Lapua 200 gr Subsonic Bullets - Comments?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

AccuracyARs
Silent Operator

Lapua 200 gr Subsonic Bullets - Comments?

Post by AccuracyARs »

Anyone try the Lapua 200 gr subsonic bullets in the 300 BLK? The part # is Lapua #: LU4PL7060. They're a bit pricey, $44.99/box from Grafs, but that's close to what Sierra 220's are running.

I am curious as to any comments people have about those bullets.

Robert
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lapua 200 gr Subsonic Bullets - Comments?

Post by rebel »

I have been loading these for a long time. Before I got some SMK's this was all I could find. I shot these in my carbine in front of 10.8 gr of 1680. They are wonderfully accurate. You need to load them short as the bullet profile is not optimum for feeding. My rifle cycled them great. I originally started at 10.7 which worked as well, but found 10.8 worked even better for accuracy. viewtopic.php?f=141&t=84758
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

They are not really a good nose shape for 300 BLK AR mags. They would be very good for single shot / bolt action rifles.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Never had a malfunction and I've shot about 500 or so. Load them to 1.98 coal like it says on the aac website and the work just fine out of a GImag. My gun has regular m4 style feed ramps. I use a 11.25" spring and a spikes t2 buffer if that makes a difference.
AccuracyARs
Silent Operator

Post by AccuracyARs »

300Blk wrote:They are not really a good nose shape for 300 BLK AR mags. They would be very good for single shot / bolt action rifles.

Is it that the width in the front creates an issue with the front ribs in a standard AR-15 223/5.56 magazine?

If so, are they're o.k. with something like the modified Lancer mags, just not that standard AR-15 mags?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I shot them from a G I mag with no issues.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

They are designed from the ground up as a subsonic projectile.
Many really cool design features such as a rebated boat tail and recesses in the jacket to lower bore friction.
Incredibly accurate, but they were designed with 308 Win in mind, not 300 BLK.
That being said, they shoot well in a 300 BLK AR platform.

The issue of them not being optimal for an AR is that they need to be seated deep in order to have the OGive contact the magazine rib.
This allows for a significant space between the tip of the bullet and the front of the magazine.
The reason this is an issue is that if the magazine / rifle with magazine inserted, is handled roughly, the cartridges can shift in the magazine.
This creates a situation in which a failure to feed stoppage is likely.
(The risk of this goes up as fewer rounds remain in the magazine and the spring tension is lessened.)

For near 100% reliable feeding in an AR, the Rem 220 Subsonic or Lehigh Defense Subsonic offerings are optimal.
The 220 SMKs or other HPBT projectiles with similar profiles work very well, but still have a slight risk of a FTF stoppage when handled rough.

It would be really cool if Lapua came out with a 300 BLK specific version of this bullet.
That is not likely unless a large military contract were to request such a thing.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
AccuracyARs
Silent Operator

Post by AccuracyARs »

rebel wrote:I shot them from a G I mag with no issues.

I assume the variances in opinions on potential feeding issues relates to what people use as an OAL with this bullet.

For the 300 BLK I tend to like the 7.62x40 WT mags that Wilson Combat sells (i.e. modified Lancer mags - - they sell them for around $22 or $23). Those magazines seem to eliminate the whole front ribs issue altogether - - stick just about any 300 BLK cartridge in there loaded to an OAL of 2.240" or shorter and you're good to go.

For the subsonic loads I have become real fond of using H4198 because it seems to burn real clean. A longer OAL (i.e. out to 2.240") allows enough room, with many of the bigger bullets, to use H4198 for subs.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

AccuracyARs wrote:
rebel wrote:I shot them from a G I mag with no issues.

I assume the variances in opinions on potential feeding issues relates to what people use as an OAL with this bullet.

For the 300 BLK I tend to like the 7.62x40 WT mags that Wilson Combat sells (i.e. modified Lancer mags - - they sell them for around $22 or $23). Those magazines seem to eliminate the whole front ribs issue altogether - - stick just about any 300 BLK cartridge in there loaded to an OAL of 2.240" or shorter and you're good to go.

For the subsonic loads I have become real fond of using H4198 because it seems to burn real clean. A longer OAL (i.e. out to 2.240") allows enough room, with many of the bigger bullets, to use H4198 for subs.
With an OAL of 1.98, you shouldn't have any issues. Never tried the 40 mags. The bullet's shape is rather prohibitive as said previously. Still, if you get some, you will smile at the groups you get.
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

I have tried them on flesh...they sail through and out the other side like a laser beam. Act like monoliths and do not deform.

Great for paper, useless on flesh.