Optics - What are you using ?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gdirty5

Re: Optics - What are you using ?

Post by gdirty5 »

I'm running a Trijicon rmr on an adm mount for my 8.2 inch noveske

My 9 inch AAC is running an aim point pro
powder monkey

Post by powder monkey »

leupold 1.75-6 x 34mm, heavy duplex
american defense mount
brian1570
Silent Operator

Post by brian1570 »

i lyke pictars!!! :mrgreen:

8" pistol wears a vortex sparc ii. mainly because it was affordable, light weight, and made by vortex. the dot can become slightly starburst but it's not bad. glass is very clear and it's very fast on target.

18" .223 wylde wears a vortex pst 1-4x24. great scope, love the flexibility, love the reticle. going to be switching to a QD mount so i can use on multiple platforms.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

I run a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm 30mm M3 FFP TMR
This optic is on A.R.M.S. throw lever mounts so that it can be moved between different uppers.
There are calibrated M3 BDC turrets for every cartridge that I run.

I was initially concerned that it would be too much magnification and the M3 turrets would be too gross of an adjustment, but after running it for five years, it has worked out very well.
My only complaint is that I run out of ellevation for subsonic 300 BLK loads.
That could be easilly solved with a 20 MOA mount, but I'm not wanting to switch from A.R.M.S. throw lever rings.
(One of my next projects is to build my own 20 MOA base out of an A.R.M.S.® #35™QD Throw Lever® Mount and A.R.M.S.® #35™ Med. Rings by machining in 20 MOA worth of cant into the ring bases.)
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Nikon M300 BLK on a Bobro mount. Here's what I posted on another forum the day that I bought it:
Had time before work today, so I swung by Cabelas, intending to buy another box of 300 supers so I will have enough to zero my irons when the rest of my stuff arrives. I decided to wander past the optics to see if they had any of the Blackout specific ones to look at, so I would have some clue about the choices besides just reading descriptions and reviews online. Was definitely NOT planning to buy one today, or anytime soon for that matter. Came upon the Nikon scopes with the 300 specific reticle with marks for both subs and supers. They make a 2x7 cheapie for $200, and two versions of a nicer 1.5-6 power with a 30mm tube, and the same reticle. The first goes for $700, while an additional $200 on top gets you that scope with an illuminated reticle.
Cabelas had the 2x7 and the non illuminated 1.5-6x M-300 on display.

For starters, I'm not going to spend either $700 or $900 on either of the nicer units, when I can get into a relatively nice Leupold for less, but I asked to look through both of them anyway. When I was done, the lady at the counter asked if I would like to buy either of them, and I said not right now, I'm just looking at options and besides, I don't even have my rifle yet. Looked at the prices as she put them away, and did a bit of a double take.... The nicer M-300 BLK 1.5-6x was on sale, for the same $199.99 as the cheaper scope. I was not really ready to buy an optic today, but I also wasn't able to walk away from a $700 scope marked down to $200. They had at least one in back, too, so I didn't get stuck with the display unit.
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

Starting out.. Bushnell TRS 25

Later, thermal all the way. Right now I'm building a castle, literally and funds are tight
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership
lawboy
Silent Operator

Post by lawboy »

On my 16-inch carbine, PA 1-6x24 ACSS in Warne mount.
On 8.5-inch pistol, PA micro rds and Hi-Lux CMR 7.62 1-4x24 in Warne Mount.
Remington/AAC Micro 7, Weaver V3 1-3x20 in Burris steel rings.
Last edited by lawboy on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

Vortex pst 1-4 during hunting season and a T1 in the off season.
chopperbobby

Post by chopperbobby »

eotech
PoliceMark
Silent But Deadly

Post by PoliceMark »

Currently I have an Aimpoint T1. I'm selling it (See Classifieds) and switching back to an Eotech. The reason for me is I personally am faster on target with the Eotech and feel that the Eotech provides a cleaner sight picture. I know the T1 gets rave reviews and I haven't had any problems with mine. But for me, I prefer the Eotech. I think your optic is HIGHLY subjective and I think your best option is test several and see what works for you. I've switched optics several times and keep coming back to the Eotech. Battery life kinda sucks compared to Aimpoint but I'm in Houston not Afghanistan. I have spare batteries on my rifle. I like Eotechs huge field of View. I do not intend to let anyone blow up my rifle or run it over with a truck. My rifle mostly stays in the safe and occasionally goes to the range or training. I do not abuse my rifle. If I was deployed someplace horrible I'd stay with the Aimpoint. But I'm not. If my Eotech breaks, I'll buy another.
Speed. Surprise. Violence of Action.