Forum problems

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Forum problems

Post by 300Blk »

Then I would be in a position to have to do what AR15 does - ban people who say bad things about a sponsor (because if a sponsor pays, they want me to not let people say bad things about them, or else they will stop sponsoring the site). Ban people who post ads but are not official industry members. I would have to be a landlord and send sponsors notices that if they don't pay within 10 more days I have to cut them off. I don't want to do any of that. It is easier to just let ads run automatically.

People would still be able to announce new products - just not sell them on the site or give direct links to a store.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

My vote is for whatever works.
I imagine your statistics show enough hits that you have some options to find a good solution.

I mean heck since the site has been down for the past 2 weeks I have had more free time, BUT I am a bit saddened that I can't get to my favorite online community.
Wildcat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Wildcat »

My first ever double post
Last edited by Wildcat on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For LC Headstamp converted to 300 BLK check out my listing
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=79352
-Wildcat
Wildcat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Wildcat »

300Blk wrote:If this site helps you and you do want to contribute something, I would appreciate it. [email protected] Thank you very much.
Robert,
PayPal sent

Thanks for the GREAT forum, I am sure many of us here on the forum didn't realize how often we check the forum until the problems started and we couldn't.

Thanks again,
Steve
For LC Headstamp converted to 300 BLK check out my listing
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=79352
-Wildcat
trinibob

Post by trinibob »

300Blk wrote:I have done it before. People get really upset that they have to register to view the forum. A lot of gun people think registration means that the govt will have them on some list.
is there any reason that a gmail account cannot be used to set up a user profile? I had to use my work email to get notifications of post because my only email for personal use is a gmail account?
you can't replace mass with velocity!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Gmail is working now.

It was banned before because gmail does not do enough to block spammers. Spammers like free and anonymous email because, well, it is free and anonymous.

It turns out that is why normal uses like it also.

Personally I think free and anonymous email is the ghetto of the email world. I have probably never had a serious business inquiry come from a gmail account. Ever.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

300Blk wrote:
Personally I think free and anonymous email is the ghetto of the email world. I have probably never had a serious business inquiry come from a gmail account. Ever.
I use Gmail for my business because I am to internet dumb to figure out how to setup an email associated with my URL that I own and have a website on(that a buddy built in trade for brass). I am sure he would set me up an email address if I asked him.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

You should. It is more professional and costs nothing.

I sometimes get slightly uneasy sending inquiries to gmail addresses as they are so quick and anonymous and free to setup.
Mgoirea
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Mgoirea »

Yes, it is more professional, costs nothing, and you can even use gmail on your new host using gmail custom addresses. So there is a good reason why 300Blk sees so few (or none) business inquiries from gmail.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

People who sent money - thank you. It was enough to upgrade the server for several months. The upgrade happened 5 minutes ago. If things are better now however, I won't really know if it was due to the activity ceasing, or the upgrade. We did go for like a year with no problem with the previous server, so I am skeptical of an upgrade being the answer vs finding a way to shut off abusive traffic.