How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by steven11b »

rebel wrote:Guys , I've got a load working ( I think) but the wife has a follow up with the doctor and I don't want to drag the young'an to the range this evening in 96 degree heat with 80% humidity. I have a card I could post but it sucks, experiment gone bad so when I do post one you can DQ it for being late or I can pay off the soup nazi but it ain't happening today. Life just got in the way the last week. What ever the group decides I'll live with.
Ill be posting mine on Wednesday. Screw the Soup Nazi!
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bangbangping wrote:
rebel wrote:Guys , I've got a load working ( I think) but the wife has a follow up with the doctor and I don't want to drag the young'an to the range this evening in 96 degree heat with 80% humidity. I have a card I could post but it sucks, experiment gone bad so when I do post one you can DQ it for being late or I can pay off the soup nazi but it ain't happening today. Life just got in the way the last week. What ever the group decides I'll live with.
I just talked to the soup nazi. He was surprisingly tolerant.
I promised him a bottle of mustard - bribery at it's finest! ( Not THE bottle just a bottle :mrgreen: )
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

rebel wrote:Guys , I've got a load working ( I think) but the wife has a follow up with the doctor and I don't want to drag the young'an to the range this evening in 96 degree heat with 80% humidity.
Only 80%? I hope ya'll kept bundled up over there :lol:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I feel for you man. I know it's rough in the flatland.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I moved to AZ in may and my weather has improved! Went from Texas summers of 100+ and 80-90% humidity to high 80's and 10% humidity.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote: I work with a lot of semi off the chart powders. Many I have found reference to or some load data searching 300 Whisper loads using Google translator. "Kaboom" does not translate into every language tho and many are not suitable for cycling AR's.

I took a quick glance at the loading bench this morning on the way out and currently these are the powders in the "need more exploring section"

VV N105 A little faster than #9,cleaner quieter, runs my SBR with 220+ bullets
VV N110 Close to H110, Cert's done a lot with this and has data for it
VV N120 A little faster than 1680, Cleaner quieter. Runs carbine gas very well
VV N32c/Tin Star Like Trail boss, but not as bulky. 11 grains fills a case instead of 6
All of those work very well, it's just a matter of finding best application

MP 300 a good alternative to H110, needs about 5% more powder for same velocity, seems to have less pressure, works much better for heavier supers 150 + than H110.

LT-30 I have not found many things that this will not cycle without a suppressor. Lighter bullets, less than 200 grains can be very dirty. It cycled some 135's in a carbine gas setup.

Vectan/Nobel sport
AS
BA 6.5
BA 9
These have all worked well for hand cycled actions and show promise. I have tried the AS in an AR and it's a no go. The other two will probably run supers, maybe select bullet weight subs.

Shooters world, I really have not had time to get too deeply into these
DO37-02 = #9
D063-02 = 1680
D063-01 no time yet.

AA 4100 looks good for light supers, data is out there but no one seems to use it. I tried with 150's and could not gt the velocity I wanted.

There might be a couple others that show promise that I did not see. Basically there's just to many powders and bullets.

Basically too much stuff too little time.
I quit reading around the small part and just ordered one of everything from Powder Valley. Seemed the simplest way to go. :mrgreen:
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

First note of business: My opinion is that Reb gets an extension to this months deadline.

Tried 200yds with irons shooting my 12.5" AAC barrel upper. Load was the 208gr ELD, 2.220" OAL, 1.495" CBTO, LC annealed and trimmed to 1.360" +/- .002"
CCI 400, light crimp using the Lee FCD and 7.25gr VV N105 loaded on my progressive press. I didn't get the velocity of the first attempt but group #2 was 1063 fps, ES 13 and group #3 was 1048 fps, ES 17.
My sorry A.. excuse is that it was evening, shooting facing west with the sun glaring off my front sight post :roll:
#1 Totally pulled the 2nd shot so only 4 hit the 22"x28" backer with 1 shot hitting the mark

#2 Again. 1 shot hitting

#3 All rounds missed

Same load at 300 yds out of my 16" pistol gas AAC barrel with 4X mag
Took a guess at the dope and got the following. I must have pulled the one shot because the ES was good

Group #2

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Best weather conditions we've had yet for any day I've been out trying this challenge. We finally didn't have the heavy winds but I was still not able to get all five on but the total group is getting smaller.

Ruger ranch shot off of sandbags with vortex crossfire II 4-12 on 12. Same 208gr ELD-M load.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

SwampDog_13 wrote:Image

Best weather conditions we've had yet for any day I've been out trying this challenge. We finally didn't have the heavy winds but I was still not able to get all five on but the total group is getting smaller.

Ruger ranch shot off of sandbags with vortex crossfire II 4-12 on 12. Same 208gr ELD-M load.
Nice group. Two clicks up and you would have nailed it.

Cert, you're scaring me with that 300 group.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Cert that 300yd group is pretty darn good, thats beyond what I would have thought a sub load would be capable of.

I revisited the lee crimp die again today after getting my new lantac bcg in the mail and headed out to retest some loads. I ended seating the bullet out .025 further and used a very light crimp. I shot a group of .735" at 100 yards with 16 ES! Cant wait to test these tomorrow at 200yds and a good shooting position.