Is a higher end barrel the best way to go?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mogunguy

Is a higher end barrel the best way to go?

Post by Mogunguy »

I am going to be working on a 10.5" 300blk upper, I have been putting together a list of parts that I will be needing and the barrel is my last real hold up. I see cheaper barrels around 100 bucks and noveske and other higher end brands up to 500. Is a higher end barrel necessary for accuracy or dependability on a 300 blackout with a 10.5?
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is a higher end barrel the best way to go?

Post by randyrucker »

Personally I would like to have some recommendations from people that have the barrel I'm thinking of buying. I have all AAC stuff but there are a lot of forum members who like KAK products:

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/ ... ite-barrel
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I personally like KAK and Daniel Defense. They are in my 300 blk "go to" uppers. I also have AAC and Diamondback which are really good, but not in my "daily shooters". PSA pistol upper has been great. The only 300 blk barrel I haven't had good luck with was CMMG (tight chamber).
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Quality barrel is the #1 factor to accuracy.
Wilson combat 11.3 is what I have and have no complaints.
It's prob not as much of a factor with dependability. Just depends on how it will be used. If your going to do mag dumps and get it hot enough to brand cattle then just get a cheap one.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Not sure if they make a 10.5 but I have been extremely happy with my 16" Wilson Combat.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

randyrucker wrote:Personally I would like to have some recommendations from people that have the barrel I'm thinking of buying. I have all AAC stuff but there are a lot of forum members who like KAK products:

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/ ... ite-barrel
I have had nothing but POSITIVE experiences with KAK. I have a Mr. Blonde, and service and support has been top notch!
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Well that depends on what you are looking for.
If you want to Name drop, impress your friends and people on the forums, and maybe even retain a higher resale value, then yes.

I happen to be one of the Wal Mart shoppers that I guess lucked out with a 16" ER Shaw and a 8.25" MAS defense.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

My fav is my 9" AAC, but it just squeaks out the win over my KAK "Mr. Blonde"...both aee excellent barrels...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i spluged for the AAC on my pistol build, but i got it on sale :)

my rifle upper is a CMMG and thats been shooting respectably so far.

waiting for the weather to break to get it out and see if i can fine tune it a bit more now that i've made some 'Its winter and i'm bored" adjustments to it :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Mogunguy

Post by Mogunguy »

I am not necessarily mag dumping, I might once in a while lol but I am just building to shoot. I will be running a suppressor in a few months (if the gubment thinks I deserve such a thing) and am loading my own super and subs so I will be shooting quite a bit. I have always bought complete uppers but for my lower I really didnt spare any expense so I thought I would get good parts for the upper. I have a spikes warthog lower, Magpul ACS-L stock, KNS pins, and a POF USA trigger.

I got onto Midwest Industries site because I really like their SSK Keymod Handguard so I looked at their barrels and they have a 10.5" barrel for around 100 bucks, not a bad price but I did not know if it was worth it to "skimp" on a lesser brand.