Joe Bob Dun Got Me for a Side Charging Upper!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Joe Bob Dun Got Me for a Side Charging Upper!

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Well Joe Bob dun cost me for $304.95 on a Cross Hills Ambi Side Charging upper. I've been covetting one for a while and the $40 (11.6% off) black friday deal pushed me over the edge lol.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Black_F ... /16347.htm
Coupon Code: BLACKFRIDAY

I am going to change my sbr from a 7.5" to a 10.5" and the idea of putting my DIY Night Vision on a side charging upper means I don't need to worry about the charging handle getting in the way of the setup!

Now I just need a barrel and MAS Defense has their Black Friday deals up right now with promises of more to come so I plan to score a 10.5" barrel from them.

I should probably start a Black Friday / Cyber Monday thread kind of like the Reloading Components thread. Will do that shortly if one does not exist.
Randygmn
Silent Operator

Re: Joe Bob Dun Got Me for a Side Charging Upper!

Post by Randygmn »

Something about a side charging upper that really appeals to me. I haven't gotten one because of reasons that many might think are silly. First, I don't want to change the manual of arms I've trained with and have the most experience with. For me, any firearm I own has to be battle ready. I don't own anything that can't be fought with, meaning, no safe queens or anything antiquated. The other reason is that it becomes the weak link in my chain if something goes wrong/breaks. Not sure I want to have something where the parts aren't really interchangeable. I know, silly, I guess. Still, the side charger is sexy as hell. Congrats on the decision to go for it.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Randygmn wrote:Something about a side charging upper that really appeals to me. I haven't gotten one because of reasons that many might think are silly. First, I don't want to change the manual of arms I've trained with and have the most experience with. For me, any firearm I own has to be battle ready. I don't own anything that can't be fought with, meaning, no safe queens or anything antiquated. The other reason is that it becomes the weak link in my chain if something goes wrong/breaks. Not sure I want to have something where the parts aren't really interchangeable. I know, silly, I guess. Still, the side charger is sexy as hell. Congrats on the decision to go for it.
This side charging upper uses any mil spec BCG according to it's description:
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan ... -upper.htm

It might get you closer to your goal should u ever decide to make some concessions.
monzahunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by monzahunter »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
Randygmn wrote:Something about a side charging upper that really appeals to me. I haven't gotten one because of reasons that many might think are silly. First, I don't want to change the manual of arms I've trained with and have the most experience with. For me, any firearm I own has to be battle ready. I don't own anything that can't be fought with, meaning, no safe queens or anything antiquated. The other reason is that it becomes the weak link in my chain if something goes wrong/breaks. Not sure I want to have something where the parts aren't really interchangeable. I know, silly, I guess. Still, the side charger is sexy as hell. Congrats on the decision to go for it.
This side charging upper uses any mil spec BCG according to it's description:
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan ... -upper.htm

It might get you closer to your goal should u ever decide to make some concessions.

After getting one of these for an sbr build, I want to convert all of my rifles, they are awesome, and you are right you use your bolt
a skateboard, piece of toast, and two minutes of angle
www.jbsfirearms.com
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

does the profile of that limit your choices in handguards?

and i dont think that style of upper will accept a BAD lever either.

i *love* the idea of a side charger, but those two negatives above (and the price) are holding me back for now.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
monzahunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by monzahunter »

[quote="plant.one"]does the profile of that limit your choices in handguards?

i *love* the idea of a side charger, but those two negatives above (and the price) are holding me back for now.[/quote

I dont know of any handgaurds you cant use, and i have a bad lever on mine, works great
www.jbsfirearms.com
JoeBobOutfitters

Post by JoeBobOutfitters »

plant.one wrote:does the profile of that limit your choices in handguards?

i *love* the idea of a side charger, but those two negatives above (and the price) are holding me back for now.
BAD levers can typically be used on the Right Handed uppers but not the Ambi due to needing the modified bolt catch.

The profile of the upper receiver shouldn't limit you on most handguards, HOWEVER, some handguards have anti-rotation tabs that extend past the front of the receiver face that may hit the Billet upper receiver. MOST billet uppers run into this issue so its not isolated to a side-charger thing. Typically you can clearance the handguard with a dremel in 10 minutes and put some alumablack back over the exposed aluminum. Handguard choice affects this greatly, but can be fixed pretty easily when installing the handguard.
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

You're going to love it. I've been running one from Working Man's armory for several months to see how well it holds up and will probably convert all my rifles.

Plus no gas in the face with a suppressor!

tskwik
Silent Operator

Post by tskwik »

I really like the idea of a side charger, but can't bring myself to justify the price. Blasted JoeBob Dun got me for enough already anyway. :lol:
In a firefight, incoming fire always has the right of way.
monzahunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by monzahunter »

Badfinger wrote:You're going to love it. I've been running one from Working Man's armory for several months to see how well it holds up and will probably convert all my rifles.

Plus no gas in the face with a suppressor!

The no gas in the face is one of the best things about these, plus the BADASSEDNESS factor(i know not a real word)
www.jbsfirearms.com