fun. We should give a nod to the crappiest group as well for fun. So post some of the bad ones.
What do y'all think?
Cert's gonna whoop our asses anyway, might as well strive for something - fun! :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.