End of the shouldered Sig Brace?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Toxarch
Silent But Deadly

End of the shouldered Sig Brace?

Post by Toxarch »

The ATF has stated that shouldering the Sig Brace on a short shotgun classifies it as a short barrel shotgun. It can be used as the arm brace only. Does that mean they will make the same decision about shouldering the Sig Brace on the AR pistol?
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/end-sig-brace/
DeaneM1A
Senior Silent Operator

Re: End of the shouldered Sig Brace?

Post by DeaneM1A »

SIG and the ATF are in a major court fight about what defines a suppresor. I expect the ATF to slam dunk SIG every opprutunity they can.
Randygmn
Silent Operator

Post by Randygmn »

No. This has nothing to do with AR pistols. There's a pretty good explanation at another website that explains what this is about.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Another example of the BULLSHIT regulation we live with. The "Govt" has come out and said using the Sig brace to shoulder your pistol (in other words, HOW YOU SHOOT IT) does not change the classification of the gun in question.

Now, some new guy comes in and says, yes it does. Total BS. change the rules everytime somebody new come into this position and its absolute anarchy....

They made a ruling....stick to it. Period
Randygmn
Silent Operator

Post by Randygmn »

Sharkbite wrote:Another example of the BULLSHIT regulation we live with. The "Govt" has come out and said using the Sig brace to shoulder your pistol (in other words, HOW YOU SHOOT IT) does not change the classification of the gun in question.

Now, some new guy comes in and says, yes it does. Total BS. change the rules everytime somebody new come into this position and its absolute anarchy....

They made a ruling....stick to it. Period
Relax. Has nothing to do with ar pistols
regroovable
Silent Operator

Post by regroovable »

An 8" barreled shotgun doesn't qualify as a pistol like the AR pistol does. It is either an AOW or SBS. There is no way to classify a shotgun as a pistol even with a brace.

No need for panties to be bunched.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...don't fall victim to all the media hype, it just propagates the hysteria. :roll:

...if, and I mean IF, there is any movement on trying to reverse the existing ruling on SIG braces with AR Pistols, we do have a political process here in America to prevent changes from being implemented OR having laws changed. Use it, it has more lasting impact than ranting and raving.

...recent events in the political arenas have possibly sensitized politicians to what the populace can and will not tolerate.
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Post by 392heminut »

regroovable wrote:An 8" barreled shotgun doesn't qualify as a pistol like the AR pistol does. It is either an AOW or SBS. There is no way to classify a shotgun as a pistol even with a brace.
This is exactly what the situation is with that letter. I am also of the opinion that it has no bearing on AR pistols.

A smoothbore pistol that shoots shotshells is NOT regarded as a pistol, but as an AOW. That is why the derringers and revolvers on the market that are designed to shoot both .45 Colt and .410 shotshells ALL have rifled bores.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Randygmn wrote:No. This has nothing to do with AR pistols. There's a pretty good explanation at another website that explains what this is about.
Link?

I realize that the letter is not about pistols, but it does say that the classification of the weapon depends on how it is used. So it contradicts the position taken with respect to the Sig brace and ARs. Seems reasonable to assume that one the other of those positions will change.
Mako181
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Mako181 »

It would appear to me that the firearm in question already has some factors that would classify it as an AOW under NFA. Having a smoothbore barrel under 18" with an overall length of less than 26" already classifies it under NFA rules in my understanding. A few decades back I had a Remington 870 with a pistol grip and 12" barrel at one time and had to go through the paperwork & wait but only a $5.00 stamp. Handy little item in the Everglades!! :mrgreen:

ATF Def.

(d) Shotgun

The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
(e) Any other weapon

The term “any other weapon” means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

With this in mind it appears that the weapon in question already needs a Tax Stamp. I may be wrong but to me not an apple to apple comparison. I'll defer to others with more incite and knowledge.