Picking Muzzle devices

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

sucker76
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Picking Muzzle devices

Post by sucker76 »

Your right about the greater concussion on barrels with muzzle brakes. Like I said I won't be shooting much without the can on. On the rockset, I don't think I will ever use any unless I have problems with anything backing off.
Stamp collecting since 2015
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

The rockset report is a little concerning. I'd hate to find out the QD muzzle brake is coming loose by a baffle strike...
What would you guys recommend for the brakes/flash hiders that act as QD mounts? Perhaps Red Locktight?
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

..if you haven't already commited funds to the Saker, take a look at the offerings from Griffin Armament...
sucker76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sucker76 »

I have already bought the Saker with mounts. I read some on Griffin but maybe not enough. How do they compare? Do they have only thread on or QD as well?
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I already bought the saker. I've read far too much good about it and that MAAD mount system is awesome!
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

Use Rockset, use sparingly, people over do it.

Removal isn't that bad, you can soak it in water (which will reduce the Rocksett effectiveness) if you are having trouble with simply breaking it free. Rocksett is very heat resistant (which is why it is used in this application and not Loctite) but it is somewhat brittle and will break at reasonable torque levels if your tools provide proper purchase.
sucker76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sucker76 »

Thanks. This will be my first brake install. Should I use a peel washer or crush washer to time it?
Randygmn
Silent Operator

Post by Randygmn »

RDA wrote:Use Rockset, use sparingly, people over do it.

Removal isn't that bad, you can soak it in water (which will reduce the Rocksett effectiveness) if you are having trouble with simply breaking it free. Rocksett is very heat resistant (which is why it is used in this application and not Loctite) but it is somewhat brittle and will break at reasonable torque levels if your tools provide proper purchase.
Agree. Trying to break free a muzzle device on with Rocksette with too much torque can definitely cause the barrel to warp.
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

What would you guys recommend as a good amount to use?
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

sucker76 wrote:Thanks. This will be my first brake install. Should I use a peel washer or crush washer to time it?
DONT use a crush washer!! The muzzle brake should come a set of very thin shims in different thicknesses. Use one or two (mix n match to find which work) to time the break

Crush washers will not "crush" perfectly perpendicular to the bore and can cause the muzzle device to not be concentric to the bore.