7.5" Barrel

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

themonk
Senior Silent Operator

7.5" Barrel

Post by themonk »

Seems like there are not a as many 7.5 blackout barrels as there used to be. I am currently spoiled as I have a 9" MPW that will shoot anything you feed it.

I am looking to make a compact PDW and I am in need of a barrel. I would like to be at the 7.5 inch range but I guess I could go up to 8. I don't want to go past 8". Does anyone make a reliable (with supers and subs) 7.5" anymore and if not how about an 8"?

Thanks!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 7.5" Barrel

Post by dellet »

The problem with a 7/7.5" barrel is that unsuppressed they are very loud, and most suppressor manufacturers will not warranty their products with barrels under 8". There are a couple, Gemtech has a dedicated 300 blackout can that is good to 7.5".

I have used both lengths and have zero function issues when the rest of the rifle is correctly assembled.

http://www.x-caliber.net
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

dellet wrote:The problem with a 7/7.5" barrel is that unsuppressed they are very loud, and most suppressor manufacturers will not warranty their products with barrels under 8". There are a couple, Gemtech has a dedicated 300 blackout can that is good to 7.5".

I have used both lengths and have zero function issues when the rest of the rifle is correctly assembled.

http://www.x-caliber.net
Heard this from my suppressor manufacturer as well. I had to send one of mine back for a baffle strike and was surprised at their detective skills. I suspect they could tell if you used a 7.5 in barrel.
platella
Silent Operator

Post by platella »

Here is a good read on 300 BLK port sizing and how it relates to reliability in different configurations:
http://micromoa.com/300-blk-port-size-testing/
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

I have an snd6 so barrel lenths I'm looking at are not an issue for warranty.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

themonk wrote:I have an snd6 so barrel lenths I'm looking at are not an issue for warranty.
The Xcaliber barrels have worked out very well for me. Pretty easy MOA out to 200 yards with a 7". I have the 1/6 twist.

I know that they have also done some 6 & 6.5" barrels if you're interested in that. Number and email is on the website I linked above, ask for Dustin.
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

Whats up with the 1/6 twist?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

themonk wrote:Whats up with the 1/6 twist?
Better bullet stabilization for long, slow bullets.
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

dellet wrote:
themonk wrote:Whats up with the 1/6 twist?
Better bullet stabilization for long, slow bullets.
Any issue with barnes 110s though the 1/6?
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

themonk wrote:I have an snd6 so barrel lenths I'm looking at are not an issue for warranty.
I can't find anything on the warrantied barrel length for an SDN-6 on a 300blk. ANyone know for sure?