JP silent spring- yea or nay?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ron Padilla

Re: JP silent spring- yea or nay?

Post by Ron Padilla »

I installed the spring and have only had the chance to run 5 rounds down the tube, what I discovered is that it will need an adjustable gas block and did have one on its way it is a jp as well, so that is now installed now I just need to get to the range and set the gas block.
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

Ron Padilla wrote:I installed the spring and have only had the chance to run 5 rounds down the tube, what I discovered is that it will need an adjustable gas block and did have one on its way it is a jp as well, so that is now installed now I just need to get to the range and set the gas block.
Ron, not exactly sure what you are referring to as far as "it will need an adjustable gas block" but I can tell you with high confidence that IF you DO need an adjustable, it has nothing to do with the JP Silent Capture. There many people, (self included) that are running the JP setup with the stock spring it comes with and very reliably shooting supers and subs with no issue and no adjustable gas block. If you are doing something out of the recommended norm like running a carbine length gas port on subs without a suppressor or too small a gas port then I can see why you may want an adjustable. Not flaming you at all but simply suggesting that you might want to re-evaluate the build if it will not function right without a suppressor.
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
Ron Padilla

Post by Ron Padilla »

with only shooting 5 shots that truly was not worthy of a true example of what to expect out of the pistol, my goal is to tame the weapon so that there is very recoil and rise when shooting the pistol, and I dont feel that I have arrived at that point with the pistol set up the way it is right now. I am not sure if I will get the opportunity to shot it this weekend, and his point I have now also installed the jp adjustable gas block, I will report back if I get the chance to fire the weapon and if it performs how I am expecting it to.
Worn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Worn »

Ron Padilla wrote:with only shooting 5 shots that truly was not worthy of a true example of what to expect out of the pistol, ...
You haven't said what did happen with those five shots. What malfunction did you experience? Maybe you just need the heavier weights on the SCS.

Using the standard SCS, I've shot both supers and subs with my new 7.5" 300 BLK pistol. No problems at all.
My sites:
Constitutionality.us
TakeBackThePower.us
LawsOfGovernment.us
Ron Padilla

Post by Ron Padilla »

Nothing happened in fact I was impressed with the handeling of the pistola, just still had a little more recoil than what I was wanting and it was with the three heavy weights, and it did lock back on the last round in the mag, but then again it was with a D & H mag specific to 300blk, I think that with a little fine tuning with the gass block it will be a great home defense and I can discover that I can tame it with just the gas block I will then put a shorter buffer tube so that it can go in a back pack for concealed carry. And if that becomes the case the JP spring will go in to my 300blk carbine to help tame it down some, and as soon as it warms up a little more I will be out doing more testing. The day we went out was cold and uncomfortable so we could shoot alot, and looking forward to testing more, as I have installed a vortex red/green dot on it and need to fine tune it, and redo my carbine and it's scope.
Worn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Worn »

Ron Padilla wrote:Nothing happened in fact I was impressed with the handeling of the pistola, just still had a little more recoil than what I was wanting
Ah, thinking that you can negate the recoil by turning down the gas. Do let us know how that works out, as I get more recoil than expected. I just have no other 300 BLK to which I can compare so I don't know if what I get is normal or not.

I'd heard that 300 BLK is light recoiling... but compared to what?
....and it was with the three heavy weights, and it did lock back on the last round in the mag, but then again it was with a D & H mag specific to 300blk, I think that with a little fine tuning with the gass block it will be a great home defense and I can discover that I can tame it with just the gas block I will then put a shorter buffer tube so that it can go in a back pack for concealed carry.
I'm using a tube that's just over 7 inches. The JP SCS protrudes about a quarter inch and I have to compress it a bit when closing the upper and inserting the takedown pin. But I am using the shortest tube I could find with the JP SCS. With 7.5-inch barrel, my pistol is 5.04 pounds and 22.25 inches long.

I've also heard that 300 BLK can shoot supers and subs, with and without a suppressor with no fiddling with the gas system. I'm guessing that this applies to a carbine length gas system. I have yet to see if it applies to pistols; I'm still waiting on my tax stamp for the suppressor.
My sites:
Constitutionality.us
TakeBackThePower.us
LawsOfGovernment.us
Ron Padilla

Post by Ron Padilla »

Info I got direct from Jp enterprises is that the spring is intended to work with a carbine length buffer tube and not the shorter tube so I built it with that thought in mind and, and another person who has done some extensive testing and I think he posted in this thread or another that I posted here but it could have been posted on TGo as well, but his response was that if i wanted to truly tame the beast, it would best be accomplished with a gas block and not the spring, so when I noticed the recoil of the weapon at the time I fired it I decided to go ahead and get the adjustable gas block and try it that way. So I still have the 2 ways to test it to see which one will give the results I am after. If it is the gas block that gives the results then it is already installed on the pistol now, it wasnt when I took it out to shoot it, at the time I shot the pistol I borrowed the charge handle from my carbine as I was waiting for the devil dog side charger to come in, so now the pistol is complete just need range time. and if I see that the carbine might need a gas block I saw a new gas block that came out at shot show that I might try, it attaches to the bolt gas block area and is adjustable from there.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Blowout wrote:Nice idea from JP, but the price is keeping me away.
Build your own ... like I did.

Once you get rid of the nasty SPROING of the OEM spring you will never want to go back.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

rimshaker wrote:Cost aside, I could've gone either way. But needing to remove the buffer retaining pin (for convenience), and not being compatible with full auto nudged me onto the nay side. Spent the $140 on a case of ammo instead.
Why wouldn't a captive spring system be compatible with FA?