4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by Flatliner »

That's awesome! Guess I'm ordering some new molds soon!
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

voip-1 wrote:
rpk47 wrote:The list above is what I was remembering. Also one thing I think people forget is you can choose to have only a judge decide your case. Again this will depend on location but at least a judge is supposed to be impartial. If it is a technical case a judge shouldn't be swayed by a prosecutors grand standing saying you loaded some rounds that shoot through schools. Deadly force is deadly force what matters is I'd that force was justifiable or not.

Sorry for spelling errors, using my phone
It's just one more thing that can stack the deck against you whether you live in a liberal area of a conservative one... I'd rather not take the risk of using my 300 BLK SBR with suppressor even though it's the best tool for the job since it's just another thing a fascist liberal DA could use to make a case against me.

Here's a hypothetical example;

On my security system I see a three young men casing my house. I retrieve my rifle and contact the police and try to tell them exactly what's going on. While this is happening one of them breaks a window and tries to enter the house. I engage them and fire multiple rounds. Two of them are wounded (or missed) and run off but the 3rd one takes one in the melon and is down for the count. That one turns out to be a 13 year old african american male who looks like he is about 18. DA notes that on camera the perpetrators are "unarmed". Using the weapon I did and home loads could absolutely be used to make a case by a DA who doesn't believe in the right of self defense.

In states that allow criminal victims to sue the homeowner who shot them it could absolutely be used to make the case that the homeowner was a "gun nut looking for a fight".
I think we are in total agreement here, it is what I was getting at. It doesn't matter what scenario you put forth, at the end of the day the actions are either SD or they are not according to the laws of your state. It shouldn't matter what kind of deadly force you use, it is either justified or it is not. If someone is in a unique or unusual set of circumstances they may be better off going with only the judge deciding. At least a judge is "supposed" to be impartial and have had some training/education on how to remain so. If a DA was being a douche like you are suggesting, the judge probably would have none of it and neither should your lawyer. If under some odd set of circumstance you do use a hand load for self defense I personally find it unlikely (but not impossible) that a hand load will have much if any effect on the outcome.

That being said, as with anything involving risk assessment and avoidance, there are things you can control and there are things you can not control. You should always use everything you can control to avoid risk, and using hand loads may not hurt your case, can do nothing to help your case.
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

Seen on a facebook gun group today:

"If you want a wimpy 30 cal get a 30 carbine."