Rig Mounted Y Sling. Thoughts?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

PoliceMark
Silent But Deadly

Rig Mounted Y Sling. Thoughts?

Post by PoliceMark »

I tried another post with a sling question and it failed dismally. Trying one more time and then I'll assume that not many people are familiar with or use this set up.

Is anyone familure with a Rig Mounted "Y" Sling ? Thoughts?

For those unfamiliar it is a Sling that attaches to your plate carrier or load bearing vest with an attachment point on each shoulder in order to spread out the weight of the rifle. The Shoulder Straps then meet at at single point, then a single point connects to the rifle. The sling looks like a "Y".

I have ran a Rig Mounted Sling that attached to a single shoulder before and liked it. I think the "Y" Sling might offer some benefits in spread loading the weight and causing the rifle to hang front and center, high, during weapon transition.

This will be used strictly for high risk ops when I have cause to wear my rig. Not daily use. It will be used in and out of vehicles, buildings, etc.

http://215gearstore.com/scorpion2integr ... ackle.aspx

Thoughts?
Speed. Surprise. Violence of Action.
svh
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rig Mounted Y Sling. Thoughts?

Post by svh »

I did see that sling, or very similar, on a Cinemax series called Strike Back, a SAS spec ops show. Very action packed series ....

But anyway, I did think of your first post when I saw one of the guys wearing one. It looked like it worked pretty good, cause they kicked everybody's ass !!!

I don't have any personal experience though, sorry.
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
PoliceMark
Silent But Deadly

Post by PoliceMark »

Lol. So it ranks high on the tacticool scale. Good to know. I am pretty set on this setup. For my purpose I think it will fit the bill. I am not humping in the desert where I would need to roll the rifle to the rear. Just in and out of vehicles and I might need to transition to pistol. I also want to be able to snap in and out of the rifle for pre and post briefings. This setup seems to facilitate that with a cobra buckle. My link references a slightly different model than the one I have in mind. My question is aimed at anyone who has lived with this setup and recommendations on its strength and weaknesses. Good to know Hollywood approves though.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

No experience with a setup that links to TWO points on rig, but i think it could work quite well, as long as you wouldn't need to "sling" the weapon over your shoulder during the evolution (then the opposing side link could cause a bit of strangulation)...i like the single-point rig attachment, i always felt it kept my weapon very close to my ready position, but still allowed me to run my strong-side arm UNDER it if both hands were needed for something else temporarily...one note: i had to link my rig to my belt as well when using this attachment, as opposed to free-hanging it, because of my thinner stature -- the extra weight of weapon on the plate-carrier would begin pulling down the front badly otherwise...
Interesting idea tho, i just never saw a 2-point rig-attached setup in practice...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
PoliceMark
Silent But Deadly

Post by PoliceMark »

Ok. Thanks. Yes, I will not have the ability to "Sling" the rifle other than to just let it hang. I anticipate this set up is really designed for hands on the rifle 99% of the time. The sling attaches to molle loops on the back panel then the sling feeds over the shoulder thru your shoulder pads. I'm thinking this will also help support the weight of the rifle. My actual rig is pretty light. Lightweight Ceramic and Polyethylene composite plates. It has a cumberbun which might add support so I don't know if it will sag when I let rifle hang. The idea is that will not be often. I'll normally be hand on.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

The cumber should help, also depends on your build...i have pretty thin frame, thicker would prob keep everything from shifting as much...if you get it, tell me how you like it...
PoliceMark
Silent But Deadly

Post by PoliceMark »

It arrives tomorrow. I'm 6'00" 245. Pretty thick. I'm a little concerned that the plates are very light. That was the purpose of this rig. Lightweight rifle protection. I'm hoping my rifle doesn't weight it down too much. 10.5" gun but it's robust. I'll report back tomorrow. The carrier is a Banshee.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Ya, you're thicker than me by a good margin...i'm 6'1" and 185lbs...i think it will do fine for ya, as long as you aren't capering around with a SAW or anything overly heavy...lol
Oh, and i got friends that use the Banshee setup with very good reviews.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Well, you've already ordered, but I'll throw my $.02 in: I like the concept of Carrier mounting to some degree, but I dislike it in other ways. The main point I don't like about the proposed set-up is that it will hang similarly to a single-point sling set-up. I hate that. Rifle bangs into my knees, gonads, flips-around so it's not oriented the way I expect/want when go to grab it back up... I am not a fan...

I keep my 10.3" AR on a 2-point, slung so it hangs in front with butt oriented towards shooting shoulder. It stays muzzle off-set towards offhand side. I can quickly sling it over my back to move in and cuff (or use other weapons). It doesn't bounce and flop around.

Specifically in terms of the chest rig, I like how I can carry the rifle whether wearing my "up-armor" rig or just over uniform and soft armor. (The system you're getting locks you into the plate carrier, unless you get extra buckles for the epaulettes on your uniform shirt. -- That would work... Hmm...). When wearing the plate carrier, the sling doesn't bother me, at least for weight of gun. Positioning can. I hate it when the sling comes inside the neck-hole...
PoliceMark
Silent But Deadly

Post by PoliceMark »

Okay, I got it. LIKE IT ! First off the sling is from 215 Gear. It is the Scorpion II with the Cobra buckle. This sling is sold with some kind of 550 cord attachment for the rifle. I requested they change the connection to an HK hook and they did AND shipped the same day. GREAT customer service from these folks. The sling distributes the rifles weight VERY well and can be set up short enough to keep rifle high so it doesn't dangle near your legs or nuts. The bungee section offers juuuuust the right amount of resistance. On me, it doesn't pull down the front panel at all. On my carrier I've got a med bag and radio up front. Two spare mags in kangaroo pouch. The rifle rests on the med bag.

For tactical movement and weapons transition - Awesome! For climbing or handcuffing..... well, that might be a problem. I like it though. Good kit.