Rig Mounted Y Sling. Thoughts?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

voip-1
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Rig Mounted Y Sling. Thoughts?

Post by voip-1 »

I'll throw my .02 into the ring as well. This sling looks like a solution in search of a problem. I'm personally not a big fan of single point slings. I find that they have a lot of limitations compared to two point slings and all of the instructors I've had have actually made a point of showing different weapon handling techniques and why they personally prefer traditional slings. When I had less education I liked single point or convertible slings because they seemed far "better" than old fashioned slings.

I was wrong about all of that.

If I was a contractor who was going to kit up with a chest rig all the time then maybe this thing would be worth it. As it is I have regular slings on all of my combat oriented firearms. It is easy to grab that weapon and put the sling over my shoulder immediately with no fuss, regardless of what I am wearing. Similarly if I throw a carbine in the back of the car and then need to extract in a hurry I can do it without having to think about how I'm going to get that weapon secured quickly.

The sling I currently like the best are the Blue Force Gear two point slings. Those slings are outstanding since you can easily get them adjusted very tight to the body for proper handling and you can loosen them fast for transitioning from strong to weak side shooting, slinging over your shoulder, fitting after putting on a vest, etc.
PoliceMark
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rig Mounted Y Sling. Thoughts?

Post by PoliceMark »

Your .02 noted. Thank you for your input. I also have a two point sling. The two point sling resides on the rifle. This new wonder sling would only be used when "kit'ed" up. I probably just need to go to the range and experiment. I am a former Marine and a 20 year veteran Officer. I'm also a Firearms instructor. Please note that does NOT imply I am some kind of know it all. I'm certainly not. I only mention it because I'm not a newb. I've ran a single point, single side sling before on take downs and liked it. But I don't do that high speed stuff often and have no experience with this particular set up. I guess I WANT this thing to work because it was FREAKING expensive! I suppose trying it on in my living room is insufficient experience to draw a conclusion. Fair enough. I'll run it at the range and see. Thanks for the perspective.
Speed. Surprise. Violence of Action.