Am I going to regret selling my AAC upper?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Am I going to regret selling my AAC upper?

Post by voip-1 »

triehl27 wrote:It's a handguard issue for cripes sake. You like the KMR Handguard, Swap it over. If it isn't the right size check the manufacturer for the right size, order it.
EDITED, they are both 9" guns, just swap the parts out call it good, there is NO reason to be considering giving up a perfect upper that you like.
NEVER get rid of a gun you enjoy, for something you don't enjoy as much. That simple.
I'm not sure who I would swap the hand guard from a brand new upper with one I don't like. I could purchase a KAC guard though, I would just prefer an m-lok set up on this rifle due to some accessories used. Only M-lok is SLR or I have to drop to 7" which I would prefer not to do.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Sell a great shooting upper because of the handguard? Change the handguard to what you desire, it sure as heck doesn't require a rocket science degree.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

tXr wrote:Sell a great shooting upper because of the handguard? Change the handguard to what you desire, it sure as heck doesn't require a rocket science degree.
I think you've made your point, thanks. As I pointed out only one company makes an 8 inch m lok hand guard and I don't know much about them.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

voip-1 wrote:
tXr wrote:Sell a great shooting upper because of the handguard? Change the handguard to what you desire, it sure as heck doesn't require a rocket science degree.
I think you've made your point, thanks. As I pointed out only one company makes an 8 inch m lok hand guard and I don't know much about them.
OK, I see your issue, I do have a solution. Purchase the ALG V1 Mlok, 10",,,,,, to create a 8" have a shop lathe off the last m-loc opening and you have a 8" M-loc, you can not tell it isn't a factory offering. I have done this for several guys lately that really liked the ALG handguards but wanted a M-loc vrs the key-mod 8" handguards they carry.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

tXr wrote:OK, I see your issue, I do have a solution. Purchase the ALG V1 Mlok, 10",,,,,, to create a 8" have a shop lathe off the last m-loc opening and you have a 8" M-loc, you can not tell it isn't a factory offering. I have done this for several guys lately that really liked the ALG handguards but wanted a M-loc vrs the key-mod 8" handguards they carry.
Hacksaw, sand paper and Sharpie are the only tools required.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

smustian wrote:
tXr wrote:OK, I see your issue, I do have a solution. Purchase the ALG V1 Mlok, 10",,,,,, to create a 8" have a shop lathe off the last m-loc opening and you have a 8" M-loc, you can not tell it isn't a factory offering. I have done this for several guys lately that really liked the ALG handguards but wanted a M-loc vrs the key-mod 8" handguards they carry.
Hacksaw, sand paper and Sharpie are the only tools required.
I get excellent results from my bandsaw and the sanding station's 8" sanding disc. Then I would mix up some Duracoat and leave the Sharpie alone.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

Y'all beat me to it. Cutting down a handguard is a fairly easy task.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

SLR has good products. I used 2 of them when helping a few friends with their rifles. I will be using them on my my .458 socom SBR I'm the future.

I think joeboboutfitters.com has good prices on them.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

If you're asking the question, the answer is "yes".

I used to have a rule that I never sold a firearm, but it got kind of stupid when I couldn't close the safe, had guns under the bed, etc. Still get a twinge when I think of a few that I sold. And by "get a twinge" I mean "kick myself in the ass." :lol:
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

SLR products are EXCELLENT, you won't have any issues in their quality or Customer Service, but I may be slightly biased, I use their HG's and AGB's exclusively in all of my personal builds.

I lean towards building from scratch so that I get what I want from the get-go.

Be aware that for switching out the handguard of the upper you have now WILL have some effect on the current accuracy level by virtue of removing the barrel nut ( if a new barrel nut required by new handguard). The effect could go either way. But, it could also give you an opportunity to do some things to enhance the accuracy potential (receiver truing, extension bedding, etc.).