Cheapest Self Defense/Hunting 300blk Ammo

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cheapest Self Defense/Hunting 300blk Ammo

Post by trenttyre »

dellet wrote:
trenttyre wrote:
dellet wrote:This will take care of your hunting, either the 110's or the 125 ballistic tips.

If it was what I had and needed I would not hesitate to use either on a two legged problem. Just watch your backstop.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/ammuniti ... tridge=231
The best I have seen is the Lehigh Defense 300 Subsonic 194gr

But do those preform well? Only the ballistic tip?
All Lehigh bullets perform well very few perform better. But you will not find them anywhere near .90 a round.
obviously. But i mean do the 110's or 125's listed above preform well when compared to the top end i.e. lehigh
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Apples and oranges.

The Lehigh's are designed for the Blackout, the Nosler's will work. Lots of deer taken with the ballistic tips. Read through the hunting section, plenty of good advice and photos.

Here are the Lehigh's in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDym4GXrPRw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GyOsWuYPV0

For the Lehigh's and Barnes your talking $25-30 a box. $10 well spent.

I think the Remington Hog hammer has been on sale a few places on line for $22 a box.

There are plenty of options for a buck and a quarter. Beats the hell out of a failed recovery of an animal, or a failed defensive experience.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Supers with blacktip, sst or bt, and any varmint round are preferable in a HD situation. Are you really worried about your hearing in that scenario? Subs are completely covered in the posts above. If fired unsupressed, they will ring your bell as well. Any round that begins to fragment upon hitting a hard object will go less distance through your home than a 220 smk subsonic, which will pencil through the lentgh of 18 " of wetpack. Buckshot will penetrate through several walls. a 9mm will go through a fridge. Pick your round for your home and make sure none of the loved ones are down range.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
orbitup
Silent But Deadly

Post by orbitup »

dellet wrote:
orbitup wrote:
I bought some of those blems and shot them last weekend. At first I thought they might be blems because the annealing looked bad. I found the real reason when I went to process the brass.

Still usable, they just needed a trim.
What do the primers look like?
What were you shooting this rout of?

That looks like pretty high pressure to get a neck to stretch that far.
My ignorance is showing but I assumed they were that way before I fired them. I just measured another box and they are fine.

They were fired in my new Hardened Arms 8 1/4" AR. The primers looked fine. There were some minor extractor marks on some.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

orbitup wrote:
dellet wrote:
orbitup wrote:
I bought some of those blems and shot them last weekend. At first I thought they might be blems because the annealing looked bad. I found the real reason when I went to process the brass.

Still usable, they just needed a trim.
What do the primers look like?
What were you shooting this rout of?

That looks like pretty high pressure to get a neck to stretch that far.
My ignorance is showing but I assumed they were that way before I fired them. I just measured another box and they are fine.

They were fired in my new Hardened Arms 8 1/4" AR. The primers looked fine. There were some minor extractor marks on some.
Please post a pic of the primers, that is a sign of very high pressure. If you have calipers measure the base of a fired and unfired round, see how much they grew expanded.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
orbitup
Silent But Deadly

Post by orbitup »

dellet wrote:Please post a pic of the primers, that is a sign of very high pressure. If you have calipers measure the base of a fired and unfired round, see how much they grew expanded.

I wasn't trying to hijack this thread, sorry.

I've already processed the brass and now I don't want to shoot the other 4 boxes I have.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Then start another thread and post pics that dellet requested. You have some issues and we are trying to help.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
avant4me
Silent Operator

Post by avant4me »

Dang...I bought a crap ton of those Nosler 110gr blems on sale from shooters pro shop. Hopefully they don't do the same stretching or have excessive pressure.

I'll report my findings as well
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

and this kids is why i love varmageddons that I load in brass I made with powder I measure and primers I seat . nobody running a machine digging their shorts out of their crack and a booger hook up their nose . I am the best q.c. guy I know for my needs .
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

I ran across a local place selling Jamison 150 grain spoft point boatails (I think they're Sierras) for $16 a box. That's about the cheapest off the shelf expanding super I've personally seen. My Mini likes them & overall they seem to be very high quality.
WTB: exotic ammo! AP, tracers, etc. Money waiting, whatcha got?