4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by rpk47 »

The list above is what I was remembering. Also one thing I think people forget is you can choose to have only a judge decide your case. Again this will depend on location but at least a judge is supposed to be impartial. If it is a technical case a judge shouldn't be swayed by a prosecutors grand standing saying you loaded some rounds that shoot through schools. Deadly force is deadly force what matters is I'd that force was justifiable or not.

Sorry for spelling errors, using my phone
afshirt
Silent But Deadly

Post by afshirt »

Badfinger wrote:
plant.one wrote:my ccw instructor suggested that one of the best tactics if you have to shoot a bad guy was to "button the shirt". or try to shoot the buttons off the shirt if you will.

start at the belt buckle (pelvis shot - instant mobility remover and two of the largest blood passageways in the body pass through the pelvis area) and work your way up the centerline
two main reasons
a) it allows the bullets to still have someplace to impact as the body is collapsing due to a hit if the pelvic shot does connect properly
b) if one hit doesn't take them down, you've still got lots of room to work with as the muzzle of the gun naturally rises due to recoil.
Wise instructor, must be a student of Massad Ayoob, he teaches something very similar.
Almost all instructors use some version of this. My company teaches the spinal cord or nuts to noggin if you will. We use an anatomically correct target and teach to keep shooting until hits are on the spinal column. We do a different version of the Mozambique. In a true Mozambique there is no pause between chest and head shots. We teach to point shoot to the chest since in the initial encounter you will probably not use your sights and then assess and move to th head or pelvis if there is a failure to stop. There are multiple ways to do anything and the only ones to stay away from are the ones who say my way is the best and everything else sucks
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA pistol, rifle, shotgun, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Full time instructor with Florida Firearms Training
RockyRiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by RockyRiver »

Well now, here in rural Orygun that sort of nonsense don't happen. A good shoot is a good shoot. Anyone who chooses to live in New Jersey pretty much deserves whats coming to him.
voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by voip-1 »

rpk47 wrote:The list above is what I was remembering. Also one thing I think people forget is you can choose to have only a judge decide your case. Again this will depend on location but at least a judge is supposed to be impartial. If it is a technical case a judge shouldn't be swayed by a prosecutors grand standing saying you loaded some rounds that shoot through schools. Deadly force is deadly force what matters is I'd that force was justifiable or not.

Sorry for spelling errors, using my phone
It's just one more thing that can stack the deck against you whether you live in a liberal area of a conservative one... I'd rather not take the risk of using my 300 BLK SBR with suppressor even though it's the best tool for the job since it's just another thing a fascist liberal DA could use to make a case against me.

Here's a hypothetical example;

On my security system I see a three young men casing my house. I retrieve my rifle and contact the police and try to tell them exactly what's going on. While this is happening one of them breaks a window and tries to enter the house. I engage them and fire multiple rounds. Two of them are wounded (or missed) and run off but the 3rd one takes one in the melon and is down for the count. That one turns out to be a 13 year old african american male who looks like he is about 18. DA notes that on camera the perpetrators are "unarmed". Using the weapon I did and home loads could absolutely be used to make a case by a DA who doesn't believe in the right of self defense.

In states that allow criminal victims to sue the homeowner who shot them it could absolutely be used to make the case that the homeowner was a "gun nut looking for a fight".
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

gds wrote:I can give the author a list of expanding subsonic capable 30 cal bullets that do tremendous damage.
I am totally new to the 300 and would love to see that list.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Flatliner wrote:
gds wrote:I can give the author a list of expanding subsonic capable 30 cal bullets that do tremendous damage.
Lehigh defense has several copper bullets
Outlaw state a lot of lead core jacketed bullets
My personal favorite is a cast Hollow point.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

gds wrote:
Flatliner wrote:
Lehigh defense has several copper bullets
Outlaw state a lot of lead core jacketed bullets
My personal favorite is a cast Hollow point.
Are you able to run the cast hollow point in an AR platform. My first blackout is a 10.5" AR running an Omega.

If so, can I ask what mold you use and do you have any pictures of fired projectiles?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Yes I run it in AR15s, 16 inch and a 8.5 inch

I use the NOE 247gr and the forster Hollow point jig to drill a 1/8 by 1/2 deep hollow point. NOE however makes them with a hollow point pin that is deeper.

here is some experimenting I did with a deeper cast hollow point in a modified LEE 230gr. unfortunately I damaged that mold and have not gotten a new one

Image.

this is what the 247 did to a 9 point buck

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86301
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Flatliner wrote:
GDS is our resident expert on sub-sonic hunting. You might do a search of his hunting posts. LOTS of great stuff!!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

On self defense - I like my sheriff and DAs. These two punks needed backing down, and they got it. One lost his....ah...unit, in the shooting. Deputies had to recover the.....appendage for delivery to see about reattachment.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... RfZKU0vGYg
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.