Barrel Suggestion?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

duckgoose

Barrel Suggestion?

Post by duckgoose »

All,
Long time lurker here, and after watching topics for a long time I know that some of you will be able to help. I am building up my first 16" upper and need some barrel advice. I have narrowed down to CMMG multi role profile 1:7, wilson combat recon tactical 1:7, wilson combat recon tactical 1:8, and odin works stainless 1:8. Are there any others under $300 that I am overlooking? All are carbine length gas and will be run unsupressed with an adjustable gas block. Can anyone chime in with a recommendation for which would be the best combination of accurate and reliable function? Really appreciate everyone's contribution to this forum. You all made my pistol build a successful adventure!
Thanks!
Last edited by duckgoose on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
duckgoose

Re: Barrel Suggestion?

Post by duckgoose »

Will also add that I shoot 80% of the time with supers. Rifle will mainly be a paper punching range toy with the exception of a hunt once in a while.
duckgoose

Post by duckgoose »

Are the aac barrels as accurate as the others? I haven't seen much in the way of accuracy tests done with them.
kinganuthin

Post by kinganuthin »

I've built a 16" and a 10.3" with Ballistic Advantage BA Hanson barrels. Both less than 200. Both are sub moa with HPR that has barnes black tip. Best hunting round imo.

If you don't plan on using subs, no need for adjustable gas block.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

duckgoose wrote:Are the aac barrels as accurate as the others? I haven't seen much in the way of accuracy tests done with them.
I have only used AAC barrels on my four blackout builds so I cannot compare their accuracy to barrels from other manufacturers but I can tell you that mine will shoot MOA or better at distance with my hand loads
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

kinganuthin wrote:I've built a 16" and a 10.3" with Ballistic Advantage BA Hanson barrels. Both less than 200. Both are sub moa with HPR that has barnes black tip. Best hunting round imo.

If you don't plan on using subs, no need for adjustable gas block.
+1 for BA barrels. I have several in both .300bo and 5.56 for my SBR's and they are amazing.
duckgoose

Post by duckgoose »

kinganuthin wrote:If you don't plan on using subs, no need for adjustable gas block.
I run adjustable gas blocks on all calibers I build uppers for to fine tune them.

While I hadn't considered the AAC barrels or Daniel Defense, I now find myself more confused than I was. Seems like everyone has an opinion about what has worked well for them, and I appreciate that. At this price point can I really go wrong? Maybe I should have asked if there are barrel makers at the $200+ range to avoid in a 16" carbine gas system?
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Buy a BCM barrel.

It is chrome lined, it is fluted, and in your price range.

Otherwise buy the AAC for 174.00
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
duckgoose

Post by duckgoose »

Just noticed that the AAC barrel mentioned above has a press fit gas block. From pictures it looks like press fit means pinned. never tackled one. Is this something I can handle, or does it really need a smith to do it?
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

duckgoose wrote:Just noticed that the AAC barrel mentioned above has a press fit gas block. From pictures it looks like press fit means pinned. never tackled one. Is this something I can handle, or does it really need a smith to do it?
Hammer and a punch is all that is needed to install the roll pin, gas block will slide right on.
The link dellet posted appears to be their limited run 16" barrel with pistol length gas
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln