Another "Help Me Pick A Barrel" thread - for SBR

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BrushyHillGuide

Another "Help Me Pick A Barrel" thread - for SBR

Post by BrushyHillGuide »

Brand new to 300BK. I tried searching searching for other threads on barrel choice but everything I found referred to longer barrels. I'm wanting to build a SBR .300BK, mainly for my wife and kids. This will be a dedicated suppressed rifle. From what I've found, in my research, is that a 9" will be as long as I need. I've got Noveske barrels on some other SBRs and I'm fine with getting a Noveske 300BK barrel; but, before I do, I'd like to make sure there's not a more accurate or inexpensive maker? Also, I'm wondering if there's ANY reason to go longer than 9" on a SBR?

This rifle will be for predator hunting, hog hunting and some deer hunting. I'd like to be able to shoot out to 150yds but even 100 would be great. I will be running both subs and supers.

So, what barrels should I be looking at for this SBR build?
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Another "Help Me Pick A Barrel" thread - for SBR

Post by 20X11 »

KAK Industries...they are a member here. Great barrels. Mr Blond barrel has somewhat of a "cult" following.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

No complaints with my Ballistic Advantage 8.3" Hanson Profile. More accurate than I am.
10ring1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 10ring1 »

+1 for KAK. Got a 8.5 overrun that I am more than satisfied with
10ring1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 10ring1 »

+1 for KAK. Got a 8.5 overrun that I am more than satisfied with
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

I'm not much help for selecting a manufacture for a 300 BLK barrel.
I've run nothing but Noveske barrels in 300 BLK.
Got one of their very first 10" 300 BLK barrels with the cartridge was introduced in 2010 and had some issues with it.
Noveske handled it with class and took care of me.
viewtopic.php?f=172&t=97506

As far as SBR length, 9" would be just fine.
Additional length should be considered when you are looking to get as much velocity as you can.
8.5" - 10.5" is a good target window for a 300 BLK SBR.

For barrel selection, my short list would be:
Noveske
AAC
X-Caliber
KAK
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
withoutremorse42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by withoutremorse42 »

I've got a noveske 8.2" I've loved and am selling to fund a shorter build.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
Southern 300

Post by Southern 300 »

Personal experience with an 8.2" and 10.2" Noveske. Both are performing well. Neither were cheap. Now you would have to select the 8.5" and 10.5" since the former are no longer made.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

BrushyHillGuide wrote:Brand new to 300BK. I tried searching searching for other threads on barrel choice but everything I found referred to longer barrels. I'm wanting to build a SBR .300BK, mainly for my wife and kids. This will be a dedicated suppressed rifle. From what I've found, in my research, is that a 9" will be as long as I need. I've got Noveske barrels on some other SBRs and I'm fine with getting a Noveske 300BK barrel; but, before I do, I'd like to make sure there's not a more accurate or inexpensive maker? Also, I'm wondering if there's ANY reason to go longer than 9" on a SBR?

This rifle will be for predator hunting, hog hunting and some deer hunting. I'd like to be able to shoot out to 150yds but even 100 would be great. I will be running both subs and supers.

....you stated 2 different criteria :P

....at the barrel lengths you've mentioned, IMHO the accuracy difference between most brands is minimal. especially the well established brand names that have been making 300BLK barrels for a while (experience in what does and doesn't work).

.....I found that my 10.1" Ballistic Advantage gives up very little in FPS as compared to my 16" Brownells 5R. I have since used BA barrels exclusively in my 300BLK, 556 and .308Win builds. Performance, price and CS (if ever needed) have been very high.

Just an afterthought, considering how in the 300BLK community most like the the "shorter" lengths, I'm surprised that more suppressor makers aren't leaning towards shorter cans with larger diameter (increased volume) blast chambers or along the full length due the LOS distance above the bore the AR platform entails?
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

BrushyHillGuide wrote:Brand new to 300BK. I tried searching searching for other threads on barrel choice but everything I found referred to longer barrels. I'm wanting to build a SBR .300BK, mainly for my wife and kids. This will be a dedicated suppressed rifle. From what I've found, in my research, is that a 9" will be as long as I need. I've got Noveske barrels on some other SBRs and I'm fine with getting a Noveske 300BK barrel; but, before I do, I'd like to make sure there's not a more accurate or inexpensive maker? Also, I'm wondering if there's ANY reason to go longer than 9" on a SBR?

I think you are right about the 9" barrel length. Seems to me that the whole point of making a SBR is to keep it as short as possible, given your needs. I just finished my first and am happy to date. I've not shot for accuracy yet, just over my chronograph to establish subsonic and supersonic loads and to break all the moving parts in. You didn't mention pistol vs carbine length gas so I assume you will use a pistol length gas system as that is what most everyone uses. I'd recommend getting the gas block and tube from the same place you get the barrel. I have a gas piston 16" AR and am pleased with it in that rifle but from what I've read gas pistons don't work well in SBR.