How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

svh
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by svh »

On your second card with the 240 Leatherheads, Why are the hits keyholed ? Are they unstable at that distance, or all distances ?

Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

svh wrote:On your second card with the 240 Leatherheads, Why are the hits keyholed ? Are they unstable at that distance, or all distances ?

Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:
I believe that they start to tumble as soon as they hit the laminated wood backer. My basis for this idea is that I always see the bullets kick up dirt after passing through the target and often it is several yards to the left or right and behind the target stand.
I believe a lot of people don't realize or fail to consider what a bullet does once it passes through an object but once you spend some time shooting suppressed you become aware of how badly projectiles will ricochet and still fly a long distance AND retain a good deal of energy.

Case in point, a few weeks ago I was shooting at from the 200 yard bench and had driven down to change targets. Unbeknownst to be the guy in the pistol pit which is surrounded by a 15 foot tall berm, was shooting his 45 acp 1911 at plastic bottles placed on the ground 15 yards in front of him (a big no-no at my club). I heard the eerie sound a ricochet makes as it travels towards you followed by a loud metallic smack. The ball round had ricocheted off the ground, went over the berm and flew 200 yards hitting the side of my vehicle with enough force to leave the dent pictured below and continued to travel god knows where.
The impact was right at head level for me and I believe had it hit me instead of the truck I would not be here to type this. Luckily I was behind the opposite side of the SUV.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I notice you did not refer to him as a former member. I assume he at least will get the bill for the repairs.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

[/quote]
For what it's worth, the simple post card challenge was one I threw out half jokingly when there was a discussion about the accuracy difference between 300BLK and 7.62X39.

200 yards iron sights, five on a post card. Certifiable took that challenge to heart. I felt it was a very practical challenge, hit something in the heart.

Just to do a little bragging for Cert. here is one of his targets at 200 yards with irons and supers.

Image[/quote]

IIRC that was with factory ammo

[/quote]
As for the competition, I think the photos will sort themselves out pretty quickly. MOA or points does not really matter, clean hit 1, cut the line 0, clean miss -1. The important thing is to get people out there doing it. So many people think the cartridge is only good for 100 yards with supers, 200 yards with subs world shut a few mouths.[/quote]

Sounds like a reasonable method for scoring.

Abraham Lincoln
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

dellet wrote:I notice you did not refer to him as a former member. I assume he at least will get the bill for the repairs.

He has verbally agreed to paying the repair bill ONCE the repair is completed but we shall see if he is a man of his word.
The Board Member's are split between letting him stay if he pays the bill or kicking him out irregardless.

Abraham Lincoln
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

certifiable wrote:
dellet wrote:I notice you did not refer to him as a former member. I assume he at least will get the bill for the repairs.

He has verbally agreed to paying the repair bill ONCE the repair is completed but we shall see if he is a man of his word.
The Board Member's are split between letting him stay if he pays the bill or kicking him out irregardless.
Get the cash before they send him packing. :mrgreen:

As close as that is to a contour and a window, it's not a cheap fix. Unless you do't care if it leaks.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

So the rules are going to be a 5 shot group on 3.5"x 5.5" card and the 1 point hit, edge 0 and miss -1 scoring system?

3 categories:
200yd, magnified optic
200yd, irons or reddit
300yds magnified optic

Use any rest or shooting position, and shoot as many groups or sighters as one wants then post best 5 shot group.

Must use subs and post load data on the card.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

1 point hit, 1 point edge, 0 miss I'll agree to. If you cut the line you gotta get something.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

rebel wrote:1 point hit, 1 point edge, 0 miss I'll agree to. If you cut the line you gotta get something.
Ok, I agree with that.

Mandatory supressor mounted while shooting since it is subs?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

WELLLLL, in perfect zero wind laboratory conditions, if you shot at a 75 degree angle, you could lob a 210 Berger VLD about 1000 yards. It probably won't have any poop at all by then, but you could do it. :lol:

See:

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... t=a42f114f
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.