Can't justify 300 BO

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

md80captain

Can't justify 300 BO

Post by md80captain »

I started my 300 BO project back before ATFs latest ruling on the Sig Brace. In the former ruling a sig brace equipped "pistol" was in effect an SBR without the need for the paperwork. 300 BO seemed ideal as it performs well in short barrels (better than 5.56). With ATFs recent ruling, I decided to get rid of the SIG brace. I am even concerned about having any rifle based pistol (especially one with a buffer tube) as in the event that the tube ever touches my shoulder, that would instantly convert the pistol into a SBR.
I am not interested in registering an SBR or a suppressor so now I see little use for 300 BO.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can't justify 300 BO

Post by gds »

I am sorry, what exactly are you looking for in response?
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
NannySlayer
Silent Operator

Post by NannySlayer »

Not sure the sig brace was really designed to step around the NFA. 300 blk out was designed to be run through a can. If you were not planning on getting one why bother with the round? 5.56 runs fine out of a short barrel.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Okay then.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Post by takiniteasy88 »

You need to fight the man "BLACK POWER"
kroeker
Silent But Deadly

Post by kroeker »

Why not just permanently attach the can and then its a rifle. Pretty easy to blind pin one to a barrel and a decent form one can can be made relatively cheap with minimal skills or knowledge.
md80captain

Post by md80captain »

kroeker wrote:Why not just permanently attach the can and then its a rifle. Pretty easy to blind pin one to a barrel and a decent form one can can be made relatively cheap with minimal skills or knowledge.
Yes there is plenty of justification for this round when running suppressed or in an SBR, however, going form 1 and all that BS is something I'd prefer not doing. I was pretty stoked with that first ATF letter that state essentially "misuse of the device does not make it illegal" or something like that regarding the SIG brace. I fully intended to misuse the device as long as I couldn't get busted for it.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

So, does that mean you have a barrel for sale, cheap?
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

md80captain wrote: Yes there is plenty of justification for this round when running suppressed or in an SBR, however, going form 1 and all that BS is something I'd prefer not doing. I was pretty stoked with that first ATF letter that state essentially "misuse of the device does not make it illegal" or something like that regarding the SIG brace. I fully intended to misuse the device as long as I couldn't get busted for it.
The ATF's original opinion letter said 'temporary' misuse is not a violation. You, and hundreds of others took 'temporary' to mean 'all the time', and then thumbed their nose at the ATF by posting YouTube Videos SHOWING that you were thumbing your nose at the ATF. And you wonder why they decided to change their stance.

IMHO, it is acts and beliefs such as this that provide the anti-gun crowd any and all fodder, regardless of whether it has a basis or not, regardless of whether the law(s) make sense or not.

I, for one, will not sympathize with you or anyone else who purchased the SigArm Brace to purposely and proactively violate the law. If I speed and get pulled over for speeding, my argument is NOT 'I don't like the law'.... By the same token, if you actually OCCASIONALLY shouldered it (eg, as a pistol in a defensive situation), then I'll stand 100% behind you and guarantee if I am on your jury, I will 110% say 'Not Guilty'.

At the same time, I applaud and endorse 100% the actions of Sig Arms to bring these issues to light (such as making a 10" muzzle brake that could be covered such that it was a suppressor).

You've had your rant, and now I've had mine. Use the 300 BO or not, it's your call. It is still effective and efficient out of a 16" barrel without a suppressor.

Good day!
keith13b
Senior Silent Operator

Post by keith13b »

Sorry you are upset at he issues of the pistol brace. Either slap on a stock and 16" barrel, or sell your setup. If you were not intending on suppressing it, don't blame the cartridge. If you had a 5.56 with a sig brace you would be in the same boat.

BTW, making a trust to Form 1 the receiver is very easy. Using a suppressor will definitely put a smile on your face and change your attitude. The 300 BLK is definitely a magnet for the NFA stamps.

Good luck with what you decide to do!