whats the hype?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hnemes4701

whats the hype?

Post by hnemes4701 »

Ive been shooting my .300blk for awhile now and I don't seem To find the big deal about it.... is there something I'm missing?
In the midst of the apocalypse... if it moves blow its f****** head off.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: whats the hype?

Post by plant.one »

hnemes4701 wrote:Ive been shooting my .300blk for awhile now and I don't seem To find the big deal about it.... is there something I'm missing?

go shoot it some more. you'll get it eventually. some of ya'll are just slow on the uptake i guess :lol: 8) 8)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
yellowfin
Silent Operator

Post by yellowfin »

hnemes4701 wrote:Ive been shooting my .300blk for awhile now and I don't seem To find the big deal about it.... is there something I'm missing?
It depends on what you're looking for. For short barrels it has a lot to offer. For subsonics it's the cheapest and easiest rifle round there is. For defense it's a pretty good option. What do you want it to be?
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

If that's how you feel I will bet you aren't shooting subs through a supressor.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

One of the greatest strengths the 300 Blackout, and similar calibers, have is they are very miserly with the powder for what you get in return. The 300 Blackout develops the same energy as the 5.56 but does it using 1/3 less powder.

I have always said it does two things really well, shoot lightweight bullets really fast and shoot really heavy bullets really slow. But I have recently began wondering if it would not make a decent longer range caliber as well. Pushing a 175 as hard as you can will extend the useable range substantially.

Life always seems to get in the way but I have had plans on building a supersonic only gun to test. It will have a ~20" barrel along with a 10 or 11 twist barrel. It will not be threaded and will NEVER fire subsonic ammunition. Just have to gather the funds for the barrel then get to machining.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
danield
Silent But Deadly

Post by danield »

I agree. Just ship it to me and I'll despose if it with all of mine.
hnemes4701

Post by hnemes4701 »

Yeah I originally bought to shoot supers and I am a little impressed with the way is functions and its ballistics. But, I'm starting to feel the need for something a little more out of it. Maybe knock the barrel down to 10 or so inches and throw a can on it.
In the midst of the apocalypse... if it moves blow its f****** head off.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Well it is the only Caliber that fits into an AR15 that was designed from the ground up that will fire heavy subs and light weight supers that will easily be applicable to a wide list of scenarios. simply by changing a magazine.

Other calibers are attempting the same thing after the fact, but the design changes make original barrels designed around, for instance the 6.8spc and the .277wolverine, unusable for the subsonic role. That does not mean that there is a single thing wrong with either of those calibers. they simply were not designed for subsonic. Other issues being that there are very few heavy grn .277 bullets. At last count I believe there were only a few .277 projectiles that were 200gr. and it is a specialty bullet. midway lists one bullet at 180grns

yet there are numerous .308 projectiles above 180 gr that have been successfully used for subs.

every production barrel for the 300blk will handle subs and supers with 1 or possible 2 changes. one being the magazine and the other for those that have an adjustable gas block. The adjustable gas block is not a requirement, but many have found it useful for fine tuning

But in truth some people simply do not see the use of it. I try to guide them, but I have found that most of those don't get it, generally do not want to get. Most of the time based upon some preconceived idea about ballistics and energy.

What other calibers do you own? this may play a part in why you don't get it.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

hnemes4701 wrote:Yeah I originally bought to shoot supers and I am a little impressed with the way is functions and its ballistics. But, I'm starting to feel the need for something a little more out of it. Maybe knock the barrel down to 10 or so inches and throw a can on it.
before you contemplate cutting your barrel down, what is your current set up?
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Most folks, after repeated shooting of this caliber, become more intelligent, sexier, healthier and have increased labido. Your mileage may vary :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.