I need optic advise, please help!!!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

vandy58
Silent But Deadly

I need optic advise, please help!!!

Post by vandy58 »

Long story short $2200 in EOTech sights are at EOTech awaiting their refund. I'm going all over the place on what optic to replace them with in my .300blk. I'm using an AAC 9.5" SBR. There is a can attached to it at times. I'm using subs and supers and will finally start reloading them as I am finally out of ammo. I will be shooting at paper (stretching the distance of this round) and hunting hogs so my need are all over. I've looked at leupold Mark 6 on down, vortex razor hd gen II on down, aimpoint, and finally trijicon. I keep coming back to trijicon because of their .300blk reticle. I've looked at the ACOG 4x32 LED with mounting an RMR on the sight. I've read how some people hate how high the RMR sits. I then go to the VCOG. The concept is awesome, they are the only one with a .300blk offering in a 1x6 and it's a true 1x! Only thing is they are super expensive and they weigh almost 2 pounds! Last week Amazon had them at 1887 and I was dumb enough to wait until this week (went up $400). What do you guys think? What experience have you guys had with all of these offerings? Thanks for any help!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: I need optic advise, please help!!!

Post by dellet »

Trijicon 1x6 Accupoint and learn MOA or MIL dot.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products ... 5-C-200090

Sig also has a 1x6 but is not yet on the streets that I know of not sure on a 300 BLK reticle.

They do have a 1x4

http://www.sigoptics.com/model/tango4-1-4x24-mm/
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Vortex spitfire. 3x prism works great for me but I don't shoot much past 100. Just have to figure out your holdovers. Plus it was about $250. That's a lot cheaper than my acog that I hardly shoot bc of the blkout.
vandy58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vandy58 »

dellet wrote:Trijicon 1x6 Accupoint and learn MOA or MIL dot.

Sig also has a 1x6 but is not yet on the streets that I know of not sure on a 300 BLK reticle.

They do have a 1x4

Um not sure I missed that one? I kept looking at accupower. How bright is the fiber optic in the day and he tritium at night. I got rid of my PVS-14 so dusk and possible at night situations with a light are very possible.

As to a 1x4 I've seriously considered that which they do have in the accupower. Only reason I didn't buy then and there is that damn .300blk reticle. It takes damn near all guessing out of it. It's lazy, I know
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I also am waiting for a check from eotech . I do own an aimpoint pro and had it on my 8.5 inch blackout for a while and it worked out great for the 100 yds and under I used the pistol for by far I think the aimpoint is the best red dot out there . I now have a c-more red dot sight with a 2 moa dot on the 8.5 inch and love it . I like it alot better than I liked the eotech . I recently purchased the primary arms 1x6 with the 300/7.62 x 39 reticle . I havent had a chance to shoot it yet and I mounted it on an ak every thing looks good on it but until I shoot with it I can neither say yeah or nay . I do like the chevron reticle it reminds me of my acog which is a ta 31f mounted on a 20 inch a4 clone . the acog is hard to beat but you can wash the tritium out at night with a bright light reflecting off an interior wall outside with a weapon light its good to go and the fiber optic is excellent in day light . I have an ares gen 2 night vision scope on my 16 inch blackout but I doubt that is what your looking for . and last I have a leupold mk4 2.5 x 8 on a remington 700 300 blackout it gives me all the elevation I need to shoot sub-sonic loads out past 200 yds and super sonic past the 300 yds I have for my range .
just my .02 cents I would give the acog with the led a good hard look I find myself going and reading the specs often and I can see one on my carbine at some point . I also dont see the need for a rmr , I have no problem putting rounds on target at damn near contact range and past 25 yds its a no brainer .

confused yet ? I think I could of worded this better but I have been running Hi temp electrical cable beside the boiler at a power plant all day and I think my brain is dehydrated .
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

vandy58 wrote:

They do have a 1x4

Um not sure I missed that one? I kept looking at accupower. How bright is the fiber optic in the day and he tritium at night. I got rid of my PVS-14 so dusk and possible at night situations with a light are very possible.

As to a 1x4 I've seriously considered that which they do have in the accupower. Only reason I didn't buy then and there is that damn .300blk reticle. It takes damn near all guessing out of it. It's lazy, I know
I would compare it to an ACOG, except you can control the lighting. In all honesty I don't think I have ever used the illumination during the day, the tritium works fine. Days here are generally gray and direct sunlight for me is rare.

