4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

svh
Silent But Deadly

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by svh »

RDA wrote:..... Everyone knows that a 9mm semi-auto pistol is the best self defense gun...

(I do believe that but also know many that don't...just proving my point).
.45 ..... Just sayin .... 8)
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

svh wrote:
RDA wrote:..... Everyone knows that a 9mm semi-auto pistol is the best self defense gun...

Exactly. 8)
Larry B
Silent But Deadly

Post by Larry B »

Well if you're going .45 you might as well go 45-70. That will stop them their buddy and their car with one shot. My plunking load is 55gr of 3031 with a 405gr hardcast bullet in a 14" contender. Now that's a HD handgun. LOL
Maybe I can write an artice about why it is better than the 300BLK for HD. :lol: :roll:
Harlequin1138
Silent Operator

Post by Harlequin1138 »

RDA wrote:
svh wrote:

Exactly. 8)
Why use a .45? Because they don't make a .46 and a policeman is too heavy to carry on your hip. And my classic sig line below lol.
.45 because shooting twice is just silly.
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

RDA wrote:
svh wrote:

Exactly. 8)
Full length Kimber TLE .45 rail with a Surefire light and Ranger Talon ammo is what is sitting in my gun safe next to the bed. Yep it only holds 8 rounds but I am not planning missing the first second or third bad guy plus, my L-III vest next to the bed has the spare mag so all good.
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
jryock
Silent But Deadly

Post by jryock »

I'll take a 9-inch barreled 300BLK AR loaded with Barnes VOR-TX over just about anything when it comes to HD. My second choice would be a G19 loaded with Federal HSTs, which is on or around me all day.

My four reasons the 9-inch 300BLK rifle with supersonics is a great choice for HD:
(1) Handling/Maneuvering. The rifle is about MORE compact than a pistol when in a standard firing stance. The rifle is MORE stabile than the rifles due to double to points of contact that are farther apart.
(2) Capacity. The standard capacity is 30rds for the rifle. Also, Surefire and Magpul offer additional capacities in box mags that are reliable. I like to use two standard mags clipped together in case of a mag failure.
(3) Terminal Ballistics. IMHO, the Barnes VOR-TX loads are far superior to anything that a pistol round or 5.56mm round can offer. Come on... it's a reliably expanding AK round! Only cheerleaders should rely on tumbling to win a "battle".
(4) Usability. Everything is physically attached to the rifle without having to gather anything else. Just grab it and go without having to don extra stuff when time is crucial.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I still do not own a .45 anymore but all this talk is making me want the FNX .45 tactical even more! In the mean time maybe this will hold off a terd who comes in uninvited.
Ruger Vaquero (orginal) .44 mag 7 1/2" barrel.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

I'm planning my gal's new 300 for her primary HDW (with the Lehigh subsonic bullet, limked below) along with her Glock 23. Right now she uses her 5.56 AR I built for her, but the blast, whew!

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collection ... 1073765220

I use an 18 inch Mossberg 500 stoked with 12 pellet 00 S&B buck in the mag, 15 pellet 00 Federal magnum in the chamber, SIG 556R just in case, and Glock 21 and my 10MM witness for answering the door (after viewing who it is. I won't open unless I know you) I have 2 sets of hearing protection on the top of my bedroom door

My Rotties help, too although I only have one right now

As long as you have at least a major caliber handgun, tactics are the most important issue
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

I think the topic is loaded to begin with. Who is to decide what works best for my situation when they know nothing of my home? Because of the layout of my home, shotguns and long rifles are completely out of the question; just not enough space in the corridors to maneuver, so the good ol' faithful Walther P99 with Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty is the go to gun. I would use that for the middle of the night break-in thief/murderer/rapist that is unfortunate enough to choose my home. If it's a riot happening outside, I'm tossing my wife the AR with the can and I'm taking the loud one and what has to be done will get done outside. As for caliber, with proper self defense ammunition, it really doesn't matter what you get hit with; let's not forget there is a hot projectile ripping through flesh. A proper defense 9mm round will expand to a little over half of an inch in diameter and pulverize vital organs with hydrostatic shock. Regardless of the caliber, I just prefer to not get shot to begin with. I suppose the only problem is that 9mm only kills your body... I'm told .45 will kill your soul...

In regards to body armor, if there are people wearing body armor breaking into your home, I have a feeling it's not the average criminal and you might have secrets that have led to that situation. Albeit, if I encounter anyone with body armor, I won't know it until I clear the weapon away from the dirt bag's body after I've done my well practiced defensive shot pattern of choice: A Mozambique drill. Two to the chest, one to the head.

I've only had to draw my firearm once on someone that got into my home and I can guarantee I wasn't thinking about what caliber I had or if the AR was a better option because the internet said so. When I woke up to someone opening my front door, I threw my glasses on and grabbed the closest weapon I had (which is there for a reason). It's the gun I train with regularly and can manipulate with 100% confidence. That gun we have sitting there for a reason is the gun we trust our lives with, and it will always be the best weapon for you, regardless of caliber or size, and no one else can tell you otherwise.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

thisguysguns wrote:I think the topic is loaded to begin with. Who is to decide what works best for my situation when they know nothing of my home? Because of the layout of my home, shotguns and long rifles are completely out of the question; just not enough space in the corridors to maneuver, so the good ol' faithful Walther P99 with Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty is the go to gun. I would use that for the middle of the night break-in thief/murderer/rapist that is unfortunate enough to choose my home. If it's a riot happening outside, I'm tossing my wife the AR with the can and I'm taking the loud one and what has to be done will get done outside. As for caliber, with proper self defense ammunition, it really doesn't matter what you get hit with; let's not forget there is a hot projectile ripping through flesh. A proper defense 9mm round will expand to a little over half of an inch in diameter and pulverize vital organs with hydrostatic shock. Regardless of the caliber, I just prefer to not get shot to begin with. I suppose the only problem is that 9mm only kills your body... I'm told .45 will kill your soul...

In regards to body armor, if there are people wearing body armor breaking into your home, I have a feeling it's not the average criminal and you might have secrets that have led to that situation. Albeit, if I encounter anyone with body armor, I won't know it until I clear the weapon away from the dirt bag's body after I've done my well practiced defensive shot pattern of choice: A Mozambique drill. Two to the chest, one to the head.

I've only had to draw my firearm once on someone that got into my home and I can guarantee I wasn't thinking about what caliber I had or if the AR was a better option because the internet said so. When I woke up to someone opening my front door, I threw my glasses on and grabbed the closest weapon I had (which is there for a reason). It's the gun I train with regularly and can manipulate with 100% confidence. That gun we have sitting there for a reason is the gun we trust our lives with, and it will always be the best weapon for you, regardless of caliber or size, and no one else can tell you otherwise.
Alot to to be learned in this - If someone is in your home you shoot them with what you have - alot. I built my house, was my own contractor, and tried to do it with a tactical eye. I'm southern, I like the street howitzer, short barreled and full stocked. I will beat you, in my house, no matter what you have. I will shoot you until you lay crying and begging for me not to hurt you anymore and then I'll kick your head. I like an sbr for team work, the wife has my back with that if they are running down the driveway. You forum lawyers take a break here and keep it to yourself - I am protecting my house.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.