Barrel Length Question Hunting with Suppressed SBR

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

apcalls

Barrel Length Question Hunting with Suppressed SBR

Post by apcalls »

First post, been lurking for a while.

Looking for barrel length recommendations for a suppressed sbr build. The weapon will be used as a 100 yard coyote & hog rig. My areas of concern is accuracy (100yrds) and reliable feeding while shooting suppressed. My particulars:

-99 % shots 50 - 125 yards using vortex sparc or eotech
-100 percent suppressed shooting using sub sonic
-gas impingement system
-don't want a barrel over 10.50 inches, shorter the better
-using factory ammo 209grn and or 220grn

been eyeing Ballistic Advantage barrels from 1/7 twist 8 - 10.5 inches. Whats your recommendation as to barrel length? and maybe why?

As a side note any feedback on this Sig ammo (300BLK 220GR OTM)

Last edited by apcalls on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barrel Length Question Hunting with Suppressed SBR

Post by randyrucker »

Looks like you did your homework. I use a 9 inch AAC suppressed. It's a good length with the suppressor attached. A 10 inch would be fine too. The length is really personal preference and since you are going to be mostly using it subsonic, the extra MV a 10.5 inch will offer of an 8 inch is not significant. I would just focus on getting a quality barrel like Core15 or KAK or whoever you have confidence in to produce good products with good customer service. You can't go wrong with AAC stuff.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I went with a Core 15 9.5" barrel. I couldn't be happier. With handload supersonics, It'll do just under 1 MOA at 100 yards.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

apcalls wrote:First post, been lurking for a while.

Looking for barrel length recommendations for a suppressed sbr build. The weapon will be used as a 100 yard coyote & hog rig. My areas of concern is accuracy (100yrds) and reliable feeding while shooting suppressed. My particulars:

-99 % shots 50 - 125 yards using vortex sparc or eotech
-100 percent suppressed shooting using sub sonic
-gas impingement system
-don't want a barrel over 10.50 inches, shorter the better
-using factory ammo 209grn and or 220grn

been eyeing Ballistic Advantage barrels from 1/7 twist 8 - 10.5 inches. Whats your recommendation? and maybe why?

As a side note any feedback on this Sig ammo (300BLK 220GR OTM)

Hi there and welcome!

I would lean more towards the 10.5" barrel in the case that you decide you want to supersonic hunt and it would get you a little more speed.
I don't think you will have any accuracy issues as they are not reported all that often but I do think you will have a hunting problem with the ammo you mention using.

If your goal is to eradicate animals with little to no care of recovering the animal then your ammo choices are no issue. The ammo you list will not expand at subsonic velocity and there is no hydrostatic shock at that speed so you are going to needle right through whatever you shoot likely leaving it to run off (far away) and die unless you hit the spine or brain/neck areas.

Subsonic hunting is a whole new ball game so you MUST throw out the idea that it is like normal rifle hunting or else you will be unprepared and disappointed. Read every post in this thread viewtopic.php?t=87186 and every link in the 3rd post to begin getting prepared for subsonic hunting.

I cannot mention enough how important it is to drop the mindset that subsonic hunting is like normal rifle hunting. It is more like long range pistol or bow hunting and takes a lot of prep work. Enjoy the read on that Subsonic Hunting Primer thread :)
apcalls

Post by apcalls »

Thanks to all for your inputs. tallburnedmidget reading your subsonic hunting link/post with interest.