How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Personally I would never enter a 300 yard competition as it requires me to drive well over an hour to get to the nearest place I can shoot that far. Matter of fact the nearest 200 yard range is about the same distance but the other way. That is the biggest reason why I haven't shot in these as of yet because it requires a significant amount of preparation and planning to make the trip to the range.

There are other ways to prove how well your gun and you shoot without the need to shoot 300, 200 or even 100 yards. There is something called the Black Death Challenge and it was invented a long time ago, definitely long before the current racial problems we have, otherwise the name would have been different I am sure. Rather than explain it is it just better to post the target for all to see. Basically you want to remove the center dot without touching the black border around it. And the circle you stay inside goes from a 1.5" circle to a .5" circle.

You can read the rules and get the target above as well as a practice targets.
http://toyfj40.freeshell.org/GunPix/BlackDeath.html
And the best part is this target is extremely challenging even at 25 yards.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
pdoshier

Post by pdoshier »

Those types of challenges are all great ideas. Kind of like Appleseed, great for marksmanship and with reduced ranges by scaling the targets. But I think we need a new thread for those. Pick one and start it. But they aren't in line with this thread and it's original goals, IMHO.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Let's keep it 200 yards. 300 for those with the rifle and load to do it. And a small target for those that don't have access to 200 yards. Those shooting at 100 must do group size times 3.326. Subs misbehave after 100 and even more so after 150. It is conceivable to shoot a .5 group at 50 and have it go all to hell at 200. I know I've done it. By shooting a group that measured .600 center to center at 100 would be a fair handicap. Just my suggestion.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

rebel wrote:Let's keep it 200 yards. 300 for those with the rifle and load to do it. And a small target for those that don't have access to 200 yards. Those shooting at 100 must do group size times 3.326. Subs misbehave after 100 and even more so after 150. It is conceivable to shoot a .5 group at 50 and have it go all to hell at 200. I know I've done it. By shooting a group that measured .600 center to center at 100 would be a fair handicap. Just my suggestion.
You're telling me. My one ragged little .3" five shot group @ 50 yards was over 6" @ 200 yards
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Alright, September 15th is next due date. 200 yards 3x5 card round 4. If you have access and want to shoot past that, post your results for some bragging rights. But we will keep the mustard grab at 200yards.

Lets get more participants in this!
Last edited by steven11b on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

steven11b wrote:Alright, July 15th is next due date. 200 yards 3x5 card round 4. If you have access and want to shoot past that, post your results for some bragging rights. But we will keep the mustard grab at 200yards.

Can I have an extension until September 15th, I don't think I'll make it for July?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

steven11b wrote:Alright, July 15th is next due date. 200 yards 3x5 card round 4. If you have access and want to shoot past that, post your results for some bragging rights. But we will keep the mustard grab at 200yards.

Sweet! 11 months to work up a load.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

dellet wrote:

Can I have an extension until September 15th, I don't think I'll make it for July?
It clearly says September 15th :lol:
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Hummmm seems like someone was trying to expand this contest and even mentioned that it would get more people involved but was TOTALLY FU(<ing IGNORED but now that you thought of it ,it sounds like a great idea. Just can't remember who made that post a month or so ago.
When people only have access to factory rounds and a field then you alienate them immediately when you turn it in to a bench rest bullseye competition. Plus it has absolutely NO real world application.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Guest762 wrote:Hummmm seems like someone was trying to expand this contest and even mentioned that it would get more people involved but was TOTALLY FU(<ing IGNORED but now that you thought of it ,it sounds like a great idea. Just can't remember who made that post a month or so ago.
When people only have access to factory rounds and a field then you alienate them immediately when you turn it in to a bench rest bullseye competition. Plus it has absolutely NO real world application.
Whats this about? I never intended any kind of bench rest competition. In fact if you look at the places I shoot its on public land out in the middle of nowhere, on the ground with a shooting mat. I never alienated anyone and your upset that I proposed shooting at 300 yards with no sighters? Wouldnt you be satisified that I tried to add in the very thing you suggested?