I have shot out to 200 yards in light low, dark enough that you really could not see the target, 8" orange gong, hit were no problem with subs.

These came out this year and I've only had it a few months, but I am very pleased.

I have also used an ACOG and I have to say for not much more, the 1x6 is very nice.
vandy58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vandy58 »

So I looked it up there are a few sellers with the 1x6 sig in stock. I'm in Texas and it gets super freaking bright most of the time so that's why I'm worried about fiber optic. We have to have bright sights to really see them and illuminated sights against a black hog is pretty worthless. The sig seems awesome but again it's back to fiber optic.
dellet wrote:
vandy58 wrote:

They do have a 1x4

I would compare it to an ACOG, except you can control the lighting. In all honesty I don't think I have ever used the illumination during the day, the tritium works fine. Days here are generally gray and direct sunlight for me is rare.

I have shot out to 200 yards in light low, dark enough that you really could not see the target, 8" orange gong, hit were no problem with subs.

These came out this year and I've only had it a few months, but I am very pleased.

I have also used an ACOG and I have to say for not much more, the 1x6 is very nice.
vandy58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vandy58 »

I'm just unsure if I can shoot a 4x at say 10 yards or less? I've been in contact with hogs at just under 10 yards. If your up wind of them they really don't know until you get on top of them. RMR gives me that dot for close quarters. I know there are people that can keep both eyes open which I can on 1x but not on a 4x. It really messes with my vision. Stupid Amazon, this wouldn't have been an issue if they had kept the price at the 1889! It was only the 300 at that price!
jwb47 wrote:I also am waiting for a check from eotech . I do own an aimpoint pro and had it on my 8.5 inch blackout for a while and it worked out great for the 100 yds and under I used the pistol for by far I think the aimpoint is the best red dot out there . I now have a c-more red dot sight with a 2 moa dot on the 8.5 inch and love it . I like it alot better than I liked the eotech . I recently purchased the primary arms 1x6 with the 300/7.62 x 39 reticle . I havent had a chance to shoot it yet and I mounted it on an ak every thing looks good on it but until I shoot with it I can neither say yeah or nay . I do like the chevron reticle it reminds me of my acog which is a ta 31f mounted on a 20 inch a4 clone . the acog is hard to beat but you can wash the tritium out at night with a bright light reflecting off an interior wall outside with a weapon light its good to go and the fiber optic is excellent in day light . I have an ares gen 2 night vision scope on my 16 inch blackout but I doubt that is what your looking for . and last I have a leupold mk4 2.5 x 8 on a remington 700 300 blackout it gives me all the elevation I need to shoot sub-sonic loads out past 200 yds and super sonic past the 300 yds I have for my range .
just my .02 cents I would give the acog with the led a good hard look I find myself going and reading the specs often and I can see one on my carbine at some point . I also dont see the need for a rmr , I have no problem putting rounds on target at damn near contact range and past 25 yds its a no brainer .

confused yet ? I think I could of worded this better but I have been running Hi temp electrical cable beside the boiler at a power plant all day and I think my brain is dehydrated .
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Not sure I understand your worry, but i've never hunted in Texas.

The lighting for the fiber optic can be adjusted down to zero, thats the knob back by the eyepiece

Even using the ACOG if it is too bright the answer was to block/tape off light to the fiber to keep the reticle from getting fuzzy
vandy58
Silent But Deadly

Post by vandy58 »

dellet wrote:Not sure I understand your worry, but i've never hunted in Texas.

The lighting for the fiber optic can be adjusted down to zero, thats the knob back by the eyepiece

Even using the ACOG if it is too bright the answer was to block/tape off light to the fiber to keep the reticle from getting fuzzy
The ACOG I've been looking at is the LED model. So I was reading more about the tango. It does battery and fiber optic, why would you need a fiber optic? It's a little heavier than the VCOG but coming in at about 800 less (with mount) it's an improvement! I've been told by other hunters in Texas that fiber/tritium combos tend to have issues with no bright enough during the day and not bright enough at night. I thought I was reading the sig was a fiber/tritium combo but I see I was wrong about that. It has a battery. I've always been a sig homer, have four sigs currently but they've had some recent quality controls lately though not on optics (that I know of). Don't suppose you know what the numbers on the 300 reticle are? Meters in hundreds on numbers and meters in 50 on subs? I know that is what trijicon does.