how far do you drive to your range

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

danner
Silent But Deadly

Re: how far do you drive to your range

Post by danner »

I haven't measured the distance but it takes me about 10 minutes to get to our range. Before I moved here I had to drive 1-1/2 to 2 hours to get to an outdoor range. That sucked.
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
aleaddict
Silent Operator

Post by aleaddict »

11 minutes from my door to the club... 100 yd underground indoor range. Not bad for living in the LBC.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i have a gun club half a mile from the house. i can move the guns from my safe to 200 yd berm in less than 30 mins, including paying my range fee's and lugging all my stuff. they're only open shooting for a few hours a week though. different story if i wanted to pop for membership.

closest DNR run public range is about 30 min drive.

i have access to private 200 yd range at a friends a little over an hour drive out, and my folks are about 2¼ hours away where we have 100 yd range right in the back yard and just over 600 yds if i wanted to go corner to corner on the big field. at least in theory. i've never setup that yet, so i dont know if the terrain allows it (theres a small rise about half way down the field) 565yds from the barnyard is my typical long range play spot though, there's nice line of sight there.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

100yd range out of my garage into the woods.
Some public range experience I've had:
Moron dressed in black combat fatigues setting clays against the bank, stalking them and firing on them with a shotgun crossing lines of fire.
Moron wanted to shoot my Ruger 22 auto pistol. Fired a couple rounds down range then was holding it upwards telling me what a neat pistol it was with his finger on the trigger. Shot a hole in the range cover roof.

I avoid public ranges.
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

220 yard range at the top of my driveway, maybe a quarter mile, and 40 yard range set up behind the barn, maybe 200 feet from the house. Both private, and for me and mine only.

Gonna set up a few gongs on the ridge behind the house for practice from the deck. I can get one at 75ish, one at 160, and one pushin 300. Gotta clear some lanes though.
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
RickLafayette

Post by RickLafayette »

30 miles from my door to our private 100/200/300/pistol/shotgun range. All club members have a key to the gate. We are surrounded by sugar cane fields and the west levee for the Atchafalaya Basin.
WIshooter13

Post by WIshooter13 »

21 miles ~30min to my range. Everything from 25-300yards to sporting clays.
Gyrkin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gyrkin »

Most people here in Wyoming just go out to public land to shoot. The closest is about 2 miles from me. It's a pretty good spot, and we usually go there when shooting pistols or anything at 100 yards or less. You can shoot out to about 600 yards there, but you have to walk your targets out. Generally when I'm shooting long range I go to a different piece of public land that is about 10 miles away. There you can easily shoot 1000 yards plus, and there is a two track road that you can drive to set out your targets.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

100 yards in my back yard.
1,000 yard private range is about a ten minute drive down the road.
Closest USPSA matches are about a 50 minute drive.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

100 yards off the porch.