Under an inch at 100 yds

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

klm109
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Under an inch at 100 yds

Post by klm109 »

Nice . Is that a huge rock your shooting from? Floding up the bi-pod and shooting bags can help tighten up a little. I like that rifle .
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

Thanks. Still looking for a decent buttstock bag locally as I don't want to pay as much for shipping as the cost of the bag!
Concrete shooting bench at our outdoor range
Thanks for the compliment on my rifle

PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

All three of my AR lowers have JP Reduced weight trigger/hammer spring in them. I've shot a number of guns with $150-200 drop-ins that aren't any better. The trigger in my 308 bolt gun is shorter in travel, but once you learn the dynamics of YOUR trigger, sub-MOA groups are pretty attainable with a Mil-Spec trigger with lighter springs.

I install the JP springs immediately, and shoot the trigger group DRY, metal on metal, for about 200-300 rounds. Then I just clean and lube with a basic CLP, and they're FINE. I've never had any light strike issues, but I shoot 90% CCI primers.

Now... Go get that 5-10 shot group inside an inch... 3 is luck. 9 of 10 is a great gun.
JW
Guns are tools designed for dirty work both competitive and defensive. If I meet someone with a well worn gun, I hope their barrel is pointed the same direction as mine if the lead starts flying...
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

I would agree one good 3 shot group is luck
But I have reams of targets at 1.5 - 1.0 inch with two bullets in a half inch, or even touching,
and the third pulled to make the group over an inch.
As I get better at shooting this rifle, the groups keep improving.
Improved trigger should rein in the flyers and make it reliably shoot under an inch
klm109
Senior Silent Operator

Post by klm109 »

If you know someone with a sewing machine bags are easy to make and even light weight bean or rice bags work good. I have 3 small rice bags I use on the stock that vary in size. Some Walmarts carry shooting bags cheap.
What really screws up accuracy is teflon based oils and teflon is toxic . Lighter fluid seems to work well to clean out a clean barrel and dry shoot. What I found that works really well is Shooters Choice FP10. It goes into the metal and then can be patched dry , but its still there and very slick . Read the reviews on Midway. Yes, a good trigger can rid that one bad round that screws up your day.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

AR-300 wrote:
Hi-Speed wrote:What's your setup? (Weapon/optic/etc) Load data would be good to know as well. Nice grouping!

James
16" all PSA build with FN CHF CL barrel
Went to a Troy lo-pro gas block and rail to free float the barrel
Leupold 3-9 X 40 scope, Harris bipod
150 gr Hornady FMJ-BT bullet with 16.0 gr H100, OAL 2.08"
you mean H110 right? :shock:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

plant.one wrote:
AR-300 wrote:
Hi-Speed wrote:What's your setup? (Weapon/optic/etc) Load data would be good to know as well. Nice grouping!

James
16" all PSA build with FN CHF CL barrel
Went to a Troy lo-pro gas block and rail to free float the barrel
Leupold 3-9 X 40 scope, Harris bipod
150 gr Hornady FMJ-BT bullet with 16.0 gr H100, OAL 2.08"
you mean H110 right? :shock:
Yes I did, typo, thanks for the catch. I went ahead and fixed the original post to avoid confusion.
Thanks!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

my pleasure. hopefully we saved some unsuspecting person a really bad oops
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dark_nephi

Post by dark_nephi »

Awesome shooting! Your bullets and rifle look great!
300 blackout: spike upper, 16" 1:8 twist AR stoner barrel, ar15 enhanced BCG, 2.98oz carbine buffer
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Sharp rig there, man...i have been mostly a dedicated subsonic shooter with this cal, and use my other calibers for precision at 100+, but now im gonna have to try to do it with my 9" 300 -- just to see if i can...lol
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".