Need advice on 2nd 300BLK SBR Build

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need advice on 2nd 300BLK SBR Build

Post by Overton-AR »

The Bravo Co. KMR rail has all the same benefits. The barrel nut does NOT have to be shimmed or aligned for the gas tube. They a superior design in simplicity and have the best mounting system I have ever seen. The way the top cross-bolts secure the rail to the nut is ingenious. I am not a fan boy, just a fan of great engineering.

Don't sweat the build....its super simple. Slip the barrel in.....torgue the simple barrel nut. Install the gas block and tube, then slide the rail over it all and follow the torque specs on the cross bolts. Super easy.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Overton-AR wrote:The Bravo Co. KMR rail has all the same benefits. The barrel nut does NOT have to be shimmed or aligned for the gas tube. They a superior design in simplicity and have the best mounting system I have ever seen. The way the top cross-bolts secure the rail to the nut is ingenious. I am not a fan boy, just a fan of great engineering.

Don't sweat the build....its super simple. Slip the barrel in.....torgue the simple barrel nut. Install the gas block and tube, then slide the rail over it all and follow the torque specs on the cross bolts. Super easy.
Okay thanks! It looks to be a pretty slim rail so I'm guessing that my SilencerCo Saker is not going to fit inside of it and I'll need to make sure whatever barrel I choose will extend to the end of the rail for mounting the brake.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Not sure of the diameter of the Saker but my SDN -6 fits inside Aero's M4E rails.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

TMD wrote:Not sure of the diameter of the Saker but my SDN -6 fits inside Aero's M4E rails.
Thanks I meant the BCM rail.

I'm thinking back on the problems I've had since choosing a billet lower for my 1st SBR build and it occurs to me that the arguments being made against the M4E are legitimate one. I think I will go with a standard upper/lower on my next build.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

So I'm poking around the BCM store and noticed that all of their uppers are currently on sale and are discounted something like 33%.

Complete 9" 300 BLK upper with 8" BCM KMR alpha hand guard plus bolt carrier and charging handle $707... that seems like a pretty good deal if the BCM barrels are any good (and it does look like they are cold hammer forged barrels... for all I know Daniels is supplying them).

Anyone have any comments?

To build a similar upper I am looking at, on the low side, about $800-$900.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alphawolf082 »

voip-1 wrote:So I'm poking around the BCM store and noticed that all of their uppers are currently on sale and are discounted something like 33%.

Complete 9" 300 BLK upper with 8" BCM KMR alpha hand guard plus bolt carrier and charging handle $707... that seems like a pretty good deal if the BCM barrels are any good (and it does look like they are cold hammer forged barrels... for all I know Daniels is supplying them).

I have a 14.5" 5.56 BCM barrel that put 3 rds of xm193 at .7" from an Eotech at 100y. I was very happy with that. I think they're good stuff based on that experience and a friend's.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

Alphawolf082 wrote:
voip-1 wrote:So I'm poking around the BCM store and noticed that all of their uppers are currently on sale and are discounted something like 33%.

I have a 14.5" 5.56 BCM barrel that put 3 rds of xm193 at .7" from an Eotech at 100y. I was very happy with that. I think they're good stuff based on that experience and a friend's.
I ordered a 12.5" 5.56 upper from them so that I can get a feel for the quality (I've always wanted a carbine in that length). I can use it with my existing SBR and eventually with the new one I'm going to build. I opted for the alpha version of the KMR since it's only 2oz heavier in that length and comes with a few extra goodies. I think including the crappy A2 flash hider but with the decent BCM BCG and charging handle it only came to $650 or so which is not bad at all.

Based on what I think of it I will be able to make the decision on ordering a complete 300BLK upper from them or building my own.
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

BlogSarge wrote:Since you like a longer handguard, get the 8" barrel and screw a suppressor onto it which will give you a 14 to 16 inch barrel+supp length. Be sure to get a handguard that fits over the suppressor.
This is exactly what I did. Running 8" barrel with a YHM suppressor and QD and have it under a Seekins Bar handguard so I have some longer length for getting my hand grip but shorter overall length. Works great!
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

68Guy wrote:
BlogSarge wrote:Since you like a longer handguard, get the 8" barrel and screw a suppressor onto it which will give you a 14 to 16 inch barrel+supp length. Be sure to get a handguard that fits over the suppressor.
This is exactly what I did. Running 8" barrel with a YHM suppressor and QD and have it under a Seekins Bar handguard so I have some longer length for getting my hand grip but shorter overall length. Works great!
I like how it ends up looking. I have an 8.5" 300 with 762-SDN-6 under a 15" Samson rail and am building an 11.5" 5.56 wityh an Omega under a 15" Seekins rail.

Probably should think about building a 6.8, too. Where does it ever end!