Are Lancer magazine springs better than PMag?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Are Lancer magazine springs better than PMag?

Post by 68Guy »

I have a number of PMAG's for my 5.56 and I was sharing them for my 300BLK also. I find that when I load up the PMAG with 28 rounds of 200gr subs, I get unreliable feeding because the springs aren't really made for that extra weight. Been reading on this board for some time that members find better reliability with Lancer L5AWM mags but more because of the ribs. So two questions:

1- are the springs in the Lancer any better than the PMAG?
2- are there any issues with leaving Lancer's loaded as they don't have a cover like the PMAG to take the pressure off the lip?

Worth replacing my stock of PMags for Lancers? Well just the ones for my 300BLK anyways.
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Re: Are Lancer magazine springs better than PMag?

Post by Nic56 »

I don't think you cold hurt the steel feed lips leaving ammo stored in them. The design is just too robust for that to be an issue. I have read from several sources stating that long term storage with the Lancers was fine.

I have no idea about the spring. It wouldn't surprise me if both companies buy their springs from the same place.
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
LittleGun

Post by LittleGun »

I used to be a Pmag fan before I used Lancer.

I leave all of my magazines loaded, all of the time, including Lancers. I have not experienced any problems. I prefer Lancer over Pmag. I would gladly trade all of my Pmags for Lancers.

Interestingly, Lancers work well with the 458 Socom round, where Pmags do not work without modification. Smoke Lancers are my favorite.

I don't know about the springs, but I haven't had a failure with my Lancer magazines.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

I think your gonna be hard pressed to get a spring comparison between the Pmag and the L5. The stats on the spring specs are not posted anywhere I know of. You might be able to get some info on tensile strength and stuff like that directly from the manufacturer. I doubt Magpul or Lancer actually make their own springs. They are probably made in China in the same factory. :lol: I just like the L5 better cause my personal experience is they feed more reliable in the blk out.
klm109
Senior Silent Operator

Post by klm109 »

Cannot answer your questions ,but these are a solution when in stock.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... black.html
afshirt
Silent But Deadly

Post by afshirt »

I have 9 of those D&H blackout mags. They work beautifully with the heavy sub rounds. I can load 30 of the leatherhead cast 240g subs in it and fire all 30 rounds rounds easily.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA pistol, rifle, shotgun, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Full time instructor with Florida Firearms Training