Hackathorn: 300BLK Fades, Joins 6.8

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Meridian
Silent Operator

Hackathorn: 300BLK Fades, Joins 6.8

Post by Meridian »

From Ken Hackathorn's recent newsletter predicting trends for the future of firearms:

"I predict that the 300 Blackout will continue to fade in popularity and soon join the 6.8."

Link to newsletter: http://eepurl.com/bTTrzP

I'm not an industry insider, but my anecdotal observation is that 300BLK may be starting to plateau.
teegee52
Silent Operator

Re: Hackathorn: 300BLK Fades, Joins 6.8

Post by teegee52 »

From what I have seen in magazines, on line, and product availability in stores, the interest for the Blackout seems to be continually increasing. I just finished my 3rd and have parts on order to build one for my son in law.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

meh, and?

The 6.8 has a good reputation and is here to stay. the 300blk is not going anywhere either.

Naysayers and doubters have been predicting the 300 blk to fail and fade since it was announced. Nothing new here, another guy with a keyboard and a crystal ball on the fritz
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

I read that story earlier today and it made me wonder. About 8 years ago I jumped on the 6.8 bandwagon but will admit I was never impressed. I imagine if the military did adopt it it probably would have gained more steam but it didn't. Not long after I tried the .300bo as well and ditched the 6.8. Not because I thought the 300 was better but just because I was something different. A year later I got my first can and then I was thoroughly addicted and have been for the past 5 or so years. Over 40 guns in my safe and some how the 300 almost always makes it to the range. With the popularity suppressors have been gaining in the last few years I want to think the 300 is going to stick around and stay popular for quite some time. Let's hope we're right because the more popular it becomes the more manufacturers for not only guns but ammo as well will jump on the band wagon and give shooters more options.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

I have both and like it that way... not getting rid of either of them... probably add another 300blk though :lol:
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

One of these calibers can be found regularly at WalMart, and it ain't 6.8.

Gunwriters have bills to pay too, and he's got lots of competition from just about every dude with a GoPro and access to a shooting range. So maybe he's right, or maybe he's blowing smoke. I'm not selling any guns over it.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
teegee52
Silent Operator

Post by teegee52 »

One thing for sure, we "ain't" gonna run out of brass or bullets.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Prediction = WAG
Either way, I have a 16" Carbine, 8.25" SBR, and a RARR all in blackout. Love em all. I can the later 2 and that makes for more fun. I guess with 3 that's about as far as I'm gonna go so I'm sure I'm part of the "plateau" stat.
However, of the folks I know that own another AR caliber, they chose the Blackout.

I'd also like to build a 6.8. I'm sure I'd like it too. Last build I did was a 5.56. Come to think of it last 2 builds I did were 5.56.

Damn, I'm the one that's messing the whole deal up!
Sorry guys. Hope you forgive me. :lol:
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Here's a good poll!

When was the last time anyone bought a gun magazine?!

Articles in gun mags are bought and paid for by advertising. Period. Which means biased. Remington R51 perfect example.

So for the A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. arm chair mall ninja I'm sure they are having fun with some shiny new safe queen.

Disclaimer: for all those that are add and adhd this does not apply to you unless you are an arm chair mall ninja :mrgreen:

Shiny!
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

DutchV wrote:One of these calibers can be found regularly at WalMart, and it ain't 6.8.

Gunwriters have bills to pay too, and he's got lots of competition from just about every dude with a GoPro and access to a shooting range. So maybe he's right, or maybe he's blowing smoke. I'm not selling any guns over it.

give that man a kewpie doll. 8)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.