TROY PDW and 300 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

fun

TROY PDW and 300 BLK

Post by fun »

Did some R&D and discovered that the Troy PDW stock will function perfectly with both supers and subs with a 9" factory BCM upper.

Ran perfectly in full auto with 110 Barnes TAC-TX suppressed and unsuppressed.
Ran perfectly in full auto with Gemtech 187 suppressed. I did not try subs un-suppressed.

Thought I would share for anyone interested in trying a PDW stock. I cant figure out how to upload videos so heres photos.

With PDW stock and 9" upper its about the same size as a Sig MPX with MP5 style stock.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Re: TROY PDW and 300 BLK

Post by steven11b »

Gorgeous rifle! I wish I went that route when building mine. Does that stock kit have the noise of a standard buffer and spring when the action cycles?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Nice looking SBR there. Thanks for the info too!

R
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I no longer do business with TROY. Glad you like the stock though.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
mostholycerebus
Silent But Deadly

Post by mostholycerebus »

I wont buy from Troy, but its nice to see more of these PDW style stocks out there. Maybe the prices will drop some.
povertybruh

Post by povertybruh »

steven11b wrote:Gorgeous rifle! I wish I went that route when building mine. Does that stock kit have the noise of a standard buffer and spring when the action cycles?
Curious about this as well - and why you're wearing ear pro? Supers? I'm hoping that setup is hearing safe with subs.
fun

Post by fun »

povertybruh wrote:
steven11b wrote:Gorgeous rifle! I wish I went that route when building mine. Does that stock kit have the noise of a standard buffer and spring when the action cycles?
Curious about this as well - and why you're wearing ear pro? Supers? I'm hoping that setup is hearing safe with subs.
The sound is more of a "thud" and no you don't get any of the spring related sounds. Its much more pleasant of a sound than the standard receiver extension and buffer. That being said, the TROY PDW stock isnt really all that comfortable to shoot. I prefer the Magpul CTR. The PDW really is just nice for its size, it can easily fit into a backpack.

I always wear earpro when i can, even with subs. Sorry but I don't think ANY can is really "hearing safe". Say a 9mm or 300blk sub is around 120db. Thats quiet, and impressive to people, but really its still bad for your hearing. I just don't see a downside to protecting your ears, especially when firing hundreds of rounds, that 120db over and over again cant be good for you, even if it sounds quiet.
but yes...300blk with subs and an omega is very quiet.

Personally I think the suppressor industry has done a disservice to a lot of people by calling products "hearing safe". There are plenty of peer reviewed medical documents that say repeated sounds at 110db causes hearing damage. Really everyone should wear earpro when shooting, especially when doing mag dumps for fun.
stengun
Senior Silent Operator

Post by stengun »

Howdy,

Cool gun!

Hearing protection?

Who needs hearing protection!?!

Oh, wait...... I'm 20% Service Connected due to combat related small arms fire from not having proper hearing protection.

Any time I shoot I'll wear hearing protection. About the only time I don't is when firing a couple of rounds from a .22LR rifle or a mag or two from a suppressed.22LR pistol. More than that I were ear plugs.

Paul
I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill & Hillary National Airport!!!
rangermac

Post by rangermac »

I'm hoping my Battle Arms Development Vert stock is going to prove reliable in the 300. I built it for a .223 suppressed SBR. Started a 300 upper for it. Have 10.5" barrel and Odin Works adjustable gas block. Need to get another can going while the .223 is still in ATF jail.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I really like that pattern on that gun.

I started making snakeskin patterns when I had my FFL's and local gunsmith service back in probably '05 or so. Seems like after that, it kinda caught on.

Only piece I still have left that I haven't sold is my old magpul M93 stock and Eotech cover that is on my SBR. It's a yellow timber rattler though. All of my copperhead pieces were sold.

Again, I think that receiver looks great.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.